Poll

Should riding give same percentage boost as athletics??

Yes, long overdue, queer unbalance that horses get so much faster while infantry gets marginally faster
41 (58.6%)
Yes, but its hould be a minor buff to athletics not nerf to riding
23 (32.9%)
No, infantrymen are fast enough
6 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: June 13, 2011, 04:44:16 am

Author Topic: Make riding give same percentage boost to horses as athletcis does to infantry  (Read 2825 times)

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
I agree. But i won't vote since i really don't like thoses kind of polls that are useless anyway.

I don't know if it's really possible to lower the effect of riding, or to increase the effect of athletics.

And we can all agree that having 5 ath is enough, even with a 24 agi build, whereas for riding, it's always interesting to have more. I hate having 7 athletics, medium armor, and not be able to catch up with an archer with 5 ath who stops me back to normal speed everytime he shoots. And even when he missed, i can't really catch him that fast.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
A tip for the future: If you feel like making a poll and want developers to take it serious, at least 'try' to put up non-biased answer choices.

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
Riding currently gives a much bigger boost than athletics ever since athletics was nerfed in January patch.  So while 8 athletics might make you walk fast (never run), 8 riding will make your horse go from gallop to impossible warp speed (never trot).  Just make the percentage boost the same (also with maneuverability) and this will help the blance a lot with movement speed differences and the benefits it brings.

wanst that the reason why all the horses got -2 speed -2 maneuvrability back than ?

really you and a couple of other people just keep whining and whining, and all the good ideas are lost in the sea of your tears
i think you should create a group with a cool sounding name like "Hardcore anti-four legs league", than you kafein seawind and others could make a brainstorm and come up with ever more whining threads and more creative ways to reach your goal

dont get me wrong you guys are doing excellent job, we got a pike with 300 reach that enables you to attack trough teammates and walls, can you ask for more ? of course you can!

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
And here comes GK, defending the horses for the sake of... defending their playstyle.  :rolleyes:

Edit : You don't need to try fixing anything Torp, you'll just fail. And i did say the poll was stupid and useless, no point there either.

Edit n2 : Yeah, i won't mind. Just saying that it's not because it already got nerfed that it doesn't need another one. Or a fix. ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:48:38 pm by Bulzur »
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
And here comes GK, defending the horses for the sake of... defending their playstyle balance.  :rolleyes:

fixed - take a look at the poll

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
And here comes GK, defending the horses for the sake of... defending their playstyle.  :rolleyes:

Edit : You don't need to try fixing anything Torp, you'll just fail. And i did say the poll was stupid and useless, no point there either.

i stopped defending it a while back, as writing here changes very little if anything, and devs will do what they think is good for the balance, even if i dont agree with some changes i really dont think writing here will help

for me horses can be nerfed to shit and i wont really care, and when they are i dont think the whine will stop, well maybe if they are slower than inf

and i just posted here, to show the whining bunch that got no memory about the changes obviously, and they look like they are posting for the sake of nerfing playstyle they dont like (in before "im a cav i want it nerfed")

carry on, dont mind me ;]

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
I play cavalry and I can confirm almost nothing was done to balance the doubled riding skill points everyone got when the attribute requirement for it went from 6 to 3. Before January, you needed 18 agi to have 3 riding, and you could ride a tier 3 horse with that. No wonder there weren't JetPonies back then. Even the effect of 1 more riding skill is easy to notice. It's hardly the case for athletics.

This is false, the speed and maneuver of all horses was reduced to compensate for the additional points in riding.

I think a lot of you are severely underestimating the capabilities of a horse.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
I personnaly think horses are good enough the way they are but the fact that the speed of some *cough courser cough* let them get you before you can even hear it coming is somewhat game/fun breaking. Im an ex cav but yeah, i dont think donkey team can really change the sound system failure of horses :$ right now even with 3d headset i cant know from where a cav is closing on me...

Edit: can they make it louder for example or would it be possible to fix the 3D sound so that we can hear where its coming from? Or am i asking too much donkey team? :S
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 09:12:46 pm by Siboire »

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp

i am not talking about the poll in this thread (agreed; utterly useless), i am talking about the 'official poll about what items need nerf and buff' poll - as i pointed out earlier, there are very few people who actually think horses should be nerfed - those who do just say it again and again so it feels like alot

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
as a lancer, most of my damage comes from the speed bonus.
If i see a target, I am lucky if i can make one pass without getting damaged, if i have to stab him 3 times and take forever to ride away i am fucked.
Low Armor horses need their speed to do damage and avoid damage.
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
If i see a target, I am lucky if i can make one pass without getting damaged, if i have to stab him 3 times and take forever to ride away i am fucked.

Are you not using the heavy lance??  Most cav players I know can run roughshod through teams (no need for being sneaky) because they outrange all but pikes and long spears.  They tend to ride just to left or right out of their range while 1-hit stabbing at a 90 degree angle with their lance.  Seems quite effective with little risk.  Also, what is your powerstrike?  6 powerstrike is usually enought to 1-2 shot skill with a lance's pierce damage with evena  minimal speed bonus.  Cav don't really need to be all that sneaky nowadays, its really hard to take down there horse as ranged and with good to high maneuverability they can easily avoid pikemen.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Felix

• Baron
  • Renown: 89
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Red_Pike/Oriental_Red

Agreed.

Most cav has 5-6 PD. It allows to onehit people into HEAD, which is quite difficult (torso is much bigger than a head). So it's 2 or 3 hits. On low speed the damage is even lower.  So i strongly disagree with nerfing the riding skill. It's not that fast - i could use more speed (honestly). And speed has it drawbacks too - a simple slash to my legs when i ride at 80-90% speed makes me lose like 50-60% HP.

Why do you want to buff athletics? You don't really want to outrun a horse, do you?  :lol: Or you've got not enough fleeing archers and backshooting?  :rolleyes:

P.S. There are hardly any jetponies - the fastest is courser and every other horse has a speed ranging from 42-44 (mid tier), which isn't fast even with 7 riding. Though champion courser has a 50 speed, which is quite fast - but that's not our issue, it's about heirlooming stats.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:34:38 pm by Felix »

Offline Keshian

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
Agreed.

Most cav has 5-6 PD. It allows to onehit people into HEAD, which is quite difficult (torso is much bigger than a head). So it's 2 or 3 hits. On low speed the damage is even lower.  So i strongly disagree with nerfing the riding skill. It's not that fast - i could use more speed (honestly). And speed has it drawbacks too - a simple slash to my legs when i ride at 80-90% speed makes me lose like 50-60% HP.

Why do you want to buff athletics? You don't really want to outrun a horse, do you?  :lol: Or you've got not enough fleeing archers and backshooting?  :rolleyes:

P.S. There are hardly any jetponies - the fastest is courser and every other horse has a speed ranging from 42-44 (mid tier), which isn't fast even with 7 riding. Though champion courser has a 50 speed, which is quite fast - but that's not our issue, it's about heirlooming stats.

40+ speed sin't fast, but 50 is, lol, you are talking about 5-8% difference in speed.  of course this gets vastly multpiplied by the riding bonus, whicha dds dramatically to both speed and maneuver.  Most unarmored horses are at least 8x faster than infantry with a similar difference in acceleration rate. 

One of the main issues is that its not only a higher percentage boost, but its also a much higher base speed and acceleration that is getting boosted by riding skill, so after 3-4 athletics compared to 3-4 riding it really starts getting ridiculously different rates of speed.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:40:33 pm by Keshian »

Offline Felix

• Baron
  • Renown: 89
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Red_Pike/Oriental_Red
Hm... what about this - athletics makes you faster free of charge (only skill points are spent). Riding by itself doesn't make you faster - you need to buy a horse and to pay upkeep for it   :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:47:46 pm by Felix »

Offline Keshian

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
Hm... what about this - athletics makes you faster free of charge (only skill points are spent). Riding by itself doesn't make you faster - you need to buy a horse and to pay upkeep for it   :mrgreen:

Ah ha, what about this: your armor slows you down, rain slows you down, longer weapons equipped slows you down, but nothing slows you down when riding.