Author Topic: Kids becoming dumber  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
Re: Kids becoming dumber
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 05:06:04 pm »
I like to wear dirty underwear on my face
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 07:15:25 pm »
+2
(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 07:26:43 pm »
+2
I think that as with many things, some kids will be attracted to dumb stuff and others will be attracted to intelligent stuff, that doesn't change (or ever so slowly). Intelligent stuff never disappears. And if you look back, dumb people were just as dumb as they were today, but additionally did not have the tools to cope with it. In the meantime, society also evolved to require far more cerebral skills and far less physical skills than before.

So no, I don't think kids are becoming dumber, they just play some dumb game on the tablet instead of playing some dumb game with a ball. That makes them fatter, not dumber.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 07:37:59 pm »
There hasn't been Dwarf Fortress or Aurora 4x in the 90s. Any kid growing up with this will get smart, autistic or most likely both.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 09:05:34 pm »
I think that as with many things, some kids will be attracted to dumb stuff and others will be attracted to intelligent stuff, that doesn't change (or ever so slowly). Intelligent stuff never disappears. And if you look back, dumb people were just as dumb as they were today, but additionally did not have the tools to cope with it. In the meantime, society also evolved to require far more cerebral skills and far less physical skills than before.

So no, I don't think kids are becoming dumber, they just play some dumb game on the tablet instead of playing some dumb game with a ball. That makes them fatter, not dumber.
If only it worked like that. Tablets aren't a replacement for football, they're replacement for stuff like books.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • Renown: 410
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jambi
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 09:39:55 pm »
+1

------

Ive seen the Mensa group i visit, also dwindling away.. We used to have great discussions or contributed to scientific topics. But as of lately we gotten alot of new members, wich are not interested in putting their gifted minds into productive activities.... but rather play Magic the gathering card games all day.
Let alone the admission tests  have been drasticly simplified.
Its always been the 2% , but the 2% of the newer generations score much lower then the older ones.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 09:58:14 pm by Jambi »
Love will tear us apart.
Also, most fucked up brain of the year award goes to jambi. Well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX9Cpuj4igk

Offline Weren

• Duke
  • Renown: 588
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: irc://Weren
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 10:02:14 pm »
+2
Whatsapp
Umm actually it's called WhatsApp.

Bet you feel stupid now.
Free speech is about to become terrorism.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2015, 10:08:27 pm »
+1

------

Ive seen the Mensa group i visit, also dwindling away.. We used to have great discussions or contributed to scientific topics. But as of lately we gotten alot of new members, wich are not interested in putting their gifted minds into productive activities.... but rather play Magic the gathering card games all day.
Let alone the admission tests  have been drasticly simplified.
Its always been the 2% , but the 2% of the newer generations score much lower then the older ones.
Related to the mouse experiment, the real problem nowadays is that our brains are designed for a hunter-gatherer environment and are actually very easy to please. Simple mobile apps, among other things, take advantage of this fact. It doesn't matter how intelligent someone is, their pleasure center still works the same way. Why read a book when they could be getting much more rewarding chemicals from pressing a couple buttons on a phone?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 10:35:44 pm »
I'm currently replaying one of the best and hardest of the classic RPGs, Ultima VII from 1992 (through Exult), and looking at the Witcher 3 forums at the same time, except totalwarcenter probably the only modern, mainstream gaming forum I've occasionally glanced at, and it's a case study in how at least the consumer base have changed. I often gawk at the inane things some players find challenging or as 'broken mechanics' today in comparison.

But there's also something about it among adults. Today's adults consume entertainment that would most likely be considered childish or stupid before the 1960-70s.

It's also pretty evident if you read classic literature, and compare the language use with most of today's popular literature, and remember that what we call the classics were at their time for popular consumption (though of course for a smaller market).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 08:50:20 pm by Angantyr »

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2015, 11:31:56 pm »
+1
Related to the mouse experiment, the real problem nowadays is that our brains are designed for a hunter-gatherer environment and are actually very easy to please. Simple mobile apps, among other things, take advantage of this fact. It doesn't matter how intelligent someone is, their pleasure center still works the same way. Why read a book when they could be getting much more rewarding chemicals from pressing a couple buttons on a phone?

That is true, so it might be a question of evolution and adaptation.
My view on it:
You can either choose to become aware of whats going on in your brain and how it effects you, and try to rewire and train it yourself by going out of the comfort zone. and work towards evolution. Be a try hard.
Or you can choose to join the masses and simply give into an misused reflexes and squander away in a luxurious degenrated state.

To give more explanation:
By troublesolving issue's by usage of outside influences such as Problem -> Google -> Instant gratification, and your brain has gotten used to this type of behaviour, it will eventually dumb down and become lazy, as the brain isnt stressed or demanded to be pushed beyond current comprehension. It will never develop more nerves and connections, but will overdevelop only the few parts you're using. And other parts will degenerate, ending up in one of the many conditations we hear about lately. Chemicals are overproduced or underproduced, balance has become and issue.

