Author Topic: Underrail  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Underrail
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 03:07:21 am »
Yes, I just took 25 points tailoring because I wanted to make repair kits for my new armor and because no shops in SGS had any I thought I had to craft them myself. But just found a shop selling them in Junkyard, so those points are wasted. Seen some people have fun with crafter builds, though.

I've made a pistol and knife sneak character. Love the traits, such as kneecap shot and cut-throat and hit-and-run. Combat is pretty amazing in this game. Sneaking around and killing raiders silently with a knife in deserted stations and rock tunnels is very engaging, especially because of the high difficulty turning each encounter into something interesting, and something you want to approach tactically. The more I understand of this system the more I'm impressed by the underlying complexity.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 10:41:59 pm by Angantyr »

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 08:32:27 pm »
Pistol, crossbow and assault rifle seem to be the most useful weapons. The sniper rifle is kinda shit and so are the high damage energy weapons. In general id say pretty much all high damage weapons are just not worth it. 1 shot per turn and some movementpoints and thats about it. Compared to multiple stabs or pistol shots and a psi attack(tested on my cheating char, seemed most viable), or maybe even a nade, or the healing hypo.

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 10:39:40 pm »
Just got to the mutant base in Depot A and the challenge is a bit overwhelming. I'm level 6.

Offline Tibe

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 10:46:01 am »
I dont think that mutant base is beatable in combat. Even with proper preparations with my cheating character, who was good at everything, I couldnt win them even after 8 tries(atleast). Used psi powers and regular weapons perfectly, planted mines, threw nades and that place still ended me.

I assume the only way to win there at all is use armor that makes you basically immune to acid damage. With my regular character I just said fuck it and went around that place.

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 03:51:58 pm »
Alright, because I'm very near to trying either a new sneak pistol/knife character (fucked up some traits aswell and wasted some points on crafting and it seems I probably need some trap detection plus the extra xp from disarming them) on easy difficulty, or making a heavy armor character with either pistols or assault rifles on medium again, though I'm very reluctant to start all over. And I was unsure if it would even help. Or go out and kill random encounters and pick locks etc. and try to get a level or two.
I know people can handle the area from various threads on the internet, but they are either at least level 8 or they've played it in earlier versions, and yes, mostly people are gamey and reload the encounter(s) that have a chance of dropping that acid protection armor (or they craft it). How strong was your cheat character?

How did you go around it, did you just report to SGS that you couldn't do it? And if you didn't get the drill, do you just use explosives instead to open up the closed tunnels?

It's a shame though, it a nice area. But I guess I can always return and explore it at a higher level.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 04:01:50 pm by Angantyr »

Offline Tibe

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 04:27:40 pm »
The cheating char had low hp due to low lvl. All attributes 10,  skills 100 and some pretty powerful traits. So I did pretty decent pistol and melee damage. And had max dodge and evasion skill. And to be honest even at lvl 100 the dodge and evasion didnt really dodge or evade shit even at the earliest stages of the gaem. Enemies still managed to hit me 8/10 occasions(except regular wolfhounds those hit me around 5/10), which I find an absolute waste of points. They arent worth it, if you consider the fact that there is more useful skills to invest in. An accurate as hell enemies will come around, I assume, when you are allowed to have your skills at max 50 points. And they almost always hit me even when I was 100. So yeah...do the math. :lol:

I got around them from an underground lab-ish type of place. It had sentry bots, doing their typical patrolling, they were easy to sneak past. When i got above ground I had to sneak past a few mutants, but that was significantly easier, then trying to sneak past them in that other area. Than went and talked to that guy in the shack, he told me the thingy is inside the barrel near and I snuck back.