Author Topic: So....forget about riding a mid-tier horse now?  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Noely

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nords
  • Game nicks: Noely,ArchNoely
Re: So....forget about riding a mid-tier horse now?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 07:17:10 pm »
I dislike the new patches.

Before, you had to grind to get this or that item, AND YOU COULD USE IT. You grinded for x amount of time to buy item x, and then you could play with it, use it, and have more fun because of it.

Now, you have to grind (little less) to get this or that item, and grind even more to use it. You now grind x amount to buy item x, then you grind enough money again so you can equip it without it degreading immediately, and use it. Then, after some rounds, you have to do all the grinding again, to use it for  1/4-1/8 of the time you grinded for it again. And again and again and again.

Right now, everyone has to play in weak equipment all the time (say 1-2 hours) to play 1-3 rounds in their equipment pre-patch.
With the medium and light horses nerfed by their price just like the armoured ones, they will dissapear. Why? To use them, we have to grind just as logn as for our armour now, combine those 2, and then we have to grind aprox. 2-4 hours to play 1-3 rounds in pre-patch equipment AND light/medium horse. Don't even mention heavy ones.

When on foot I use 35k equipment, and that's pretty hard to make money with. With a horse added, and a lance, the repairsmith becomes an empire of its own. Add to that some armour, and he has a monopoly around the world.

Thats pretty much the point, your not supposed to be rolling in top tier gear all the time it isn't what its about anymore, and it solves lots of the other whine where people felt they needed to go for top plate gear or plated chargers to compeate with the other players with those items.

Now players can maintain a 'reasonable' (thats relative to what you think reasonable is i guess) and then bust out their good shit when its going good for them, and at the same time normal players will for the most part have same gear as long term players just without the option to play some rounds here or there with say a flamberge and black armour.

Overall chadz is moving this mod in the right direction with this change and others, and im pretty sure once people get used to what they can and can't maintain they will adapt.
If wishes were horses beggers would ride.

Offline Rendar1970

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 09:41:28 pm »
What if riding skill also gave a deduction to horse upkeep. Just enough so full dedicated cav could use their horse without losing a ton of money. But low enough so people with riding 1 or 2 still have high upkeep.

This would lower the number of cav on maps by making casual cav players have to choose when to use their horse. But allow dedicated horseman more chances to use their horse.

Offline AssPunisher

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 10:03:57 pm »
This change is the best thing that could have happened believe me. I have a HA char and I hardly ever miss so long as I get very close to my target (just outside your spear range). My only weak spot is my horse so, imagine I could afford cataphract every single round - no weak spots unless a very skilled thrower hits me which is extremly hard cause I hardly ever get close to them. The same logic applies to other cav as well. This change brought more balance. +1 chadz

Offline Whalen207

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • If I see that fucking pickle one more time...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: [Guard_Whalen207 [Guard_Whale_Tosser [Guard_Whale_Tank [Guard_Whale_ArrowSpam
  • IRC nick: Whalen
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 10:16:33 pm »
This change is the best thing that could have happened believe me. I have a HA char and I hardly ever miss so long as I get very close to my target (just outside your spear range). My only weak spot is my horse so, imagine I could afford cataphract every single round - no weak spots unless a very skilled thrower hits me which is extremly hard cause I hardly ever get close to them. The same logic applies to other cav as well. This change brought more balance. +1 chadz

Says the Horse Archer, the only thing not to get nerfed enough
 :?
Arma 2, Mount and Blade, Garry's Mod and Coloholics Roleplayer, Coder, Mapmaker and Moderator.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LLJK_DirtyCajun

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Death to Infidel City
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Broback_Mantan Brobike_Motorman
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 10:18:00 pm »
the game is called MOUNT and blade.  It got top billing. 

WHELP

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 10:18:22 pm »
Says the Horse Archer, the only thing not to get nerfed enough
 :?

Whut?  HA's got nerfed in every aspect.  Horses, Archery, Available level and wpf....
Don't be mad because he's being truthful instead of lying to try and get his class buffed, or his counter nerfed.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 10:29:41 pm »
the game is called MOUNT and blade.  It got top billing. 

WHELP

Wrong forum bro this game is cRPG a mod of the game mount and blade:warband
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Don_Otgrebon

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 10:35:25 pm »
Returned to the era of archers (or did not go away?).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 10:37:45 pm by Don_Otgrebon »

Offline MrNicklebe

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 11:03:35 pm »
Well after playing again today I've decided I'm probably just breaking even with the Destrier. I'll win 10-15k one day then lose 10-15k the next day. So I decided to just heirloom my Rouncey which has made it almost as good as the Destrier and under half the price. If I ever get to level 31 I'll heirloom it again and it'll probably be equal.

I think heirlooming cheapo horses is the key to getting a good horse now, not how much gold you have/can get.

Offline Engine

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 12:03:10 am »
I have a Sarranid that I can only use if I feel like burning up 30,000 gold in one night. That's with frequent low-gear switching, which only barely offsets the repair cost of my occasional round in Khergit Elite armor with my heavy pick.

I agree with making armored horses more scarce... but the light cav that wasn't a big threat anyway? REALLY?

Don't like it, think it takes the mod in a really ugly direction.

Offline Stabby_Dave

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stabby_Dave, Squelch, Dave_The_Longbowman, Faggy_Dave
  • IRC nick: Stabby
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 12:21:24 am »
Light cavalry (Light horse + Light armour and mid tier weapons) should be as valid a class as any other. However, i can barely break even using courser, tribal armour/helmet and a heavy lance. Apparently, the threshold or earning money without modifiers is 22k, but that is taken up alone by the courser. The prices were fine as they were.

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Farmers
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 12:51:57 am »
Do heirloomed horses cost more to upkeep, or am I just imagining things?

Good idea on riding reducing upkeep on horses. Make it so only dedicated cav get the bonuses, while dabblers don't.

Cav only rarely top the scoreboard on nice balanced maps. Come an archer box map and they are near bottom. And most of the kills they make on balanced maps are of leechers and people eating bacon sandwiches while playing, ie afkers. Or people with zero situational awareness, which unfortunately includes many in the game, including some super 2 hand duelists. It is not duel server, so pay attention.

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 12:56:31 am »
just dont spawn your horse every round.
some maps is better to go foot enyway.
and sometimes you may find a horse to loot...

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 01:01:59 am »
+1
If you don't want costly gear to show up in the game, just remove it. As it is now, rich characters still can use so-called OP equipment that NOW make them have high k/d.

You really think it is of any fun to constantly switch equipment ? Why do you play in the first case ? To make enough money to play with a big armor during three rounds ? Saying "Yes now you can't use it all the time !" simply means you have to spend some rounds naked to upkeep your armor during a round. That's not my idea of a game.

If you think plate armors are OP (and they obviously aren't with the level capping), fine, nerf them. But please let people play in what equipment they want.

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 01:08:11 am »
if nothing has changed in break chance or repair cost, 25k equipment is what you afford if you constantly have multiplier at 1, if you win some times and run around in 25k gear, you will earn money = afford horse some rounds.......