Author Topic: Which spear do you think it's the best for battles, when using a shield?  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Achilles_Lakedaimon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • '' We dont ask how many, but where they are. ''
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lakedaimon_Hoplite
Re: Which spear do you think it's the best for battles, when using a shield?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 08:23:43 am »
Yeah Im between Spear and Light Lance now, considering that War Spear is weaker than Spear, at least it seems like it.

I've tried the double sided lance, expecting it to be the best because of reasonable attack and short range, but I've got disappointed.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 08:26:59 am by Achilles_Lakedaimon »
'' How glorious fall the valiant, sword in hand, in front of battle for their native land! ''

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 08:46:22 am »
+2
The question you'll want to ask yourself now is:

"Do I want to be a hoplite with rather good range and the ability to rear horses and protect other classes better?"

"Or do I want to provide very close infantry support for my team, dealing more damage than I would otherwise, at the expense of cavalry coverage."
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Sari

• Duke
  • Renown: 507
  • Infamy: 111
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 09:53:51 am »
+1
You should use both. If you are getting spammed, you should use the spear. If there is too much cavalry, bring the light lance. Both spears have their ups and there downs. Just think of the situation on hand and chose the best polearm that would fit both the needs for your Allies and yourself.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 10:45:23 am »
+5
I find choosing the Light Lance over the Ashwood Pike utterly ridiculous. 3 pierce damage, 1 speed and 2 blunt damage for just 9 length? That is a terrible trade off. No way the extra length compensates for an enormous damage reduction in your effectivity. Why not use the bamboo spear then, at least you get 34 length for a 2 speed and 5p damage reduction. I thought the Ashwood Pike was the undisputed hoplite champion, but since the 1 speed reduction the War Spear and Red Tassel have gotten closer.

It depends on your hoplite style, but I prefer long and high damage weapons of which I think the Ashwood Pike still provides the best balance. Hoplites shine when supporting their team with their long spears, they are not a solo or duel class. It depends on your ability to fight up close with long spears as well, aka stab abuse. It does not turn that fast compared to some of the shorter and lighter spears, still turns fast enough for me to have no problem stabbing in any situations. For myself I'd still go for the Ashwood. Battle Fork is a decent choice as well, but it's enormous spearhead makes it more obvious and makes people more aware of it. I'd advise against the Spear, because of it's lack of horse stopping and general lack of reach which I feel is extremely important. Apart from that it has a good mix of damage, speed and length.

So I'd advise as follows:
- Ashwood Pike (if you are good at stab abuse, and proficient with two-directional polearms)
- War Spear (if you want a sheathable spear, or are not that good at stab abuse, much easier turning)
- Red Tassel (if you are sure you will mostly play as a hoplite, +2 speed and -1 damage is pretty good good as long as you don't think you will need the weaker swings)
- Battle Fork (Good damage, very nice as a two-directional weapon, but trading off 24 length for +2 damage makes it an inferior choice for a teamplaying hoplite)

I can't stress enough how ridiculous I find recommending the Light Lance as the best hoplite weapon, does not compute at all. Try the Ashwood Pike and the Light Lance for a longer time and see if you can gauge an effectivity difference, I am pretty sure you will.

Offline Cyber

• Count
  • Renown: 237
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Cyber
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 11:07:29 am »
If you want to use it as a anti cav weapon on your 1h/shield char as I am then war spear is best imo.

Offline Johammeth

• King
  • Renown: 1077
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ConnectiKUTT
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 05:47:00 pm »
+2
If you're looking at the War Spear, it's worth checking out the Red Tassel Spear  as well (same thing, but RT has -1 dmg and +2 speed).

Offline Achilles_Lakedaimon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • '' We dont ask how many, but where they are. ''
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lakedaimon_Hoplite
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 06:12:02 pm »

- Ashwood Pike (if you are good at stab abuse, and proficient with two-directional polearms)
- War Spear (if you want a sheathable spear, or are not that good at stab abuse, much easier turning)
- Red Tassel (if you are sure you will mostly play as a hoplite, +2 speed and -1 damage is pretty good good as long as you don't think you will need the weaker swings)
- Battle Fork (Good damage, very nice as a two-directional weapon, but trading off 24 length for +2 damage makes it an inferior choice for a teamplaying hoplite)

I can't stress enough how ridiculous I find recommending the Light Lance as the best hoplite weapon, does not compute at all. Try the Ashwood Pike and the Light Lance for a longer time and see if you can gauge an effectivity difference, I am pretty sure you will.

Many people recommended the Light Lance, and also I've seen people using it to great effect, I'm not really a fan of it since it lacks some pierce attack and isnt sheathable, but I guess the range is what may matter for a majority of the players, but I'm gonna compare the two.

If you're looking at the War Spear, it's worth checking out the Red Tassel Spear  as well (same thing, but RT has -1 dmg and +2 speed).

