Author Topic: Longsword vs Katana  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Gmnotutoo

• King
  • Renown: 1387
  • Infamy: 229
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Space Pope of BIRD CLAN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns
  • Game nicks: Gmnotutoo
Re: Longsword vs Katana
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2013, 03:00:27 am »
Yeah, this length&weight vs speed factor bugs me too. LS/HBS/BS are perfectly balanced between each others, but katana's stats don't align with them.

On the other hand I kind of like katana being shittier than those others, because it keeps it from becoming too mainstream.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to try to get it buffed but just reworked. I think the katana should have more speed and less swing damage.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

THIS IS A MANLY CLAN. FOR MANLY MEN. DOING MANLY THINGS.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2013, 03:11:12 am »
That's what the bastard sword is already like. Current BS is like the pre-buff katana but better in a few areas. It'll be hard to do adjust the swing/damage of katana like that without the katana or BS being straight up inferior to the other one.

Offline Gmnotutoo

• King
  • Renown: 1387
  • Infamy: 229
  • Space Pope of BIRD CLAN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns
  • Game nicks: Gmnotutoo
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2013, 03:21:09 am »
That's what the bastard sword is already like. Current BS is like the pre-buff katana but better in a few areas. It'll be hard to do adjust the swing/damage of katana like that without the katana or BS being straight up inferior to the other one.

The stab would remain the same for the katana, so it would be the inferior option in this position. I wanted to swing my sword so fast that a hurricane would form on the opposite side of the world.

THIS IS A MANLY CLAN. FOR MANLY MEN. DOING MANLY THINGS.

Offline Phantasmal

• Duke
  • Renown: 510
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Phantasmal_Astralis, The_Ebon_Hawk
  • IRC nick: Phantasmal
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2013, 05:46:34 am »
+1
Who knew cRPG had so many ancient weapon masters?

cRPG is not balanced by realism, so this argument over which one is historically better is useless.
Worst admin ever, horrible person, rude in chat, griefs in game, threatens with kicks and bans if you don't praise him in his admin thread, doesn't worship the goat, and worst of all, uses a crossbow, I suggest instant removal of admin rights and crucifixion.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2013, 05:50:13 am »
+1
Who knew cRPG had so many ancient weapon masters?

cRPG is not balanced by realism, so this argument over which one is historically better is useless.
THROWING LANCE IS HISTORICALLY BETTER THAN ARBALEST IF YOU DISAGREE I WONT TAKE YOU TO THE GOBBLINBAL
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Legs

• Marshall
  • Renown: 819
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player
  • Loco Motive
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arms, Legs
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2013, 04:43:30 pm »
+1
That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Bastard Sword" bullshit that's going on in cRPG right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I’m talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that’s about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana. Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind. Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I’m pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash. Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That’s right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in cRPG. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:
(Two-Handed Exotic Weapon)
weapon length: 95
weight: 1.5
difficulty: 9
speed rating: 110
thrust damage: 30 pierce
swing damage: 48 cut
slots: 2

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don’t you think?
tl;dr = Katanas need to do more damage in cRPG, see my new stat block.

(click to show/hide)
Legs are used for standing, walking, jumping, running, kicking, and similar activities.

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Saxon
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2013, 05:28:55 pm »
the katana used to be the only weapon where i thought, what is that doing here with them stats, mass damage and no problem spam.

but now its ok, so is the longsword, both are good to fight against and can counter easy enough.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2013, 09:26:28 pm »
+2
I should know what I’m talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that’s about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana. Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind. Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I’m pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash. Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That’s right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in cRPG. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:
(Two-Handed Exotic Weapon)
weapon length: 95
weight: 1.5
difficulty: 9
speed rating: 110
thrust damage: 30 pierce
swing damage: 48 cut
slots: 2

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don’t you think?
tl;dr = Katanas need to do more damage in cRPG, see my new stat block.

(click to show/hide)

O man, your funny.

Lets do some thinking based on reality. If you use a sword that cost you a lot (I guess its a lot for you since you are clearly showing off), why are you cutting blocks of steel with it?

If you got a sword made in japan, today, I guarantee either a/ it was NOT made with native japanese steel or b/ you got ripped off.

The folding technique was to provide the blade enough strengh and remove its brittle qualities, inherent in the crap iron deposits that japan has.

Using that technique with modern steel from good ore and a good mix could make a VERY nice blade. Likewise, using modern steel for plate armor would make it immune to your katana. A longsword made from modern steel vs a modern steel breatplate: would maybe penetrate, who knows, noone is in the business of making authentic period weapons and armor from modern steel and then smashing them.

Europeans where NOT afraid of conquering japan, for 2 reasons: the vast majority of europeans didnt even know that japan excisted, and if they had WHY would they conquer it? Small landmass, massively unstable geographically, with very poor natural resources...

Stop watching anime dude.
I don't know enough

Offline Legs

• Marshall
  • Renown: 819
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player
  • Loco Motive
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arms, Legs
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2013, 10:01:00 pm »
+3
Katanas were known to cut through machine gun barrels of American G.I.s during WW2, look it up it's a proven fact.

Katanas are the greatest swords of all time, no question about it. If anything they should be unblockable because IRL they would just cut through the enemy's weapon.
Legs are used for standing, walking, jumping, running, kicking, and similar activities.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2013, 10:04:32 pm »
That looks more like 1h OP to me. 1h no shield katana and we will all be battosai.

Offline Utrakil

• Marshall
  • Renown: 885
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Randwig; Gerwin; Marketenderin; Fletcher
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2013, 10:05:25 pm »
+1
I think you (Legs) confuse "katana" with "lightsaber".  :wink:     (intensified)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2420
  • Infamy: 2710
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2013, 10:11:50 pm »
+5

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2013, 10:28:13 pm »
+1

I fucking read it like 9 times, but decided it was too much. Did I really get it wrong? FUCK. I just didn't think anyone could it pour it so thick for so long without even a wink...

O well, I am trolled, Im grinning IRL like a tard.

EDIT: Fuck I didn't check the pic, that would have sinched it for sure. How was I so stupid?
I don't know enough

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2013, 05:38:18 am »
cant a katana cut through a fencing sword it would be like scooby doo salami versus sword

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2013, 02:21:36 pm »
legs is trolling the entire community, no one would pay 20,000 for a katana and go and actually use it. BTW guys, not a single sword in the world could slash through a well made full plate armor. That is why in the late 15th and 16th century shields becames more and more obsolete, 2handed weapons became more common for the plated knight. Because of the arms and armor race constantly going on, weapons developed to counter this ofcourse, so european swords became sturdier and more pointy to be beter at stabbing. You might think stabbing would penetrate the armor, but barely, it might have gone through the armor, but let me remind you that there would be a gambeson underneath the plate. Not only that, but your weapon would be stuck in your enemies armor, so that would give your opponent(who might be lightly wounded or not at all) the chance to stab you in the face. So, to be able to do some serious damage to a knight in plate armor you would have to find gaps in the armor to stab through, usually those were located in the armpits, near the genetals and if the breastplate consisted of multiple parts, inbetween those. To counter this lame ass tactic there small patches of mail were sewn to the gambeson on the places that were less protected by the plates, these things are called plate companion sets.

Sincerely,

Your history teacher Berethorn

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)