Poll

Do you think that the STRENGTH requirement for Medium/Heavy tier armours, should be increased?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Increase the difficulty requirement on Medium/Heavy tier armours. POLL ADDED!  (Read 25950 times)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Since it's having trouble with votes, might as well post what I had proposed to get more constructive criticism. People were able to vote yes/no to both the loom change and difficulty change.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:09:14 am by San »

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
It would be a great fix if agi + plate actually was overpowered. I'm slow as I am in my transitional and I don't need to be slowed down or prohibited to use probably the only really good looking armour in the game.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
I don't see 12 and 15 str users as the problem, I see armor effectiveness as the problem. Because of that, raising requirements wouldn't actually address the issues I have with armor and would instead create unnecessary, unforeseen side-effects.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Panos_

• იოსებ ბესარიონის ძე სტალინი
  • King
  • Renown: 2006
  • Infamy: 885
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • Come and get couched, Turk!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vyzantion (Palaiologos Era)
  • Game nicks: Panos_the_TurkSlayer
  • IRC nick: THE_PANOS
I don't see 12 and 15 str users as the problem, I see armor effectiveness as the problem. Because of that, raising requirements wouldn't actually address the issues I have with armor and would instead create unnecessary, unforeseen side-effects.

so, a problem is a problem only when you see it?

heh, I guess the 74% who voted yes on an increase on the armour requirements are just idiots.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Panos_

• King
    • View Profile
I WEAR PLATE ARMOUR, I RIDE A TANK HORSE, A ONE HIT PEOPLE WITH A GREAT LANCE, I HAVE A SHIELD AND A 1H SWORD AND ALL THAT WITH JUST 15 STRENGTH.

TOTAL BALANCE

You wanker, tell me which of those can a STR build do.

• King
    • View Profile
I think it would be great if like Byjnja and nordic helmet were like the best armour in the game, and also the lightest, and that if you wore them you would get a bonus 200% to damage, but only if you have like 0 athletics or something.

Buff what i use!
My point is there currently isn't a advantage in using heavy srmour with little strength. Yes you survive longer and I maxed thst out with 5 if, but there is the speed reduction too and once dusmounted I can do nothing but walk bsck and forth. I have 8 athletics, so I really feel that. Especially in combination with little dmg output.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
The only slight problem is that cav can use high tier armour and have high riding skill at the same time without movement (on horseback) being affected. Like stated many times before, heavy armour is not worth it on a high athletics build. On my STF (I_Cant_Block) I tried out 27/12, 18/21 and 16/24 in full plate. To no surprise, the 27/12 was miles better performance wise, as you tank a shit-ton and the movement penalty compared to medium armour is not noticeable. With the agi builds in plate, they just seemed like gimped versions of a balanced build with medium armour.

Like Oberyn suggested before, having equipment weight affecting cav maneuver or speed would've been nice, but I doubt it's possible/easy to do.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

• King
    • View Profile
Gurnisson, remember that cav is basically forced now to go high agi. Forcing them to play as a peasant on a heavy horse won't really help the mod.

Offline Sagar

• Earl
  • Renown: 463
  • Infamy: 279
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bogumili
  • Game nicks: Sagar
  • IRC nick: Sagar
And how you will ride as a peasant - with 21/18 build (that is on lvl 30 - and everyone now go on higher levels) ?
That is 21 str - difficulty for armor and 18 agy for riding.

Right now Transitional is 14 difficulty and Gothic Plate 15 difficulty - its ridicules.

And you are slow in heavy armor with 8 ath - that is how much wpf 185?
Imagine how is someone slow in heavy armor with 4 ath and 120 wpf ....

Offline Switchtense

• King
  • Renown: 1137
  • Infamy: 137
  • poking you where the sun dont shine!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns, BIRD CLAN BEST CLAN!
  • Game nicks: All sorts of Switch's
  • IRC nick: Switchtense
Good! If you wanna wear heavy armour you should be slow! Tanky but slow.

If you wanna be fast you use light or medium armour (hence the name: Light)
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.

Offline Panos_

• King
    • View Profile
What no rules fails to see, is that players who invest in agility  have it all in their plate.

15/24 : 8 Riding, 8 athletics, 5 IF, 5PS, I dont know how much shield skill you have, you can use a great lance that one hits people AND be a very effecient shielder when you get dismounted.

You can be tanky, and still be faster than a STR based character...

You shitlords keep repeating that agility is bad with heavy armour.

THEN WHY THE FUCK DO YOU USE IT THEN? Are you masochists?

Why the fuck do you want c-rpg to be a plate/spam fest? I`m sick and tired of players like phase, Running around with their coat of plates armour and 8 athletics doing never ending spam not giving a fuck about getting hit because of their armour protection.