I'm gonna check it out, didnt noticed it before, nice avatar btw XD
'' How glorious fall the valiant, sword in hand, in front of battle for their native land! ''

Offline Lord_Bernie_of_Voodoo

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove Great Lances 2015
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Bernie
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 06:21:39 pm »
+1
To me, certain spears work with certain builds and others do not. It's important to note your STR v. Agility, whether you have a 1H sidearm and what shield you're using. I've been a hoplite for a while now and I've used the War Spear, but I find nearly any spear good in its own way - although I can find the bamboo hard to use when not in two-directional mode.

I think the popularity of the light lance comes primarily from its cheap price in comparison to the ashwood, though I may be wrong. Because to me, the ashwood is the overall best hoplite choice, even though it's not sheathable and is only two-directional and not four. As Teeth already noted, the trade off seems too weak to use a light lance.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 06:41:59 pm »
+1

Light lance is half the upkeep cost of ashwood pike, that's part of the reason I like it. You can go for a hefty shield and nice backup weapon without breaking the bank.

You can also hybrid as lancer/hoplite with the light lance. But that's not what this thread is about.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 07:07:38 pm »
+1
I find choosing the Light Lance over the Ashwood Pike utterly ridiculous. 3 pierce damage, 1 speed and 2 blunt damage for just 9 length? That is a terrible trade off. No way the extra length compensates for an enormous damage reduction in your effectivity. Why not use the bamboo spear then, at least you get 34 length for a 2 speed and 5p damage reduction. I thought the Ashwood Pike was the undisputed hoplite champion, but since the 1 speed reduction the War Spear and Red Tassel have gotten closer.

It depends on your hoplite style, but I prefer long and high damage weapons of which I think the Ashwood Pike still provides the best balance. Hoplites shine when supporting their team with their long spears, they are not a solo or duel class. It depends on your ability to fight up close with long spears as well, aka stab abuse. It does not turn that fast compared to some of the shorter and lighter spears, still turns fast enough for me to have no problem stabbing in any situations. For myself I'd still go for the Ashwood. Battle Fork is a decent choice as well, but it's enormous spearhead makes it more obvious and makes people more aware of it. I'd advise against the Spear, because of it's lack of horse stopping and general lack of reach which I feel is extremely important. Apart from that it has a good mix of damage, speed and length.

You're so generic Teeth. Have some uniqueness.

I have swore by this since I started using the Light Lance, that it has a bigger hit box with it than any of the other Hoplite spears I've used. I can facestab with that thing point blank, I can hit people beyond what should be its maximum reach. And it is highly maneuverable. A Hoplite should not be worried too much on damage as much as they are stopping cav and supporting their teammates. That's where the Light Lance shines. It is the perfect balance of length, damage, and value that it outshines Ashwood and many others every time I've used it.

It comes down to playstyle, I suppose. But even still, I find the Light Lance more versatile than any other type of Hoplite weapon after having had them all +3'd (sept for a few) at one point, the Light Lance was the only one that stayed.

I'm going to assume OP is relatively new, and OP, I would suggest you use the Light Lance hoplite more as a Support Class. Hoplites can be deadly as skirmishers, but they're much more effective for someone learning to Hoplite as a support class, and the Light Lance is going to give you the perfect balance of what you need to be effective.
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 07:19:16 pm »
+1
The easiest to learn is probably war spear or red tassel spear, with 1h weapon as a backup so you will have options in battlefield.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 01:46:59 am »
The easiest to learn is probably war spear or red tassel spear, with 1h weapon as a backup so you will have options in battlefield.

Spear, red tassel, and war spear are all 4 directional without a shield (and short/fast enough to fight 1v1 with). For a noob though, that might be overwhelming. You switch from 1 attack direction (thrust) and one block direction (shield) to 4 attack directions and 4 block directions. 1H + shield gives 4 attack directions but still 1 block direction. If you are good at manual blocking, switching to no shield will save you gear costs and (minor) equip weight. It's also more pro to drop your shield and clutch the end of the round duel with just the spear instead of spamming/turtling with sword & board.

edit: also if you go this route instead of pole/1H you can pump your pole WPF up that teeny bit higher.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 07:21:32 am by A_Hot_Elf_Princess »

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 02:07:49 am »
Light Lance 100%, or regular Spear for close range situations. The two best Hoplite polearms in my opinion.
funny how you will never see that weapons on EU(I am not implying that NA is worse than EU)

you were leaving
But I guess that's just the way the story goes
You always smile, but in your eyes
Your sorrow shows
NA is worse than EU
I really think so
And if you found it
You are fuking forum nerd
And you should get life
What you should know

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 02:49:59 am »
+1
funny how you will never see that weapons on EU(I am not implying that NA is worse than EU)

you were leaving
But I guess that's just the way the story goes
You always smile, but in your eyes
Your sorrow shows
NA is worse than EU
I really think so
And if you found it
You are fuking forum nerd
And you should get life
What you should know

Isn't that because the only people that play EU1 are ranged?

(click to show/hide)

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Lord_Bernie_of_Voodoo

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove Great Lances 2015
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Bernie
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2013, 02:53:04 am »
Also, i'd like to throw this out there, that the light lance is probably the coolest looking spear in the game.