Author Topic: eSports — Soon bigger than real sports?  (Read 7885 times)

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
Re: eSports — Soon bigger than real sports?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 01:23:02 pm »
+1
Ive done sports and played games equally almost my entire life. I hate watching both, but I love doing both.

I kinda remember watching a professional Starcraft player talk about his things. The dude said he went running every day and did other exercises because how important it was that his brain got enough oxygen. That made me think that mybe its not so bad. Logically a normal fit person would do better in most games, then some underslept overweight nerd whose been stuck in his room for a month, that smells like cheetos and farts.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 01:29:50 pm »
+1
Just lol... Ignorant, maybe? Selfish? Wut?!

Wrong word, but I think you get what I meant.

Are you gaming?

Yes?

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 01:40:45 pm »
+2
I've watched Starcraft II and DotA2 esports once or twice, and I can confirm that it is a vastly superior experience than playing those games. Especially with a good commentator.

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 02:04:59 pm »
+2
I recently signed for WCLoS , hoping to get in Finals...which is $30.000 prize  :shock:

(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 02:10:44 pm »
it will deffy become bigger than real sports no question about it

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1986
  • Infamy: 1168
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 02:22:56 pm »
I've watched Starcraft II and DotA2 esports once or twice, and I can confirm that it is a vastly superior experience than playing those games. Especially with a good commentator.

Those games suck anyway, so no wonder.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 02:39:22 pm »
And it's fucking Asia, well, actually it's more or less only Korea afaik. Absolutely comparable. :rolleyes:

please Molly stop rushing your statements before checking

guess China that has twice the population of Europe doesn't count...

edit:
also since you obviously didn't watch the documentary mentioned in the OP read this so you can get a sense of what's been talked about and what's going on in the gaming world (outside of Germany)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:45:57 pm by Prpavi »
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 02:48:18 pm »
+1
And this will go the same way with me as "traditional" sports, I'll play them but I won't watch them and somehow feel involved.
And how!

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 03:23:20 pm »
Eurosport used to send CS 1.6 and SC2 games here in Norway for a period of time.

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 03:41:48 pm »
+3
Since I think that people who earn fortunes for playing sports - more than a doctor or a scientist - is ridiculous, I believe that earning money (and that amount) for playing video-games is absurd.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 04:07:02 pm »
+4
Since I think that people who earn fortunes for playing sports - more than a doctor or a scientist - is ridiculous, I believe that earning money (and that amount) for playing video-games is absurd.

The amounts of money are absurd in traditional sports, but they are paid because it is entertainment. Same as paying people to play music, do movies etc. If enough people are interested in watching people play games then why not pay them just as well? They get paid so well because the clubs/teams can afford to..they afford to because enough people pay them money to watch the games or through advertising. To me theres nothing inherently dodgy about that, but it is crazy to think how much money is put into entertainment

Its not just being paid to play games either. It becomes a full time job. I play games for fun, doing it as a full time job would suck all the fun out
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:10:10 pm by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 04:15:28 pm »

(click to show/hide)
I so gonna necro this thread in 10 years and laugh about all you fools believing that you will be able to watch this stuff in the pub around your corner...
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 04:32:00 pm »
+1
I so gonna necro this thread in 10 years and laugh about all you fools believing that you will be able to watch this stuff in the pub around your corner...
Yeah just like all the smart people necro'd the 'I am making an airplane thread' in 1915 after ridiciculing the fools talking about it 10 years before. Seriously how incredibly shortsighted do you have to be to ridicule this idea when people in South-Korea literally watch StarCraft games in the pub around the corner already. You should really review your concepts about entertainment, whatever unpassable difference you see between football, baseball, darts, chess and then StarCraft, it doesn't really exist.

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 04:33:27 pm »
i'd watch http://it.twitch.tv/wgleagueru instead of pussy italian league soccer full of shit , qqers and clowns.

ps:the bald guy made a 360° noscope with an heavy tank !! pro.. :mrgreen:

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 04:49:00 pm »
Yeah just like all the smart people necro'd the 'I am making an airplane thread' in 1915 after ridiciculing the fools talking about it 10 years before. Seriously how incredibly shortsighted do you have to be to ridicule this idea when people in South-Korea literally watch StarCraft games in the pub around the corner already. You should really review your concepts about entertainment, whatever unpassable difference you see between football, baseball, darts, chess and then StarCraft, it doesn't really exist.
Because they do it for easily over 10 years already and in Europe there is not even a tendency for it to happen any time soon...
Not to mention that real sports have a way higher social component that keeps a lot of people active even in older ages. That is simply not the case with games.
When you start working, building a house, marriage and children, you probably won't play any more alone in front of your PC but you might still go once a week to play with your friends on a football field and have 2-12 beers with them afterwards.
I know dozens of buddies who simply stopped playing games cuz "mature real life" and that is still the common thing to happen.

How many people in this forum actually have family? 3? Maybe 6? The rest of us is probably at school/uni/game dev (:P)
And how many of those who have actual family still play this actively? 1?
There is a clear tendency that games are limited to a certain age frame and personal living situation. Whenever the personal time gets cut short, first thing to go is playing games cuz most people consider the other stuff more important.+

Not to mention that Asia is completely different cultural circle that can't be applied to Europe as easily as "Look, they do it too! We gonna be doing the same!"

Besides, OP says "Soon bigger...". All I say is "Nope, not any time soon." I simply do not believe that it's going to happen in Europe.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.