Author Topic: samurais weapons  (Read 5451 times)

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
Re: samurais weapons
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2011, 11:21:25 pm »
And now a generic example for all you naysayers:

Problem: If we made item X like it is in real life it would be the best weapon in the game.

Step 1:  Make the item just like real life.
Step 2:  Make it cost somewhere between a fuck-ton and a metric fuck-ton.

Which presumes quite a bit about how people value in-game currency, the extremes which players can take their builds, and the limitations of in-game mechanics.  Milanese plate, for example, historically cost more than any serf could afford [in their lifetime] yet here it's available to everyone if they play for a few hours with cheaper gear.  Milanese plate, also, was near-impenetrable against most projectiles shot from most kinds of bow.  In cRPG such an armour would be game-breaking, and thus arrows (especially head shots) can be considerably effective against plate.  Milanese plate suits also covered knights from head to toe, allowing almost no direct weapon-to-flesh contact from all but the pierciest of piercing weapons.  In cRPG a slashing scimitar, slashing at the chest, can often harm and stagger another player in Milanese plate.  All of these eccentric features are then exacerbated by extreme builds which can earn more money faster, shoot for more damage, and hit through almost any armour with any weapon. 

Though it's silly to spend time arguing for/against largely contiguous theories about in-game design and balance, it's even more silly to say that the such contentions can be solved so easily by cost.  There's a reason why, after so many patches and iterations, players can make reasonable arguments concerning legitimate imbalance.  It's not that devs are stupid, nor that all players are whiners, but that it's a far more complex issue than you're making it out to be.  I posted what I did so people wouldn't get caught up in the can of worms which is cRPG realism and re-focus on the game which we're all playing.

Offline Jack_Luminous

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2011, 04:51:45 pm »
+1 to Diomedes for that last post.

And my .02$ on the katana thing.  Pretty much all of the japanese blades I've seen have a sharp, useable pointy end, whether it actually got used in combat or not would be up to the guy holding the other end of it...  There's no doubt in my mind however that any fighter worth his salt wouldn't hesitate to stab an opponent given an opening, the winners got to argue about stuff, the others were awful quiet most of the time.

What did these guys do seppuku with anyway?  Tanto, wakisashi or katana?  I'm guessing you'd want the end to be pointy for that...

Jack

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2011, 05:09:09 pm »
The katana allready has its niche, it's basicly the exotic bastard sword, keep it that way. Fighting someone with a MW katana is quite annoying anyway, it does not need a lethal stab aswell.

Offline Kharn

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Khergit
  • Game nicks: Kharn, Oneshot_Mcgee, Flash
  • IRC nick: Kharn
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2011, 01:13:45 pm »
@Diomedes
I had to stare at  your reply for some (long) time, because it never actually disputes what I said. Though it does "insult" the idea of expressing it it and give a sample problem that you think my methodology can not solve.

I think this is my fault though, because I must have not communicated well enough my methodology. But...I'm not sure how much clearer I can make it than 2 steps but I will try restating: First make the game real, then make the game playable/fun possibly at the cost of realism, but while removing very little realism. Meaning that: I am disappointed, yet accepting of losing realism when its required or too difficult to achieve. Balance is always possible if you try to achieve it, it can either be built upon realism or it can be built upon whatever you call removing thrust from a weapon that thrusts (i call it ridiculous) .

Side Note: I did a poll 2 months ago about realism. It asked "Do you think CRPG should have more realism or more fun"  2/3 of our playerbase chose more realism. A shift is obviously due.

Here is my comments on your statements in order:

You start off by appearing to put down my statement claiming I was "taking for granted" how valuable currency is. This is in no way a notable statement because this is already done. Every item has a price set to buy it by the developers which is based on assumptions of what will control people from buying it.

You say I take for granted "the extremes which players can take their builds" -- I Have no care how people place their stats, that is irrelevant here. If you are talking about gear, any extremes with what people are equipping can be fixed by setting repair costs of items to the level that restricts them.

"limitations of in-game mechanics" -- I "take for granted" nothing of the in game mechanics. I know what many of them are all-ready but that doesn't matter. If it cant be done, it cant be done. Why even talk about it...

"Milanese plate...historically cost more than any serf could afford in their lifetime" The real world is its own separate unrelated economics system that is influenced by way more than crpg ever could be. That price does not apply in CRPG because RL price is a result of real world supply and demand.  The demand for plate in Europe is much higher than that of CRPG. The only constant that gathered for use in crpg is the supply.
The solution here if you wanted to be historically accurate, would be to find at the % of soldiers in mid-evil times wearing full plate. Then, continue to adjust the cost of plate until that percent of players are using plate. Simple.

As far as the plate being in reality a "god suit"..... What is wrong with spending 98% of the time playing in regular gear so you can save up for the insane repair costs of a few rounds of "god-mode" ? . In game would occasionally be a round where an player can afford to spawn in plate and it takes several people to bring them down. I think plate should be a rarity in game as it was in RL. The repair system was a step in the right direction, but making plate even more rare/expensive but better in exchange would be a good move and would not unbalance the game.

"It's silly to say that the such contentions can be solved so easily by cost" / "It is a..complex issue" to solve------  LOL... well to argue this would be hours arguing a world view. I am a libertarian capitalist. I believe EVERYTHING can be solved with the free exchange of money. Especially complex issues.

----------------------------
Anyways, I like you diomedes, I wrote this TL;DR type response for the fun it. Saw a challenge in replying to what you wrote because I came up dumbfounded for so long at the start.

As far as the original topic of this conversation: This should be a completely one sided discussion.
There is no reason given why a weapon that was used for thrusting cant be used for thrusting. This is ridiculous. If you are going to call something a Nodachi you have to have it be a Nodachi, otherwise its just utter BS.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 01:16:51 pm by Kharn »
If your name is on either of these 2 lists: http://goo.gl/0SEqf -- http://goo.gl/I3SFf
And you want to be on youtube dueling famous fighters. Add imkharn to steam.
To see existing videos go here: http://www.youtube.com/user/imkharn