God, you pricks are the cancer of the mod, always wanting to abuse something to feel great.

• King
    • View Profile
'tanky'? Well maybe more than a guy in rags, but a str guy in the same armour certainly is even more.

'faster'? Barely, the guy with a str build will have less speed reduction and you can be sure, there isn't much difference anymore.

You still forget the dmg output, which sucks.

When I am dismounted from my horse I am often ganked and have too little speed to make an opening and too little dmg output to defend myself. What does a few more hits mean if the 'agi guy in heavy armour' can't even fight back? The problem with your argumentation is that you only talk about agi guys becoming 'tanky', while you forget that the other two variables don't make this extra armour worth using.

To panos:
There were so may opportunities in-game where I was dismounted and got spammed the shit out of me by you and your flamberge. You even type shit in the chat when that happens, yet the only thing you seem to remeber is the amount of hits I took before going down? Well next time when you start typing "REKT" when you get me spammed to death I'll remind you of this agenda you are supposed to defend.

Offline Switchtense

• King
  • Renown: 1137
  • Infamy: 137
  • poking you where the sun dont shine!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns, BIRD CLAN BEST CLAN!
  • Game nicks: All sorts of Switch's
  • IRC nick: Switchtense
'tanky'? Well maybe more than a guy in rags, but a str guy in the same armour certainly is even more.

'faster'? Barely, the guy with a str build will have less speed reduction and you can be sure, there isn't much difference anymore.

You still forget the dmg output, which sucks.

When I am dismounted from my horse I am often ganked and have too little speed to make an opening and too little dmg output to defend myself. What does a few more hits mean if the 'agi guy in heavy armour' can't even fight back? The problem with your argumentation is that you only talk about agi guys becoming 'tanky', while you forget that the other two variables don't make this extra armour worth using.
I have the perfect solution for you: Don't get dismounted.

Anyway, so you are basically saying the following:

I wanna have wear heavy armour to be somewhat tanky.
I wanna still be fast as fuck though.
Also I still wanna be able to ride my horse.
And I want to have a huge damage output.

If you want to be fast on foot, don't wear HEAVY armour.
If you want to be fast and wear heavy armour just put more points into agility and athletics, at the cost of riding.
You wanna ride your horse? Live with not being able to run fast when wearing heavy armour.

Being mounted even grants you all of those four above mentioned benefits!
You are
1 Fast
2 Able to wear heavy armour
3 Obviously riding the horse
4 Huge damage output

Either use medium armour to begin with or stop complaining that you are slow as hell after being dismounted while wearing heavy armour.

Edit: Also I have no idea what armour you are using and how much athletics you have.
With my 7 athletics I can move just fine in Varangopoulos Armor. And that is pretty heavy if you ask me.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:09:21 pm by Switchtense »
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union

I was dismounted and got spammed the shit out of me by you and your flamberge.

First of all, are we talking about top speed or acceleration on foot? With 7 athletics I'm consistently faster in Gothic Plate than most EU1 players, it doesn't slow you down that much. The acceleration is slower though which makes footwork harder especially in ganks.

If you get spammed by a flamberge you've done something seriously wrong, even if you have 1wpf...

Wpf reduction is percentage, so 200wpf agibuild will lose twice as much wpf when using heavy armor compared to a guy with 100wpf. So the 100wpf difference is much less in reality, unless you run almost naked and then you'll get shot to pieces.

• King
    • View Profile
I wanna have wear heavy armour to be somewhat tanky.
I wanna still be fast as fuck though.
Also I still wanna be able to ride my horse.
And I want to have a huge damage output.

I already mentioned a thousand times before I want to use the transitional because it looks fucking awesome. I am just trying to say that the extra armour you get already isn't worth the speed reduction combined with your already low dmg output.

1 Fast
2 Able to wear heavy armour
3 Obviously riding the horse
4 Huge damage output
I think you are overestimating the powers of my build, my damage output is only high because I am using a great lance which also has some serious downsides. And indeed, I want to be able to wear heavy armour when I'm using a heavy horse. At lvl 31, the only possible pure cav build to use heavy horses is 15/24. Forcing people with high agi to use lighter armour will result in people on chargers riding around wearing cloth.

First of all, are we talking about top speed or acceleration on foot? With 7 athletics I'm consistently faster in Gothic Plate than most EU1 players, it doesn't slow you down that much. The acceleration is slower though which makes footwork harder especially in ganks.

If you get spammed by a flamberge you've done something seriously wrong, even if you have 1wpf...
Indeed, the acceleration is the most important part of being fast. Unless when you are an S-keyer ofcourse.
And indeed, if there are 2 opponents and certainly if there are 3 or more, it's extremely hard to survive in heavy gear and high agi. Just for your comparison: I can win 1 vs 3 with a pike if I'm wearing light armour...