Author Topic: Escape from Tarkov  (Read 33915 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Escape from Tarkov
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2018, 06:38:18 pm »
Kiver is useless, comtacs are far better. Every rifle round goes through kiver.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2018, 07:08:26 pm »
Isn't it still decentish against scavs and pistols an shit

I tried comtacs as well, some hardcore ASMR. Seriously improved hearing though, that's for sure

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2018, 07:14:04 pm »
It helps against some 9mm and shotguns but comtacs give such a huge advantage that it's not really worth it.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2018, 05:41:19 pm »
Man I keep getting lucky. I'm on "Bad rep evidence" Prapor task, where you need to pick up a document from a locked trailer on Customs. The key to this locked trailer apparently spawns in Factory locked room on top floor where offices are, but to access that you need the Factory key.

So my plan was to simply hatchet run farm the Factory key on Customs first. On my first hatchet run I sprinted straight to dorms, killed a few scavs, looted pretty much all the rooms, got the gas station key and the key I actually need for my task. So basically skipping the Factory part (though I guess I'll want to farm the Factory key one day as well). Killed a scav with 6B helmet, found a wallet in one of the lockers, went to the task trailer, got the document, opened the weapons case that was there, got an M4 and extracted lol.

Could really use the key chain thing right now though, my inventory is getting littered with keys.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 05:44:21 pm by Vibe »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2018, 01:12:23 am »
Welp, had to "pay" for all the good luck with a very frustrating end to a 1v4 (all 4 geared). And I was a hatchling. I spawned on Customs in the building that has 2 arms crates, looted it and got 2x AKS-74U, loaded. I hear footsteps outside, they open the door and I start firing. Nobody dies, but I can hear one of them rotating to the open part of the building on the other side, they throw a few nades in, they were playing very slow/defensive. At this point I thought it was just 2 guys, so once the other guy rotates, I charge out the back door to find 2 guys standing just outside. They were so unprepared and shocked by this crazy ass hatchling with dual looted AKS-74U that I gunned them both down before they even managed to fire a bullet.
I quickly loot one of the guys, kitted out AK-74N with a 60 bullet mag, helmet, armor, great, enough to fight the last guy without getting instagibbed. I drop both aks because they're out of ammo. Didn't have time to loot the other guy I killed in the back, because their friend rotated back and already started firing at me, so I run back inside the building. Now I play it defensively, I can hear him munching around the building, after a while he tries to enter through the back door, I start firing at him, he must've taken some bullets so I take this opportunity to again rush out the other side of the building.
While I'm outside rotating to the backside of the building where he was, the looted AK-74N I was carrying simply disappears, nowhere to be found, gone from my inventory, not on the ground, I'm left with a fucking hatchet, lmao.
To end it, I ran back inside the building, waiting for the last guy to run in and kill me, at this point I thought I was in a 1v3 initially with the last guy standing. Was actually 2 people that came rushing in, so it was in fact a 1v4. Ending abruptly to one of the most climax killing bugs ever lol. Was a great fight up to that point. What a load of chumps regardless :lol:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 01:15:34 am by Vibe »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2018, 01:43:57 am »
+2
Kinda talking to myself at this point, but still, this was my most successful raid combat/kill wise so far (on Customs):

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Was one fight vs a duo and after that a fight vs a 3 man group. I was injured in the legs right from the start from a fight with 3 scavs (I was kinda careless). Still managed to kill a duo that was trying to camp me at the old gas station and then jumped another trio that was inside the new gas station. After that I was injured in the stomach so I had to extract quick before I died from dehydration. Too bad I didn't have enough space to take all their guns, but I still managed to grab an AKM, OP-SKS and an M4, all fully modded. And 5 high-ish level dogtags of course.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 01:48:40 am by Vibe »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2018, 05:18:26 am »
+1
I'm so decked out that I don't have the patience to play safe anymore, because loot means absolutely nothing. Which in turn means I die to people sitting in a random bush a lot because I sprint around making noise. Ended up deleting 40 forts and a dozen iCases just so I could have ten ready-to-go kits because gearing up again by buying 50 different things was the most annoying part.

So you should cherish what you have now, a lot of people do hatchling runs for the tasks and to get loot, but I think that's shooting yourself in the foot. The game is so much more fun when you're afraid of dying, and when you still have tasks to do and loot to care abut.

Worst part for me is that I might go into a raid and meet 8 hatchlings and 1-2 super low geared people, and if I play slow and careful in a raid like that and waste 40 minutes I feel like jumping off a bridge. On the other hand, if I play aggressively and turn a corner into a 4 man fully geared squad, I'm dead for sure.

I still play it quite a lot simply because there's no other game that scratches the same itch, and the firefights are awesome, but I'm mostly waiting for a wipe and the next big patch at the moment. Their development pace is pretty great, which is a very good thing, and there's new content every month and then a huge content patch every 2-3 months. I'm also almost level 60, so I still got a lot of playtime out of this patch, so not really complaining. New map + all kinds of other content + nerf to hatchling runs + wipe will make it feel like a whole new game again.

