Author Topic: Rocket League  (Read 17003 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Rocket League
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2015, 11:55:38 pm »
A ball towards your own back wall won't have enough force to go very far upfield. If anything it's mostly setting another nice angle for the enemy. The guy going back to the goal is already following the direction of the ball which doesn't let him hit it very hard at all. It's a better outcome to have the "goalie" hit the ball towards the enemy goal, possibly scoring quite easily.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2015, 12:04:37 am »
Going fast enough (not even full speed) you can definitely hit the ball the half field off the back wall. And the goalie can't hit it towards the enemy goal any better than the other players unless the ball rolls in front of the goal and he is far enough back in the goal to boost for a bit and then smack it up field.

All in all I think you guys are severely underestimating a car's turning radius and conservation of momentum.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2015, 10:39:49 pm »
If you cant clear the ball then 90% of the time you are wasting effort hitting it, it will either be set up for the enemy or it will go nowhere and you will be out of position to defend the goal. The current goalie will always have a good shot at clearing the ball, but doing so requires someone to take his position. Brawling for the ball is a gamble that sometimes works if you pinch the ball, but otherwise it will be a slow clear, the enemies will take positions for defence before it gets to their goal, this is in a scenario where they didnt have a guy ready to center the slow ball again.

Most of the time challenging the ball is not worth it, instead predicting where enemies will put it and positioning yourself so that you can use that information gets you a long way.

edit: Hitting the angle on the wall isnt hard to do and with decent force it will send the ball past the middle line. Super easy to follow up and is hard for the enemis to benefit from if they are positioned well.

Finally getting better at the aeirals, getting 80-90% on the allstar training consistently. Does pay off a lot in pubs..
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 12:21:00 am by Gravoth_iii »
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2015, 10:17:42 pm »
Why am I almost systematically getting almost double the ranking points for a win compared to what I lose from a loss? This doesn't make any sense.

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2015, 01:34:59 pm »
Why am I almost systematically getting almost double the ranking points for a win compared to what I lose from a loss? This doesn't make any sense.
maybe cause you are winning/losing against players with higher mmr , the time you lose against lower ranking palyers you cri :(

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2015, 07:26:53 pm »
Well then I never, ever played against weaker players lol. And I can guarantee some of the guys I played were really awful. I never lost more than 7 points and never gained less than 9 except when some people quit.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2015, 08:22:30 pm »
Well then I never, ever played against weaker players lol. And I can guarantee some of the guys I played were really awful. I never lost more than 7 points and never gained less than 9 except when some people quit.

Strange, what ratings are you on now? Maybe it will start evening up towards 600..
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2015, 09:53:20 pm »
I'm at 220 right now. Last day I played I was at 170. I crept up even though I kept losing more than I won.

The internet seems to indicate the variable that determines who you play against and how many points you gain is hidden and separate from your actual ranking. Would explain why I keep getting matched with "better" players. Keep in mind that my global W/L ratio is still around 60%
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:07:04 pm by Kafein »

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2015, 07:15:43 pm »
Getting occasionally better teammates now, can actually get my gold 1 back in soloQ. Sometimes a dual pro on my team who never aeirals, then its gg, but if i get 2 veterans or veteran + expert its generally ez win. Hitting sick 360 noscope mtn dew aerials in game is so satisfying, especially the dunks.

Used to have like 10 goals per save, but now saves are slowly stacking up. Goals per match is only 1.3 but i dont know how much that really matters in this tier, because its completely depending on your teams playstyles.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2015, 10:48:04 pm »
I'm happy to actually touch an aerial ball.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2015, 11:57:04 pm »
Its really just something you start doing after playing tons and tons (i have 141 hours already  :oops:), because you will predict the ball much more natural.. and controlling mid air is just muscle memory hehe. Also if you are using M&K then its pretty wonky.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2015, 12:05:51 am »
Actually I'm using an xbox controller so there's that.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2015, 11:45:21 am »
Only bought this game so me and my bro can play something with controllers on TV when he comes over. I thought cars hitting large ball looks silly, but we both *really* enjoyed the game. Simple and fun, but you can feel it requires a lot of mechanical skills to master (somewhat reminds me of Lethal League in this regard). Just playing a couple of hours I already felt that I've improved considerably from the starting "how to even hit ball".

I was also impressed we could team up and join an online game from one PC/account (although split screen, but still).

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2015, 12:48:13 pm »
I got a friend that got obsessed with the game lol.

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2015, 01:52:24 pm »
I got a friend that got obsessed with the game lol.

well , if he starts singing RL song under the shower , wearing a pirate's hat and farting rainbows , yes , it's time to get worried.