Poll

Build? or Buy? (I suggest voting after you watch the video)

Build
Buy

Author Topic: Build VS Buy Gaming PC  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
Re: Build VS Buy Gaming PC
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 01:25:32 pm »
+3
Build it. It really is easy. Thou some pre-built PCs arent bad either, if you have cash to spare. And dat 780 Ti. I jizzed a little.

I didn't have a nerdy neckbeard as a dad nor cba learning how to build a master race PC

And this comment is supercute. You make it sound like it's rocketsience.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 01:50:09 pm »
+2

Sounds like a beta dad. Alpha dads gets other people to do the work for them.
I thought Alpha meant better, not just straight up worse at something.

Offline Lars

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 02:22:51 pm »
Well, you don't need so many fans. Also, power supplies with detachable cables are a must nowadays.

You are probably right about the fans, anyway i don't have so many fans, just 7  :wink: . So far they work pretty well , the temperature inside my case is generally around 19-23 °C , the sensor is between the ram and the motherboard ( even tho i would probably have ~the same temperature with a couple of fans less).
I want to buy this Pci fan card soon, or something similar http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/101
(click to show/hide)

My Psu has removable cables, should be this one, the gouriki3 600W http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/power-supply/gouriki-3.html , the "problem" is probably because some cables take up extra space inside my case due to the fact they have a lot of endings.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 02:42:38 pm »
+2
The value of knowledge is way higher than just being able to build other pcs faster.

That said, I personally ordered all the parts of a pc and asked the website to build it for me for an additional 40 euros, which is still much cheaper than typical pre-built equivalents, also considering that the total bulk I was charged for delivery was lower. It also means that because they test your pc before sending, it is a good way to avoid defective parts.

Offline Lars

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 02:57:51 pm »
The value of knowledge is way higher than just being able to build other pcs faster.

That said, I personally ordered all the parts of a pc and asked the website to build it for me for an additional 40 euros, which is still much cheaper than typical pre-built equivalents, also considering that the total bulk I was charged for delivery was lower. It also means that because they test your pc before sending, it is a good way to avoid defective parts.

Fair enough, it can definitely save you some time, but  i bet some  stores  just assemble your pc and then they don't test it  :P .
Did the website you are talking about send you a paper or something that certify the pc works?

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 04:17:04 pm »
+1

Fair enough, it can definitely save you some time, but  i bet some  stores  just assemble your pc and then they don't test it  :P .
Did the website you are talking about send you a paper or something that certify the pc works?

They are serious guys (http://www.materiel.net/ in french tho), I'm fairly sure I recieved a mail from them because I didn't order a graphics card so they used a generic one and couldn't test the pc in the same conditions as I would use it. The packaging was good too, as they protected the parts inside the case against vibrations and shocks, not just the exterior.

Anyway, the point is that if you ask the same people that sold you the parts to assemble them, you can easily throw the entire pc back at them if there is a problem, rather than consulting different manufacturers.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 06:00:03 pm »
+2
I built mine about a year ago. It was fairly easy to learn how to do, I had a pre-built computer before that wasn't cutting it and after looking at parts to upgrade I kind of learned the different components; learned mine was a micro-atx form factor, learned that cases were built to house different types of motherboards, learned that the motherboard had different socket types and compatibilities based on the current technology and then everything sort of branched out from their and I ended up just building a new one after some deliberation.

Now that I know how to do it I can't see myself ever buying a pre-built again but for others who haven't I can see it being less of a hassle in the short-term but at a higher cost.
And how!

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 06:04:36 pm »
+1
There's nothing to discuss. If you're a gamer, you probably care enough to build. If you're not going to build your own PC, you might as well get a Mac.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 06:11:01 pm »
+1
Dude, shut up, you're getting a dell.
And how!

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 06:12:44 pm »
Dude, shut up, you're getting a dell.

you're going to hell

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 06:15:28 pm »
When I get there I'll speak highly of you, love.
And how!

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 06:59:46 pm »
I'm sure you got that idea from your wife beater wearing coach potato Dad who only spoke to you when he wanted you to fetch him a beer. I would rather have a beta Dad if that's the case  :lol:.

My dad could kick your dads ass any day of the week! Even sundays.

Offtopic I know, but is that guy dying in that gif?

Maybe. what's it to ya?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 08:52:22 pm »

Sounds like a beta dad. Alpha dads gets other people to do the work for them.

people who are worried/concerned with if they fit into someone else's stereotypes, are betas.  In 2013 as someone who uses a computer, you should be able to build your own.  There's many guides to purchasing and building a PC out there.  The hardest part is installing the motherboard, everything else is pretty much plug it into the slot.  Or possibly making sure everything will be compatible. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2013, 09:29:36 pm »
+1
The hardest part is definitely some of the naming conventions for things and what some of the numbers actually mean, I still don't understand the details of probably 75% of it but thankfully I wasn't so lazy that I didn't compare specs, reviews and price-points.

The hardest part of actually constructing the computer for me was how clammy my hands got when I first started handling the hardware, the fact that I was paranoid about static discharge and putting the heat-sink on the processor because there's apparently no "best" method for applying thermal paste and my heat-sink wouldn't actually clamp down until I thought to loosen the brackets on the motherboard.
And how!

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 09:50:21 pm »
Especially if you are using liquid metal compounds, applying thermal paste is probably the most error-prone operation.