Also dying to lag/bugs can be really fucking annoying, but I watched a DayZ stream yesterday which put things into perspective a little... people and zombies were still literally teleporting everywhere, with the clumsiest combat ever, almost 6 years after launch. Literally no change. What a garbage game DayZ turned out to be, and what a shame it is when it had so much potential. But I'm not that disappointed, because Tarkov is a much superior DayZ to me. I much prefer the raid format too, where firefights are pretty much guaranteed, but you still don't know exactly where they'll happen, and there'll be slow play and quiet times too. Plus, zombies are boring as fuck as enemies.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 05:24:35 am by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2018, 02:00:48 pm »
+2
Exhibit A of why I hate hatchlings:

Hear a guy going through a bag in there, but have to assume he's geared, and after the grenades and getting him via blind fire through the window, turns out I could've just ran in there and hatcheted him in the face. God damn time wasters.

Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2018, 02:18:20 pm »
+1
Bonus clip, Fort+Fast squads playing like they're invincible is pretty hilarious:

Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2018, 04:17:27 pm »
+1
I'm so decked out that I don't have the patience to play safe anymore, because loot means absolutely nothing. Which in turn means I die to people sitting in a random bush a lot because I sprint around making noise.

Yeah I've noticed this pattern a lot as well. Patience kinda wins in this game, I guess it's realistic, but whoever gets the drop on someone is going to win the fight from my experience, unless they really fuck up their aim (I don't know how, because most of the guns don't have a lot of recoil). I wish TTK was a bit higher so the one who gets the drop would still have advantage, but it wouldn't be a guaranteed win.

So you should cherish what you have now, a lot of people do hatchling runs for the tasks and to get loot, but I think that's shooting yourself in the foot. The game is so much more fun when you're afraid of dying, and when you still have tasks to do and loot to care abut.

I've been going in geared pretty much all the time now, so I agree. The fear of dying with gear makes raids exciting, even though my stash is full all the time and I actually had to vendor sell fuckloads of guns lol. The only hatchling run I do is the Factory key and marked room (for keybar) on Customs, and that's because if I take gear I'll never be fast enough to beat other hatchlings to dorms. Still no luck on those two items, but I did find a Docs case which helps.

Bonus clip, Fort+Fast squads playing like they're invincible is pretty hilarious

I think it has more to do with squads than armor. You know how I won that 1v3 at new gas station from my last post? They literally ran out one after another through the same door, like fucking lemmings. All I had to do was gun them down. People are clueless and are used to getting carried by the fact that outnumbering someone in this game is a huge advantage.

But generally I've been really pulled in by this game. I didn't expect it to pull me in this much, to be honest. Even with all the bugs and occasional clunkiness. I like the gunplay, the immense weapon modding and mechanics and animations connected to it. The armor and health system, how looting works. It's just on another level compared to DayZ. And yeah I prefer the raid format as well, faster paced, more action. Then you also have the tasks, which bring some meaning and goals to your raids, love those as well.

Some things that I dislike:
- some skills are downright stupid, in both what they provide and how they level. Strength being the main culprit here, of course. I love that there's a skill system in the game, it's a cool feature. But these skills should level naturally when you play. You shouldn't need to do stupid actions repeatedly that you wouldn't even think of doing in a normal raid, and that certainly shouldn't be the only way to level it. And once you do max it, you shouldn't be able to do this lol https://clips.twitch.tv/SecretiveLivelyCockroachGrammarKing
- grouping up is absurdly strong and makes this game a walk in the park. Groups should be matched only with other groups (+-1 member).
- sound, especially vertical, really needs to be adjusted. Sometimes it's really hard to tell where the enemy is from sound.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2018, 05:32:47 pm »
Yeah it's been a long time since a game pulled me in as much as Tarkov, and they add a lot of cool content with all the big patches.

Strength leveling is dumb but the best way to level it is to find a docs case, or better yet, two of them, and fill it/them with factory maps. Then just put them in your container and go on raids. No need to do anything special. You'll level up your strength passively like that, as long as you've got some other decently heavy gear on you as well.

I dunno about grouping up being that absurdly strong though, there are negatives it as well. You make more sound and it's more likely you'll be seen first. And I do a lot better solo than I do in groups, especially when those groups have inexperienced players. Worst thing about groups is thinking you got them all and going to loot, only to be sniped by the last surviving member.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2018, 04:09:20 pm »
This is the quality of most squads I run across, hence my not being very concerned about them:

"Oh my buddy died, let me just go walk on his bod- oh I'm dead"
"Fuck, both my friends are dead, better make a LOT of noise so that the enemy could shoot me even if he was blinder than Daredevil"
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2018, 10:52:47 am »
New patch: https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/84c32v/preliminary_patchnotes_07/

Hopefully vertical audio is good now and servers perform at least a bit better. Shoreline was really bad the last days.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2018, 11:15:32 am »
Oh fuck, didn't even notice. Vertical sound is potentially HUGE. That was one of the major issues in the game.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2018, 10:21:15 am »
Sounds seems a bit better now. It's definitely not great yet, I'm kinda spoiled by great sound from games like Siege, heck even PUBG does it kinda well now. But it's getting there. Your own footsteps are a bit lower in volume now as well, so it doesn't sound like they're actually coming straight from your head.

In terms of maps, I would say that Customs is my favourite right now, followed by Factory. While I like the openness of Shoreline and Woods, I often get shot unknowing where they are, because there's so many potential spots they could be at. Also more bush campers.