Author Topic: Meanwhile in USA  (Read 60096 times)

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: Law enforcement in America.
« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2014, 09:27:30 am »
+4
Well, it is pretty telling that pretty much all the mass shooting in U.S have happened in so-called Gun Free Zones...

Poor muricans must have thought it means that you can freely use guns in there.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2014, 09:28:34 am »
+4
Well, it is pretty telling that pretty much all the mass shooting in U.S have happened in so-called Gun Free Zones...

There's a difference between happening in a gun free zone and happening because it's a gun free zone. Shootings usually happen in areas with lots of people, which incidentally happen to frequently be gun free zones. Besides, two guys with guns in a crowd is probably worse than one guy with guns in a crowd, or in a school.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2014, 09:43:35 am »
+2
There are lots of places with a lot of people that aren't Gun Free Zones.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2014, 09:57:43 am »
+2
Making a connection between the harvest yield of apples in South America and the global oil price per barrel might be possible too when looking at the graphs, that doesn't mean they are actually connected to each other.
What was this verse you always pull out in this situations, Xant. Something about cats being animals but not every animal is a cat?

A popular place with a crowd becomes a gun free zone because it's crowded, I guess. Seems unlikely that they say "Here is a gun free zone now!" and everyone goes there to chill.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2014, 10:11:23 am »
+3
Yes, and they're unable to do anything about a shooter because they don't have guns...
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2014, 10:18:12 am »
+1
That is hardly something that can be proved or disproved.

I can easily imagine several situations where more guns would do more harm then good in a mass panic shootout scenario.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 07, 2014, 10:20:32 am »
+2
I'm sure you can imagine them, can you provide any instances where that has been the case? Because people carrying have successfully stopped shooters in the past.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 07, 2014, 10:24:12 am »
+2
I can not provide any sources or links but I do remember 1 or 2 times where others provided such information on instances where bystanders were shot by the "good" guys.
Probably in one of the many "US weapon laws suck"-threads we have around here :D

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2014, 10:42:01 am »
+2
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:45:34 am by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #144 on: April 07, 2014, 10:46:44 am »
+4

It's sad you MUST have armed officers on the streets but yes I guess in US (and other parts of the world) you do. But that's another topic altoghether

The problem are the officers themselves and recruitment policy, imo it needs to be way more strict than it currently is not in US only but everywhere especially in my corrupt little country where police officers are mostly scum and are not here to serve and protect but to opress and  take advantage the badge provides (ease of getting and dealing drugs, prostitution, extortion) not to mention they are not respected a bit in the community. Never had a cop help me, probably never will...
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Jeade

• Duke
  • Renown: 569
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
  • Well Caleb's a liar.
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
  • Game nicks: MAGA_Jeade, Gregory_McFin, Frat_Lion
  • IRC nick: Jeade
« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2014, 12:01:11 pm »
+2
two guys with guns in a crowd is probably worse than one guy with guns in a crowd, or in a school.

Thank god someone else understands this.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2014, 01:07:50 pm »
+4
It's sad you MUST have armed officers on the streets but yes I guess in US (and other parts of the world) you do. But that's another topic altoghether

The problem are the officers themselves and recruitment policy, imo it needs to be way more strict than it currently is not in US only but everywhere especially in my corrupt little country where police officers are mostly scum and are not here to serve and protect but to opress and  take advantage the badge provides (ease of getting and dealing drugs, prostitution, extortion) not to mention they are not respected a bit in the community. Never had a cop help me, probably never will...
Yup, I think a 50% or so reduction in police officers with stricter standards and better pay would be good.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2014, 04:15:44 pm »
+4
Without making any judgement myself here it seems that there is a big difference in mentalities between EU and NA. Many Americans are still stuck in the wild west "hang-the-horse-thief" mindset and are even proud of that. A criminal forfeits his life once he breaks the law - no matter the circumstances. A naked knife-wielding schizophreniac yelling on the street is gunned down there. In Germany they'd send in a maille-clad police thug armed with a baton to do the job. Proportionality has a higher importance over here. Also paper work for fired rounds is a bitch and a good beating once in a while is fun when not on the receiving end.

