Author Topic: 1h build help  (Read 2078 times)

Offline slothscott

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: AEF_BigBird
1h build help
« on: May 31, 2011, 09:50:16 am »
I'm currently trying to build a 1h and i've reached a fork in the path ( currently at 15/15 ) , I originally thought I would stop strength at 15 but I notice I thud constantly on anyone with 40ish armour +, unless I use a pierce weapon.

Anyway in your opinion should I go for 24/15 , 18/18 or 15/21, Will the extra dmg benefit me more than the speed or vice versa?

Thankyou

Offline Lezard

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
Re: 1h build help
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 10:54:33 am »
Most will probably suggest 21/15, 24/15 or 18/18, however I'm really liking my current 15/24 build. I'm used to playing native, so I like speed. Speed, unpredictability and flexibility is what gets me kills. Besides, I've tried all the other popular shield builds, and they all bore me to death. I wouldn't go 15/21 though, you need that extra athletics from the 15/24 build if it's going to make a significant difference. However, I don't think this build is for new people who can't take advantage of the speed to it's full potential.

I'm mostly using the Niuweidao and rarely bounce if I get clean hits. I'd definitely add a blunt weapon or steel pick for a tincan opener. Armor should be light or medium.

Remember, your shield is your armor.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 11:08:08 am »
Tips to prevent glancing blows as a 1h: make sure you hit at the apex of your swing. Try to use footwork and timing to make sure you always barely hit with the point of your blade. Try to swing at maximum range. When too close, use an overhead swing and go for headshots. Also try to move into swings by stepping forward and try to get your enemy to step into your swing. And if all else fails, go for a pierce or blunt weapon. Sacrifice the reach of the blades for the reliablility of the picks, hammers and maces.
When close, go for a left-to-right swing over and right-to-left swing. And turn into your swings a bit to make them land a bit faster.

I'd go for 18/18, it gives you the extra bit of athletics you need to face multiple opponents and be able to chase most archers. 21/15 is also a very popular shielder build.

Offline slothscott

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: AEF_BigBird
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 11:21:34 am »
Thanks for the replies, how would you go about a 15/24 build I seem to always be short on skill points.

Edit: I really like the military sickle, speed, dmg no thuds so I don't mind keeping 15 str, but if 15/21 is bad then  :?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:22:36 am by slothscott »

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 11:42:40 am »
Can't do 15/24 as a shielder without sacrificing too much. Go 15/21 then, which is a fine build, especially with pierce or blunt weapons.
Go powerstrike 5, athletics 7. The rest is up to you. I'd probably sacrifice a couple of points out of iron flesh to get shield 6 or 7 and weapon master 6 or 7.

Offline Espu

• The good
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Espu
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 11:57:42 am »
Optimal 15/21 shielder:

Level 30
Strength: 15
Agility: 21
Skills to attributes: 2
Ironflesh: 3
Power Strike: 5
Shield: 7
Athletics: 7
Weapon Master: 7
One Handed: 164

Works brilliantly with steel pick. Fast, decent damage, good shield durability. Swap 3 IF and 2 WM for riding to get a cav hybrid.

Alternative: 12/24 shielder
Level 30
Strength: 12
Agility: 24
Ironflesh: 1
Power Strike: 4
Shield: 8
Athletics: 8
Weapon Master: 8
One Handed: 173

Like the one above, but with even more awesome.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 12:00:30 pm by Vargas »

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 12:15:15 pm »
1h/cav hybrid (works great)

Level 30
Strength: 18
Agility: 18

Power Strike: 6
Shield: 5
Athletics: 6
Riding: 6
Weapon Master: 6
One Handed: 150+

HP is a bit low, but you can do just as well on foot. I use a fast shield to speed up my game a bit. I usually don't have any trouble fighting anyone and mostly lose due to a lack of skill, not a weakness in the build.
If your timing and footwork is good to excellent, always go for a sword. The reach is just too good to pass on. The extra damage from picks and hammers is nice, but you have to get in someones face. That will be a problem when fighting great mauls/long mauls.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 12:20:36 pm »
Jup, that's my favorite build Spawny just posted. After 9 generations, i keep coming back to that old 18/18 1h cav build. :)

Offline Lezard

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 12:22:42 pm »
Keep forgetting people want to retire, unlike me.