By troubleshooting yourself, trying to find out the problem without outside sources. Your brain will rely on both creativity and reasoning, it will strenghten the bridge between the two hemisphere.. reactivating many parts wich we barely use in society/lives nowadays. And by that, it will enable many more diffrent kind of thought processes and it will make you smarter overtime, because you demand you're brain to develop in such a way. Many of brain activities we have lost will slowly be incoporated again. Drag in a living 3rd party for your troubleshooting, try fixing something together.. and your brain will have a hemisphere orgy :P And no.. i dont mean tech-support over the internet lol

Given in the mouse expirement video, all needs were given to them. They had no need to think to much for themselves anymore, and thus became dumber and developed social issue's etc. Much as like we see in the masses of the human world.

Its the choice to become either a slave to your brain, or taking things in your own hands giving it orders on what you need to be done.
Like people that have broken their legs, and have to learn to walk again. By putting them in the right state of mind, and effort to push themselves, their brains will rewire and learn to walk again, because it is demanded to.

The hunter/gatherer brain concept, i do believe in. But many of it is based within the oldest part of our brain, wich is the reptilian part.. wich also responsible for the immediate gratification urges. But we have so much more then just that part of our brain.  The Hunter/Gatherer concept is many times misconceived with some cavemen with a club imagery, but is in fact much broader and sophisticated as one might think. Many new age crap blames the reptilian part for all the trouble we have now in the world in short. But far from that, i think the reptilian brain should be praised for what it is, what its capable of in healthy enviroment and usage.

To take it literally:
A hunter for example, hunts animals.... given. But a good hunter will also have to push himself to learn about its surroundings, keep track of cycles of nature, keep track of animal populations, effectively thinking not only for himself but also his outside world etc etc activating many other function then jsut the reptilian part. And if the hunter is a fine specimen of human... it will also inherit curiosity. He will go beyond simply hunting, but also will start wondering to such as why things are the way they are.. pushing beyond the envelope... pushing his brain to develop.
Same goes for a gatherer somewhat, but ill keep it short.

Saying our brains are designed for hunter/gathering, does not mean we cannot go beyond that. But granted its actually a very useful design to go out there,  explore and have eyes wide open, ready to adapt! And not only to be used for survival. One tiny part, capable of triggering the whole. wow :wink:

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 11:56:16 pm by Jambi »
Love will tear us apart.

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2015, 11:42:14 pm »
I'm currently replaying one of the best and hardest of the classic RPGs, Ultima VII from 1992 (through Exult), and looking at the Witcher 3 forums at the same time, except totalwarcenter probably the only modern, mainstream gaming forum I've occasionally glanced at, and it's a case study in how at least the consumer base have changed. I often gawk at the inane things some players find challenging or as 'broken mechanics' today.

But there's also something about it among adults. Today's adults consume entertainment that would most likely be considered childish or stupid before the 1960-70s.

It's also pretty evident if you read classic literature, and compare the language use with most of today's popular literature, and remember that what we call the classics were at their time for popular consumption (though of course for a smaller market).
Your post reminded me of this video:

Tho entertaining to watch, its also a concept that has risen up in some corners of the gaming community, and personally i hope this wont spread.
Funhaus gives a comedy edge to it, but some others take it quite literally.
Giving entertainment a direct link to $.. how destructive will that become.

I think back then we realy had a diffrent concept of what entertainment was. We, now so far ahead of that time.. its changed drasticly.
In the past we did not have the graphics we have nowadays, but we had pixels that should resemble a certain something.... and with a touch of our own imagingation we could make it so.
Nowadays games are simply less involving as they do not require alot of the users imagination or input.
In the past the user made the game for what it was. Nowadays the game presents itself to the user to what it is.
Hence why our nostalgic feelings towards those old games are so deeply rooted, they truely became part of us.
Never had a newer game touch me as deep as those from the past. And even when im out of games, i can never find a newer game i want to play... but always go back to DOS era :P
Picking up a new game like Witcher 3 ie is a problem for me, not a problem of not willing to go with the times... but a problem of me finding Witcher 3 simply bland.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 12:31:05 am by Jambi »
Love will tear us apart.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2181
  • Infamy: 2121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 12:31:20 am »
There hasn't been Dwarf Fortress or Aurora 4x in the 90s. Any kid growing up with this will get smart, autistic or most likely both.

And one day in the future, they will code nudge in next gen cRPG and will feel good about themselves. How does it feel being a savant?

Offline Alvin_the_Chipmunk

• Baron
  • Renown: 124
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • How do you like the avatar of the backflip?
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Apple_the_Gold
  • IRC nick: What's that?
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2015, 12:46:26 am »
cellphones are radioactive, use earphones when on the phone

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2015, 01:54:52 am »
+6
the best generation of kids were the ones around 2.000.000 BC, from there it goes only downwards.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 07:47:09 pm »
Most kids who play the simpler games wouldnt pick up games like Baldurs gate anyways, since its too complex. Simple games are more popular simply because more people can play them, those who have a hard time learning things wont pick up dwarf fortress now a days, while there still exists a bit of younger gamers who will pick up dwarf fortress and learn how to play it. Stupid children wont pick up harder-to-learn games if they were the only option, they would just find something else thats easier on the brain, like going outside. Now we have the choice of easier games and none are forced to go outside, yay.

And yes every new generation is stupider than the previous one, just like how every new generation has shit music taste, and all music produced after 2000 is crap, while 90s was golden age etc etc bla bla.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA