Author Topic: New Server Standard: 100% Team damage, 100% Reflect  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
Re: New Server Standard: 100% Team damage, 100% Reflect
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 09:26:57 am »
50% damage to your friend, 50% damage to yourself.
I've always liked that setting.
if I make a mistake I should be punished for it.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 09:29:01 am »
No reflective damage. It is horrible.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 10:48:01 am »
My issue with reflective damage is that it stuns you. It's bad enough that you've stunned or killed your teammate, but to have both of you stunned (and possibly both killed) from team damage, in the heat of combat, could leave what's left of either of you in a position to be more quickly dispatched by the enemy, which in turn goes on to hurt the rest of the team more a teamhit or kill already does in the current setup.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:49:30 am by Malaclypse »
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Espu

• The good
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Espu
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 11:03:11 am »
Discussed over 9000 times. Not gonna happen on official servers.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 11:13:59 am »
Discussed over 9000 times. Not gonna happen on official servers.

Glad to hear that.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 11:31:44 am »
you don't get rid of intentional tks, you just adjust the method of deliverance.

Now one person kills another one, he gets -1 all know who did it

Then one person steps into a strike intentionaly of a team mate, same result but harder to spot. Same problem with less deflection, the troll just needs to step more often into strikes of teammates.

Another example, Ranged guy shoots, targets move, teammates move, results in tk and self inflicted death through exident. While our front guy has an arrow in his head surviving, the shooter just falls out of his shoes 300 yards away where no enemies are nearby, how realistic is that?
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 01:45:28 pm »
Missile friendly damage should be reflective and least a small component of it. Melee friendly damage should be normal. The percentage can be argued.

The reason is that there is absolutely no excuse for ranged friendly damage. "He jumped infront of me" is just lame - do not shoot with friendlies too close to you and do not shoot into melee unless YOU take the risk. This cannot be said about melee friedly damage because you have the friendlies near you and attacking the same targets by definition. There it is much harder to avoid the agility stacked friendly jumping into your swing.

The vast majority of me being TK is from melee, but closely rivaling that is me being killed because of a friendly arrow in the back that interrupted me. I think that many friendly archers do not even notice they hit me.  Reflective damage is not so bad in this case (the archer is not under immediate threat and will be killed due to the stun) and even a low % is sufficient to be a "watch out!" reply to a friendly hit without insta-killing him.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 04:01:02 pm »
Dev has spoken, so it's not going to happen.

Teamwounding and TKing will continue at their current rate, so back to the drawing board for other ideas.

I'm pretty surprised  at the mixed response. I guess people just don't see tking/wounding as that big of a deal.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 05:42:30 pm »

Teamwounding and TKing will continue at their current rate, so back to the drawing board for other ideas.

I'm pretty surprised  at the mixed response. I guess people just don't see tking/wounding as that big of a deal.

It doesn't really affect the gameplay in a bad way.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 07:17:58 pm »

its called watch where you are walking and not run circles around enemies that teammates are trying to kill or help you kill.  you learn very quickly where you shouldnt walk and also who is less careful with their swings.

and no, real servers running teamplay games dont run mirror dmg because its stupid.  only shitty pug servers with lazy admins run mirror damage because they are never there to admin the server and their playerbase are awful griefers.  its a shame you've not found well developed teamplay community servers in other games to be knowledgeable on this subject.

Here are 2 of my all time favorites
DoD: Source - 6th Ranger Battalion server
TF2 - ADK GoldRush/BadWater server

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 08:32:19 pm »
Yes, only terrible servers have multiple TKs every round. Which would, by logical progression mean that every CRPG server is a terrible server.

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 12:16:18 am »
Reflect is horrible as it ruins gthe believability of combat and gives rise to abuse by griefers who purposely get in your way

If someone teamkills on purpose, they get dealt with, a lot of friendly fire occurs in war, if the average guy wasn't so greedy for a kill people would back off when five on ones occur, I know I do

This suggestion is horrible, detracts from the immersion and fun of the game or any game, 100 percent damage no reflect bring back monetary penalties for teamwounds and tks

Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 10:08:21 am »
The problem is that I do not know who team-wounded me. All I know is that there were only friendlies behind me and I got an arrow in the back. In melee, if I get hit be a team mate I know who he is and I can avoid him. I cannot avoid the ranged idiots who shoot me in the back.

Offline Classical

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 10:57:13 am »

It is a big deal, but everyone shouldn't be punished by the servers restrictions for people to learn team wounding and team killing is an element in the game to avoid. Often times people will juke around large crowds as they all side swing each other, because this is an element in the game. People need to learn to control their swings in order to win certain skirmishes, not have a mass hilarious genocide because reflection is on at fiftey percent.

You seem like you can't tell the difference between intentional team wounding and accidental (Also team killing, etc), that is enforced as a no, no, and people are usually kicked or warned when this happens. Don't turn on reflection to that extreme just to prevent intentional team wounding (Strip a way an entire element of some of the battles), this is a bad idea. Instead, try to come up with new ways to enforce an anti-intentional team wound, rather than punish everyone.

On a side note, the developer that spoke doesn't have any authority (As far as I know) over the server regulations (Other than don't exploit) of Ecko's unofficial servers, which are all the NA servers, minus TX_BATTLE and a couple others. This could easily be implemented if you make a better case for it, but apparently will not be implemented whatsoever on the EU servers (Official).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 11:01:03 am by Classical »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 11:03:19 am »
The problem is that I do not know who team-wounded me. All I know is that there were only friendlies behind me and I got an arrow in the back. In melee, if I get hit be a team mate I know who he is and I can avoid him. I cannot avoid the ranged idiots who shoot me in the back.

This. A melee teamwounding or teamkilling is usually difficult to avoid (latency, high agi opponent...). But ranged teamwounding is both more dangerous (arrow stun = death in 90% of fights, melee teamwounding usually happens just after the enemy dies so it doesn't grief that much) and way easily avoided. Clever archers shoot somewhere else. Enemy archers, cav... troops that infantry usually can't reach before the enemy infantry is dead. Attacking infantry is usually a poor use of the range advantage, when there are other targets.