Author Topic: End to gold sinks  (Read 3751 times)

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
Re: End to gold sinks
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2014, 08:07:39 pm »
+2
is this a weta thread now?  cause there is a cat-weta video for these occasions:

Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2014, 10:56:01 pm »
+6
Leave it to a cat to be the heroic defender of mankind, yet look bored whilst taking on a demonic bug from hell.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2014, 11:04:10 pm »
Leave it to a cat to be the heroic defender of mankind, yet look bored whilst taking on a demonic bug from hell.

pretty much what crossed my mind
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes

Offline Aprikose

• Count
  • Renown: 173
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JugendFeuerwehr
  • Game nicks: Great Bascinet!
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2014, 11:39:02 pm »
No.
But Native does have, basically, a freely respec-able STF with no character progression or rewards for long term play, and everything is obtainable in about 3 minutes.
Making cRPG more like Native is not a good idea.

I'd agree that some changes need to be made, but I'm not sure what.
I know when I first started playing cRPG, I got my ass kicked even harder than I do now, but I stuck with it because I knew it'd be awesome once I leveled up and got used to it.
It's one of the things that works well for the game too, in my opinion; the people who don't want to commit to it and put in some time are weeded out, and they're the weaker links anyway.
That aside, heirlooms and high level players existed back in the day too.
Goretooth was a fucking nightmare, but I still hung in there. A lot of us that still play did too.

The game is old, less people are purchasing it, less people are signing up on the website.
Strictly my opinion, but everything eventually dies, and I'm not sure if a huge overhaul is going to keep people from leaving for newer, shinier games with bigger playerbases.

but native isnt playable for thousand of hours.
click it!visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2014, 12:15:24 am »
+3
I am split on looms. Maybe they can be cosmetic or reduce the boosts while buffing +0. I think the desire for getting more looms makes me want to play more at times, or did anyways. I think some leveling isn't that bad, too, but +6 is too much.

I guess I would like to have as a compromise: STFs at level 33-35, level 36 as the equivalent exp of level 33, and level 37 stays the same exp for Aldogalus. People would grind for looms and 2-3 extra levels instead of 6.

Offline Jack1

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jack1_, Abbud_Amari, The_Doc, Gottlob_Kohlman
  • IRC nick: Risen_Jack
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2014, 05:03:26 am »
+1
IMO there needs to be some kind of progression that allows players who have been around longer have an advantage. also keep in mind that if you do eliminate gold sinks there will be an extreme amount of high level players doing the go-to builds. I'm more than sure that there will be multiple people who go to high level HA in EU and your dieing battle server would be unsalvageable. too many people would try to fight fire with fire.

worse case scenario: mod dies because of so many min-maxers

best case: mod dies because everybody gets what they need without having to grind for it leading to eventual boredom and further leads to chatroom servers like runescape.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 05:07:10 am by Jack1 »
We're all nerds here, so it doesn't really matter.

Offline Gein

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2014, 06:53:11 am »
+3
IMO there needs to be some kind of progression that allows players who have been around longer have an advantage.

There is. It's called being better at playing the game.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2014, 10:18:28 am »
The purpose of gold sinks was never to decrease the amount of gold in-game, but to keep the amount somewhat in check. I definitely think that has worked. Reducing the costs of auction services, however, will only reduce the grind for players with full stacks of looms and high level, by making their OP grind rewards more mobile. Free respecs are the devil because it enables higher levels to never actually have to lower their amount xp, thereby disabling all the things that would enable more level equality, like respecs, retiring and levelling new characters. They should be expensive as fuck. Don't you think that it is a little more saliant to reduce the 1000 hour grind it takes for new players to reach the same mechanical advantages, it's disgusting really.

IMO there needs to be some kind of progression that allows players who have been around longer have an advantage.
Why, for the love of god why?

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2014, 10:39:12 am »
+1
I agree with Teeth.
A hard-cap at level 32 would be nice. You still have a bit of the grinding factor most of us actually like but it takes away the massive advantage a level 33/34/35 build can give.
I never liked how the heirlooming worked but that is something we will never see changed for this mod.
The main reason I have heirloomed weapons is for the looks provided by the Heirloom Texture Pack... :P
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2014, 11:08:19 am »
idc about the advantage over others,  but a constant progression.  its nice to evolve.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2014, 12:47:41 pm »
It's no secret that nowadays the population of cRPG is getting really low. Also, it is no secret, that all the things that were implemented for the purpose of being gold sinks have failed at decreasing the amount of gold in the game. So, maybe it is time to make these features more available to the public?

The things i'm talking about - respecs, loom exchanges and blacksmithing services. Especially the loom exchange becoming more available would be a good thing, imo.

Gold sinks and upkeep are just lazy. They should fuck off into the shitty hole from whence they came. They add very little to the game in any meaningful way.

The price of items should only be an issue in strat. In general multi the only thing that should hold you back from using or obtaining items is a small amount of gold grind so that gain things has some value and can be an enjoyable experience but upkeep really adds fuck all to the whole thing.

More fucking over items should be balanced against items not against upkeep. Yes, obviously heaps of items will only have aesthetic value but as we have seen you can permanently play in plate (example, me, basic and a shit load of other people) without it really being a fucking thing.

I hope that battle grounds attacks these problems in a completely different way. I don't think I should get such a ball breaking advantage by being such a vet that I have full +3 plate making me more or less untouchable by range and a 1/4 of the weapons in the game. TIS STUPID.

I FRANK REQUEST THE MOD BE PUT INTO A STATE OF FREEDOM AND ANARCHY SO WE THE LAST OF THE DAMNED MAY BE FREE TO ENJOY OUR LAST DAYS TOGETHER AS WE SEE FIT BEFORE ARMAGEDDON COMES!!!

Now back into the man pile.

Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Jack1

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jack1_, Abbud_Amari, The_Doc, Gottlob_Kohlman
  • IRC nick: Risen_Jack
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2014, 07:09:34 pm »
+1
Why, for the love of god why?

Because the better part of the population plays for that reason.  Looms and levels is the reason that the community is still playing.
We're all nerds here, so it doesn't really matter.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2014, 07:24:42 pm »
+1
I started a 2H character last week. Going from level 1 to 20 takes a handful of hours now, so grinding up to a playable level isn't an issue (unless you are ranged lololol).

With no heirlooms I was able to get valor and even spent a map at the top of my team at level 15. I have not touched 2H for more than two years. I am not a top tier player. I am mediocre as hell. As long as you know the mechanics of M&B you can do just fine after playing for an hour or two.

Something that I feel keeps people coming back is the clan community in M&B. I have no idea how I played for a year without being in any clan at all. How did I not get bored of just playing the battle server???

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2014, 11:01:17 pm »
+1
cRPG could learn from Mercenaries and other mods alot. Something that really draw alot of players is happy hour. One hour each day there is double xp with tons of people coming to play. It could really make things alot more alive.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2014, 02:14:17 am »
cRPG could learn from Mercenaries and other mods alot. Something that really draw alot of players is happy hour. One hour each day there is double xp with tons of people coming to play. It could really make things alot more alive.

cRPG has had "Happy Year", or longer, of double XP.