Author Topic: Shooting and protests in Ferguson, Missouri  (Read 8130 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Shooting and protests in Ferguson, Missouri
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 11:22:28 pm »
+2
TL;DR:

Some black kid got shot by a white cop instead of another black kid (which happens pretty much every day), so they decided to burn down and loot the few businesses existing in their own neighborhoods. I expect we'll hear about racist business owners refusing to reopen them in the future in a dastardly plan to keep the black man down because they hate their community, despite the fact that many of the business owners are black themselves.
It has nothing to do with race and everything to do with culture.

It had everything to do with race during the apartheid, which is ultimately one of the big reasons this kind of shit is happening today. I'm not saying there should be positive discrimination to "right" an historical wrong, as that would be extremely stupid. However, why is it that in a black neighborhood the entire administration and more importantly the cops are white? Why is it that the local schools are shit (I'm guessing they are)?

Offline Jeade

• Duke
  • Renown: 569
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
  • Well Caleb's a liar.
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
  • Game nicks: MAGA_Jeade, Gregory_McFin, Frat_Lion
  • IRC nick: Jeade
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 11:25:31 pm »
made an edit to the original post I made.

"White flight" is a common phenomenon in the US, but I expect it applies as equally to anyone there regardless of race who doesn't want to live in a fucking shithole ghetto.

Pretty much, yes. But if you look at the stats in Saint Louis County, which spans miles and miles, it's, I'd guess, 90% white.
The town I grew up in was 99% white, 0.3% black, and the rest was mostly Asian.

Will be nice to hear some sort of official autopsy showing where he was shot and from what distances.  But I tend to believe there's some truth to him being shot from a distance while being unarmed.  If he was shot in the back, it should be pretty obvious.   

Yep. Body was 35 feet from the patrol car. His mother said she saw 8 bullet wounds in her son.
The coroner has only confirmed he was dead from gunshot wounds.
I'm assuming they're waiting to release the rest of the information until things calm down, after the investigation, or maybe just never.

Why is it that the local schools are shit (I'm guessing they are)?

Can confirm that much. Partially the reason the community is and has been so angered at the local government.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 11:30:38 pm »
+1
thank god i live on the other side of the missouri river, in the wonderful land of white folk known as SAINT CHARLES

right, jeade?

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 11:31:14 pm »
+2
One of the many riots in Paris started over a simular incident. Three teenagers were running from the police and hid themselves in a power generator station. They got electrocuted and two of them died. The city erupted in riots, vandalism, looting, car burnings, assaults and violence for days. Can you remind me of the "apartheid" responsible for this?
It's the fucked up ghetto culture, pure and simple. We can argue back and forth about the causes behind the creation of these ghetto cultures all day, I don't pretend I have the answer, and racism towards minorities probably plays a part. But I don't see how you can deny that it is the central problem.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 11:32:32 pm »
+3
BUTBUTBUT?!

FREEDOM

Did I do that right?

Keep it up and we'll free the shit out of you
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Jeade

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Well Caleb's a liar.
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 11:34:08 pm »
thank god i live on the other side of the missouri river, in the wonderful land of white folk known as SAINT CHARLES

right, jeade?

The downtown is great, man.
Hopefully you guys keep safe over there.

636 SOUTH COUNTY REPRESENT

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 11:34:11 pm »
+1
jeade we should just sit here and try and figure out how many of the same places we've been to IRL

LHI?
Del Taco?
UMSL?
Busch Stadium (old and new)?
Fast Eddy's?
the firebird?
delmar boulevard?
the pageant?
city museum?

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 11:39:58 pm »
+7
You should just meet up IRL and fuck already. Bonus points if it's in the burning ruins of a liquor store.

Offline Jeade

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Well Caleb's a liar.
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 11:45:16 pm »
+1
LHI?
Del Taco?
UMSL?
Busch Stadium (old and new)?
Fast Eddy's?
the firebird?
delmar boulevard?
the pageant?

I'm game for mindless rabble.
Del Taco, yes. Fuck yes.
Busch Stadium, of course. Go Cards mafucka.
Firebird, yes.
Delmar, I worked on the street there for a year (huehue but it's not what you think).
On the topic of Delmar: Snarfs, Tivoli, Blueberry Hill, Blick, Ben &jerry's, Avalon, Cheeseology, HSB, Mission, The Pageant, Ranoush, Rocket Fizz, Star Clipper, and of course, Vintage Vinyl.
Tons more but why list everything on Delmar.
Eros Greek Tavern in St. Charles is great too.

Edit: Almost forgot
FUCK YEA CITY MUSEUM. The best damn place in the whole city.
And they have a bar there too, now.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 12:11:46 am »
fuck yeah eros is good, i love their back patio at night with the lights, good place for a date, i actually have pictures of me proving i have been there

Ever had Grandma's Cookies from Main Street St. Charles (the same street Eros is on)? Been to that weird civil war festival thing? Been to Picasso's Coffee Shop?

oh and fuck yeah imo's

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 12:14:02 am »
One of the many riots in Paris started over a simular incident. Three teenagers were running from the police and hid themselves in a power generator station. They got electrocuted and two of them died. The city erupted in riots, vandalism, looting, car burnings, assaults and violence for days. Can you remind me of the "apartheid" responsible for this?
It's the fucked up ghetto culture, pure and simple. We can argue back and forth about the causes behind the creation of these ghetto cultures all day, I don't pretend I have the answer, and racism towards minorities probably plays a part. But I don't see how you can deny that it is the central problem.

In France there was no apartheid, but the immigrants who go on riots are also much more recent than the blacks in the USA. If you consider that blacks living in the USA were in another country before and became immigrants in the USA when the apartheid ended (which is pretty damn close to the truth, for all intents and purposes), then you get pretty much the same picture.

Also yes, of course it's ghetto culture, but the story doesn't stop there. it's also poor economical prospects that predominantly originate in poor and more importantly very unequal education and services. When immigrants get rich they flee the ghettos like the natives, so it's not so much about the culture of whatever immigrants happen to be there, but rather the situation of poor immigration itself. Those that create ghettos are more the rich going away than the poor coming in, as the quality of the institutions immediately plummet when the rich go away. The reason the rich start to go away in the first place is not the decreasing standards of living due to immigration (because there isn't), and I'll just point to this book http://books.google.be/books/about/Micromotives_and_Macrobehavior.html?id=AOsWGCuRDhkC&redir_esc=y for further insights.

But never mind, this is a dating thread now :D

Offline Jeade

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Well Caleb's a liar.
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 12:19:13 am »
fuck yeah eros is good, i love their back patio at night with the lights, good place for a date, i actually have pictures of me proving i have been there

Ever had Grandma's Cookies from Main Street St. Charles (the same street Eros is on)? Been to that weird civil war festival thing? Been to Picasso's Coffee Shop?

oh and fuck yeah imo's

Never been on the back patio as I was only there for a couple shows that friends were playing.
No, no and no to the rest of them.
The civil war festival rings a bell though, and I'm pretty sure someone asked if I wanted to go with them at some point.
Picasso's, I've also heard about from friends. If they make a good dirty chai, I'll be visiting next time I'm in town.
Fucking no one brews actual chai and gets the right amount of espresso in there.
It's always some horrid mix of chai concentrate from a jug and bitter, shit espresso.
Or too much cardamom... which I didn't even think was possible until going to Kaldis.

Cecil is better doe.

it's also poor economical prospects that predominantly originate in poor and more importantly very unequal education and services. When immigrants get rich they flee the ghettos like the natives, so it's not so much about the culture of whatever immigrants happen to be there, but rather the situation of poor immigration itself. Those that create ghettos are more the rich going away than the poor coming in, as the quality of the institutions immediately plummet when the rich go away. The reason the rich start to go away in the first place is not the decreasing standards of living due to immigration (because there isn't), and I'll just point to this book http://books.google.be/books/about/Micromotives_and_Macrobehavior.html?id=AOsWGCuRDhkC&redir_esc=y for further insights.

Absolutely hit the nail on the head.

But never mind, this is a dating thread now :D

We can do a three way.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 12:22:37 am by Jeade »

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 12:23:39 am »
They're both pretty fucking fantastic.

I don't get particularly picky about my coffee or tea though because I'm just a greasy internet nerd, so I can't say much to that.

Well I'm happy I've finally had a conversation about RL with a cRPG player.

Offline Jeade

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Well Caleb's a liar.
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2014, 12:29:14 am »
+6
Well I'm happy I've finally had a conversation about RL with a cRPG player.

Yep, I believe I've met my socializing quota for the year. horey!1

Also, off/on topic, a pretty great video I saw earlier this morning about the Ferguson riots.