15/24 is starting to get really good at 31-32.

Level 30
Skills to attributes: 8
Weapon Master: 5

Level 31
Attribute to skill points: 1
Shield: 6
Weapon Master: 7

Level 32
Attribute to skill points: 2
Shield: 8
Weapon Master: 8

If you want fast with steel pick and retire, I'd go with Vargas's 12/24 at lvl 30. I personally try to avoid the steel pick if possible.

Edit: You could get the same build and even more skill points at lvl 33, but it's a long shot and not really realistic in my eyes.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 12:25:13 pm by Lezard »

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 12:28:26 pm »
I've done 24/12 (lvl 30) and 27/12 (lvl 31) and they work okay, but not great. They're both very situational builds, as the low athletics really pushes your footwork and situational awareness.
In battles you will often find yourself overwhelmed.
Those builds shine in siege mode, as you will 1 hit kill just about everyone when you couple it with a +3 steel pick. The small spaces to move around in lower the need for high athletics and the short pick makes sure it never gets caught in walls.
8-9 PS + 70+ hp + heavy armour + heavy board shield + steel pick = badass tank.

For battle or 1h cav I'd recommend my previously posted 18/18 build or 21/15. Both are fast enough to compete and deal enough damage to prevent glancing all the time.
To make it a cav build, swap IF for riding and you're done.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline LordSnow

• Knight
  • Renown: 57
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Snow
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 02:09:08 pm »
Classical 18/18. Realy usefull for teamplay and you can win 1VS1 with a good 2handers if you got some skill.

Put 5 in cav for hybrid, or go for if, with heavy armor, it's realy good.
Damn. It's snowing again.

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 09:04:55 pm »
I have played several generations as a 1 hander.  I did all the builds 24/15 , 18/18 or 15/21, but the best one was 21/15. 

Strength: 21
    Agility: 15
    Hit points: 70

Ironflesh: 7
    Power Strike: 7
    Athletics: 5
    Riding: 0
    Horse Archery: 0
    Power Draw: 0
    Power Throw: 0
    Weapon Master: 5

One Handed: 148
    Two Handed: 1
    Polearm: 1
    Archery: 1
    Crossbow: 1
    Throwing: 1

This way you got enough power strike so you do not constantly bounce off armour the 7IF is nice too you will survive a chaotic battlefield longer, and with 5 athletics you enough speed to keep up with almost anyone.  Plus the 1 extra point in shield really comes in handy. 

By far the best mix of survivability, killing power and speed for a  1 hander. 

P.S  I found that the best choice for heirloom for a 1 hander is not a weapon but a shield.  A heirloom shield will let you survive longer.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:06:25 pm by Formless »
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 09:29:21 pm »
While it is too late for my suggestion I had blast with 24/12

Allows you to hurt your enemy no matter the weapon and kinda forces you to practise manual blocking since your shield will be destroyed relatively quickly, although, I was using a heavy heater shield and so I guess the heavy board or huskarl one will work better.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Lezard

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 10:15:25 pm »
Conclusion: Every shield build that's been posted is good, you simply have to adjust your tactics depending on what build you choose. Also, choosing the right weapon and armor for your character is just as important as the build itself.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 12:20:05 am »
While it is too late for my suggestion I had blast with 24/12

Allows you to hurt your enemy no matter the weapon and kinda forces you to practise manual blocking since your shield will be destroyed relatively quickly, although, I was using a heavy heater shield and so I guess the heavy board or huskarl one will work better.

24/12 with a heavy board shield is too slow. The weight of the shield and the low speedrating on the shield itself will make you really sluggish.
Does a lot better with an elite cav shield or knightly heater though.