NAs are natural born ranged f4gs

Most American citizens do not have that mentality.  Even the conservative minded folks mostly don't believe you should be killed for not complying with police officers.  It's the police officer's who have that mentality you're describing.  A lot of the stereotypes about police officers are true.  Usually one of the following is true for police officers:  They were bullied as kids, they were really terrible when it came to sports, they have a small penis, they had an abusive father.  And a good portion of them are ex-military and have some severe mental problems after serving tours of duty in war zones (basically acting as law enforcement in hostile cities and villages).  People in positions of power are there because they seek that power and control over others.  We're only starting to see more and more of these incidents with the digital age of cameras on everyone's phones.  The police are tasked with investigating their own when incidents like this happen, and they unsurprisingly side with the police officers most of the time.  Other police officers are unwilling to call out their fellow officers when they see them doing something morally (or legally) wrong as well, and that only adds to the "us vs them" dichotomy that both the police officers and citizens feel towards each other.

It is ridiculous in this instance that they gunned down someone who was turning to run away from them.  That is unacceptable.  However it is also unacceptable to wave around a weapon near police, and not follow their commands.  You are quite literally risking your life if you do that.  I don't expect the police officers to put their lives on the line trying to apprehend an unstable person with a knife who has had multiple chances to comply with their commands.  But there are better ways to disarm the suspect without going trigger happy and saying "BOOYAH" when you shoot a guy in the back in cold blood. 

Every kid in America is taught you obey the police officers, and never brandish a weapon (or even a look-alike) weapon in front of a cop, or you could very well get shot.  I don't expect a police officer to try and determine if the gun you are holding is real or fake, if you raise it up they are going to defend themselves.  It's not the movies, people don't hold guns pointed at each other and scream "Drop it", if you raise a weapon towards a police officer, they will take action to make sure they go home to their kids at the end of the day. 

This post reminded, me I forgot to mention if you score too high on the IQ test, you will fail the police recruitment exam.  They don't want people who are able to make informed and moral decisions.  They want blind obedient drones who will follow orders without asking questions or rocking the boat.  Add this to the previous statements I made about people who seek positions of authority (i.e. law enforcement) and the relatively low pay that they make, and it's really no surprise our law enforcement officers are a lot of the time, scraping the bottom of the talent pool/humanity barrel. 

Our law enforcement officers in this country are not tasked with going out and protecting the public and serving the public.  They are tasked with generating revenue for the cities and states they work for (by catching people speeding and hoping to find drugs or drunk drivers or warrants).  They are also tasked with responding to calls for assistance from the public and fellow officers.  They are a reactionary force used to generate revenue and to investigate crimes after they happen.  Our whole usage of police officers is wrong in this country.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 04:27:15 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #148 on: April 07, 2014, 06:42:27 pm »
+1
This post reminded, me I forgot to mention if you score too high on the IQ test, you will fail the police recruitment exam.  They don't want people who are able to make informed and moral decisions.  They want blind obedient drones who will follow orders without asking questions or rocking the boat.  Add this to the previous statements I made about people who seek positions of authority (i.e. law enforcement) and the relatively low pay that they make, and it's really no surprise our law enforcement officers are a lot of the time, scraping the bottom of the talent pool/humanity barrel. 

The part in bold is actually not at all that true. Police officers (rightly so, in my opinion at least) get great benefits. Say what you want about them, fact is they DO put their lives on the line mostly every day (depending on their exact job, location, etc. No small town traffic cop should get the same benefits as a swat guy from NYC.  Perhaps they don't, but they probably would get comparable benefits if they are in the same area). Not only do they get great benefits while working, they get them for life... these guys are typically treated like war veterans half the time.

When I was briefly in RI I learned two things really fast: 1) The state is corrupt as shit and 2) there are infinite numbers of police officers on every single block. I'll skip over the first part since it isn't entirely relevant to this conversation, but the reason for there being so many cops is that in RI when you retire as a cop you continue to make 90-95% of your salary. That's right, you might have a pitiful income while you work... but then you still make that pitiful income all while sipping pina coladas on the beach, without a care in the world. Since the coppers of RI get such a great deal, everyone wants to be a cop, and for some reason pretty much everyone (uneducated, mindless drones included) actually get accepted to be cops. If cops actually had shit wages and shit benefits, then perhaps only the men who are actually dedicated to protecting their town would be wearing the badge, but unfortunately it is not so, and any guy who flunked out of college can decide to be a cop nowadays.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2014, 10:10:33 pm »
+4
Fire burns. Don't fuck with it. And don't complain when your dick is burned off because you whipped it out to piss on the fire. Responsibility for this incident falls on both parties.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln