Author Topic: Documentaries  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Documentaries
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 09:55:42 pm »
+1
I prefer reading to watching TV when I have lazy time
Wasn't long ago I even got a TV in the house again. It's never on though, unless I have guests and if I don't read I listen to an audio book or as I said some lecture (use both for commuting aswell). On the rare event once half a year or so when I do turn on the TV together with someone it's almost a psychedelic experience; commercials, sit coms, reality tv, talk shows, incessant noise and idiocy, and we quickly reconnect it to something sane through the internet.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 11:00:38 pm by Angantyr »

Offline ecorcheur_brokar

• Earl
  • Renown: 482
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • The guy who kill with one blow
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brokar/SuisseMonCervela/CheeseInMyPants
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 10:38:34 pm »
So here is the promised site http://documentaryheaven.com/citizenfour/ . Just watched citizen four on it (great to see btw) but it seems there's a lot of documentaries.
"With great bardiche comes great responsability"
"The wolf doesn't care how many sheeps may be"

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 11:12:24 pm »
I can also recommend Citizen Four.

And in line with this, a Glenn Greenwald talk on civil rights at the University of Texas, basically a summary of his work the last years.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 11:31:42 pm by Angantyr »

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 11:33:47 pm »

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 07:55:01 pm »
Super smash bros Melee documentary

(click to show/hide)

Wont teach you a thing, but hey video games. Havent played the game more than a few rounds, watched the full 4 hours though and got kind of nostalgic at the end. Its just interesting to delve into different competitive video games, id like to think it helps me improve my skillz somehow, broadening my gaming knowledge. Makes me dream what crpg shouldve been.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:38:26 am by Gravoth_iii »
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 08:16:46 pm »
+1
If you haven't seen it I recommend watching Knuckle. Its a documentary that follows some irish gypsy families that vcr each other trash talking tapes and then beat the fuck out of eachother.

Great stuff shot over a really long time period.

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 08:35:34 pm »
+1

Offline cup457

• Earl
  • Renown: 490
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RavenR_cup457
  • IRC nick: cup457
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 09:17:40 pm »
Der ewige jude
CUP CLAN BEST CLAN
Okay, I need your protection, your love. :P

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2015, 04:05:27 pm »
+1

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2015, 04:45:49 pm »
+1
I have a bunch of WW2/Korea/Vietnam documentaries on DVD at home. If I can dig em out and get the names you'll probably be able to easily find em online.

Also if anyone knows any good military history/anicent history related documentaries. Science or other kinds of history really don't interest me that much.

I'd avoid TED talks if I were you, they used to be good and a rare few still are, but you have to sort through mostly trash to find em and I don't find it worth it.
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2015, 04:29:00 am »
+1
I have a bunch of WW2/Korea/Vietnam documentaries on DVD at home. If I can dig em out and get the names you'll probably be able to easily find em online.

Also if anyone knows any good military history/anicent history related documentaries. Science or other kinds of history really don't interest me that much.

I'd like some recommends from your DVD collection. I've been watching WW2 in HD and Vietnam in HD on Netflix - I like that the majority of them is actual footage. Bonus if you got anything with crackly radio transmissions or radio/TV news recordings. It puts me in a dark place mentally but I also enjoy it??? I dunno. I guess I like realistic post-apocalypse stuff for the same reason.

As far as historical military stuff, are you looking for ones that cover military tactics and specific battles or more biopics of historically significant military people?

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2015, 06:11:34 am »
+1
I'd like some recommends from your DVD collection. I've been watching WW2 in HD and Vietnam in HD on Netflix - I like that the majority of them is actual footage. Bonus if you got anything with crackly radio transmissions or radio/TV news recordings. It puts me in a dark place mentally but I also enjoy it??? I dunno. I guess I like realistic post-apocalypse stuff for the same reason.

As far as historical military stuff, are you looking for ones that cover military tactics and specific battles or more biopics of historically significant military people?

ok so I thought I had more but turns out i only have 3. they are in these big tin boxes. First one is a 2 disc set Famous generals of WW2, another 2 disc set of The Forgotten war Korea, and last is a wicked cool 5 disc set Battleground Vietnam: War in the jungle. dont think theyll be on netflix but definitely found on amazon.

and yea, military tactics/battles stuff is my shizwhiz
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline Grytviken

• Practicing Scientologist
  • Duke
  • Renown: 504
  • Infamy: 101
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Salad_Fork Raven_Grytviken
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2015, 10:27:25 pm »

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2015, 03:40:47 pm »

I'd avoid TED talks if I were you, they used to be good and a rare few still are, but you have to sort through mostly trash to find em and I don't find it worth it.

TED talks are often very interesting, even if you disagree with the research or conclusions they are worth listening to. TEDx talks are almost uniformally piles of garbage from idiots from my experience, although there are obviously exceptions there too.

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2015, 08:23:31 pm »
A series of lectures delivered by Peter Millican to first-year philosophy students at the University of Oxford. The lectures comprise the 8-week General Philosophy course and were delivered in late 2009: