Author Topic: 0.3.3.6  (Read 28811 times)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: 0.3.3.6
« Reply #180 on: May 12, 2014, 08:01:45 pm »
I consider the point where overheads begin to bounce on the ground too long for me, which is why from my perspective that 95 is on the longer end of that spectrum.

Tested the reach quickly on a horse a moment ago. Its reach was still slightly longer than overhead and similar to the max length of the stab sweetspot, but probably slightly shorter (couldn't be too accurate when only using W/S movement to adjust for distance, so they were ~ the same when I tested). Same as it has always been. I did have to look slightly downwards so that my intended hit location was on the center of my screen, though.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 13, 2014, 09:00:16 am »
i can make shortsword overhead bounce ground

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #182 on: May 13, 2014, 09:25:19 am »
i can make shortsword overhead bounce ground
By facing a hill?  :|

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 13, 2014, 09:40:49 am »
no.. simply look down when swing...  :|

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 13, 2014, 11:45:18 am »
+1
Yep, and if the animation would have been shorter a 102 reach sword would no longer be able to contend with Greatswords and Poleaxes. Same thing, except there are probably a lot more Greatswords and Poleaxes on EU 1.

That's only if you completely outplay the GS or poleaxe user. In general, even longsword users can easily outreach 102 length 1h on sideswings if they have the same movement speed. The longsword has 3 points more speed, which also helps. At equal skill level, trying to do fancy squaredancing with a reach disadvantage is going to get you killed more often.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #185 on: May 13, 2014, 12:22:50 pm »
+4
no.. simply look down when swing...  :|
It makes no difference for overheads whether you look up or down.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 13, 2014, 03:03:08 pm »
+3
That's only if you completely outplay the GS or poleaxe user. In general, even longsword users can easily outreach 102 length 1h on sideswings if they have the same movement speed. The longsword has 3 points more speed, which also helps. At equal skill level, trying to do fancy squaredancing with a reach disadvantage is going to get you killed more often.
Longsword swings are significantly shorter than a 102 length 1h right swing. The difference between the 1h rightswing and a Danish isn't all that big either. It definitely is small enough for me to comfortably try my hand at the reach game when facing these weapons. Many 'good' Greatword and Poleaxe users are still quite sloppy or lazy with their reach control and if you have practiced with the right swing a little they are fairly easy to outplay.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 13, 2014, 04:29:34 pm »
It makes no difference for overheads whether you look up or down.

yup, it makes a difference

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 13, 2014, 05:22:54 pm »
Longsword swings are significantly shorter than a 102 length 1h right swing.

I don't feel like that to be honest. I almost never let onehanders get the overture attack when I play longsword, unless they are moving ridiculously fast. And it's not like my 2h alt has that much movement speed, with 18 agi and 18kg of body armor. I like to throw stab feints in the mix though, which are definitely longer than their right swings.

The difference between the 1h rightswing and a Danish isn't all that big either. It definitely is small enough for me to comfortably try my hand at the reach game when facing these weapons. Many 'good' Greatword and Poleaxe users are still quite sloppy or lazy with their reach control and if you have practiced with the right swing a little they are fairly easy to outplay.

We can agree that "outreaching" most weapons is possible with 100+ 1h shieldless, but to be honest it's often not worth it. On top of that if they stab you are screwed, cause that will connect first no matter what you do.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #189 on: May 13, 2014, 06:42:47 pm »
+3
I don't feel like that to be honest. I almost never let onehanders get the overture attack when I play longsword, unless they are moving ridiculously fast. And it's not like my 2h alt has that much movement speed, with 18 agi and 18kg of body armor. I like to throw stab feints in the mix though, which are definitely longer than their right swings.

We can agree that "outreaching" most weapons is possible with 100+ 1h shieldless, but to be honest it's often not worth it. On top of that if they stab you are screwed, cause that will connect first no matter what you do.

Unless you are using a 3d 1h, why is anyone trying to outreach 2h users with a right swing? Stab is faster, has more reach, and usually does more damage. Right swing is a good way to mix it up if they are blocking your stabs, but usually 2h users' hubris makes them think they can just spam sideswings at max range (without having to block) when facing a 1h user. I stab these guys all day until they get wise and play more defensively.

I'm always amazed how many 2h users refuse to accept that they may have to block first when fighting a 1h. Sometimes I get unlucky and my stab glances while their sideswing connects, but that's rare. I'll even try to open with a stab against longsword users holding a stab (although that's only a 50/50 proposition) but at least my stab does more damage than theirs.

As strange as it sounds, 1h animations are actually better set up for max-range dancing than 2h. 2h performs much better in facehug range though. Totally backwards, but that's Warband.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 14, 2014, 01:05:42 am »
Unless you are using a 3d 1h, why is anyone trying to outreach 2h users with a right swing? Stab is faster, has more reach, and usually does more damage. Right swing is a good way to mix it up if they are blocking your stabs, but usually 2h users' hubris makes them think they can just spam sideswings at max range (without having to block) when facing a 1h user. I stab these guys all day until they get wise and play more defensively.

I'm always amazed how many 2h users refuse to accept that they may have to block first when fighting a 1h. Sometimes I get unlucky and my stab glances while their sideswing connects, but that's rare. I'll even try to open with a stab against longsword users holding a stab (although that's only a 50/50 proposition) but at least my stab does more damage than theirs.

As strange as it sounds, 1h animations are actually better set up for max-range dancing than 2h. 2h performs much better in facehug range though. Totally backwards, but that's Warband.

First, stabs stopped outreaching right swings when Tydeus fucked up the stab sweetspot curve. Unless you are hitting a naked guy, of course. Even worse, a bouncing stab is a free hit for your enemy.
Second, it's not hubris that makes 2h think they can just spam sideswings at max range. Against most of the playerbase it works. And considering many players don't know any better when they play 2h, it's commonplace.
Third, you can count on the psychology of your enemy and trying to use his expectations against him. But that's still just a gamble. Especially if the enemy has a stab ready, you won't be able to react in time if he releases.
Fourth, 2h have the best squaredancing setup, first and foremost due to the godlike thrust. That doesn't change the fact that 1h have three unreliable attack directions at facehug range instead of just one, and therefore need more space unless ataspamming their way out of everything.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #191 on: May 14, 2014, 02:40:39 pm »
First, stabs stopped outreaching right swings when Tydeus fucked up the stab sweetspot curve. Unless you are hitting a naked guy, of course.

I don't know about that; I feel comfortable outreaching anything up to a War Spear with stabs (using an Italian Sword). If they are in plate, then sure you need to be more careful, but overall I still feel like the 1h stab has great reach. Pierce is pretty forgiving about being outside the animation sweetspots (although you are right, a glanced stab is a death sentence).

Offline LordLargos

• Count
  • Renown: 279
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn (Lord,X-Champion)
  • Game nicks: Largos the Weaboo Wrangler, HoC Lord Largos
« Reply #192 on: May 16, 2014, 07:51:26 am »

No words on these forums have been any more true than this.
Well, this doesn't look good for you. Four team kills - definitely intentional, Appeared to be afk more than once in the video.Also kicking people off of walls is grieving! don't do it.... but ill let you off with a warning this time, only because I don't like largos anyway.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 19, 2014, 07:34:28 am »
banner balance:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

rapists: "but we were teamworking!"

Offline Sir Gilinor

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • Death is Glory
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Blades of Ouroboros
  • Game nicks: Norman_Ithran
« Reply #194 on: May 19, 2014, 09:04:56 am »
Did anyone get a weird re-update? I played earlier today and then jumped back on and it updated from 0.0.0.0 to 0.3.3.6, so I'm guessing it was a goof up and nothings changed......? lol
"Deus, deduc armis semper saecula."
visitors can't see pics , please register or login