Author Topic: Avatar - Shit movie, only decent character with the best quote  (Read 5835 times)

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: Avatar - Shit movie, only decent character with the best quote
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2014, 12:23:00 pm »
+1
Mankind is relatively limited too, with short lifespans, fragile bodies and small brains. We do have a peak and personally I dont think it's very far.

I'm pretty sure that's what some people thought when they saw revolutionary inventions in their own lifetimes in the past, too.

"this is it, can't get any better than that."

And look where we are at now.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2014, 12:38:13 pm »
+1
Been thinkin about that too, but honestly the best we can do is colonize planets in our solarsystem, if we even reach that point before raping our own planet into pieces. Unless we dont suddenly discover some super magicfuel there is no way we can go any further. A person wouldnt even live long enough to survive a single trip.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2014, 12:45:17 pm »
+3
Well, there's plenty of hydrogen and other possible fuel sources within our solar system, assuming we learn to use them.

Basically, I can think of only four ways to leave this place. Extremely fast ship, stasis tech, generation ship, sending embryos and such to other planet and let the children be raised by robots.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2014, 01:25:05 pm »
Well before we relied on animals. Then they discovered the super magic fuel of steam. Then oil. Who's to say we won't work out some other super magic fuel.

Offline Tibe

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2014, 01:43:39 pm »
Because it really has to be magic fuel. We are reliant on Earths resources and energetics have gone a long way that we can somewhat determine from which material we can squeeze out how much power and I highly doubt we will suddenly find vast amounts of some resource on Earth that could provide enough energy even for a one-way trip to another solar system. Steam, oli and nuclear energy are basically 0 compared to the power required for interstellar travel. There is no earthly material even close, that can provide the need. Im sure breakthroughs would eventually enhance planetary travel, but thats it. Ofcourse im no scientist or anything really, but this is pretty much my bet.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:46:49 pm by Tibe »

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2014, 01:48:29 pm »
Seriously man. Have you ever been to the center of the earth? Who knows what the fuck is down there  :P

Offline Tibe

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2014, 02:02:43 pm »
+4
No, but I watched "The Core" which is a superaccurate and totally legit movie.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2014, 02:10:23 pm »
+1
Or even just on the deep ocean floor, which we neglect exploring before dreaming of the stars. Man's is an extrovert culture.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2014, 02:53:58 pm »
+3
Nuclear Fusion is magical :o

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2014, 03:24:09 pm »
+2
Because it really has to be magic fuel. We are reliant on Earths resources and energetics have gone a long way that we can somewhat determine from which material we can squeeze out how much power and I highly doubt we will suddenly find vast amounts of some resource on Earth that could provide enough energy even for a one-way trip to another solar system. Steam, oli and nuclear energy are basically 0 compared to the power required for interstellar travel. There is no earthly material even close, that can provide the need. Im sure breakthroughs would eventually enhance planetary travel, but thats it. Ofcourse im no scientist or anything really, but this is pretty much my bet.

We already have it. It is called anti-matter with an energy yield of E=mc^2, and while we aren't making very much of it now, history has shown that humans have a remarkable tendency to find new ways to solve old problems. It was barely over 500 years ago when people thought it impossible to cross the ocean. Now you can go from America to China in hours. It is too bad that our lifetimes are so short, else I would gladly take your money.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2014, 03:25:51 pm »
+1
Or even just on the deep ocean floor, which we neglect exploring before dreaming of the stars. Man's is an extrovert culture.

You can't find aliens, or see angels on a dirty pitch-black ocean floor.

There is no better world where these crustaceans dwell...

Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2014, 04:44:57 pm »
We are exploring the ocean, but due to materials and knowledge, we have far less capability that we do exploring space. See, in space, there's so much mathmatics and small concerns that we have graciously expanded our knowledge in space travel. That and every single space disaster has changed how we approach the resolution of space colonization.

In fact, just to let everyone know, if we do use a pure FTL drive(IE something that comes CLOSE to the speed of light, relatively) time actually changes for those in the ship compared tot he galaxy at large.(ie 1 year on ship could be 100 years elsewhere). But we don't have the information, yet on how to manipulate or do said stuff.

In the same vein, though, we have found new methods of fuel using either existing sources(shale rock>gasoline) or new fuel sources(any kind of non fossil fuel gas/solar/wind/geo etc are all NEW energy sources). Sadly most of these are not "cost effective" so we rarely see them beyond demos, tests, or as curiosities. Once someone invents a way to get cheap fuel out of these sources, everything will change. In space, they've postulated using Hydrogen as a possible fuel source(being the most abundant gas currently known in our galaxy). I mean, Gas Giant? Yup lots of Hydrogen.

The thing that holds humans back isn't their capability to understand, it's our natural tendency to "be better than others," that does. Wars, Famines, Disease, Poverty, etc. will most likely follow us right up to the stars as well. We can't escape ourselves, no matter how hard we try.

Offline FleetFox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 711
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fox Shox Rox
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Torr and FleetFox
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2014, 06:04:48 pm »
+1
Well basically as Jeremy Riftkin points out, Hydrogen looks like the best bet for the future as Lt Anders just said. Also PTX was right in saying that Nuclear Fusion could be a big potential in the future. There is for sure many planets capable of harbouring life. Yes the chance is very small, but because there are billions of star systems in our galaxy, and with billions of galaxy's in the universe there is no chance there arn't any sentinel beings, sure they may not be carbon based but they might have other similarities :P
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 06:11:35 pm by FleetFox »
"Its better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
― Emiliano Zapata

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2014, 07:02:11 pm »
+1
I hate these cliché vegetarian human hating young adult/teen hipster my old friendgts

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2014, 07:10:52 pm »
+1
Mankind is relatively limited too, with short lifespans, fragile bodies and small brains. We do have a peak and personally I dont think it's very far.
Short lifespans and fragile bodies mean nothing to mankind as a whole because we can record information and pass it on to next generations. As for small brains, that's debatable, and we only need big enough brains to create something that enhances our intelligence - which we very likely have.

Species that cannot manipulate objects wouldn't develop human-like intelligence in the first place.
What do you base that on?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.