Author Topic: Morningstar: Yay or Nay?  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Morningstar: Yay or Nay?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 06:23:14 pm »
So I've been tinkering around with the Miaodao and I enjoy playing it a lot. Going for a 18/21 2hand build, possibly using a blunt weapon.

However, I've seen a lot of people using the morningstar with a shield. I'm interested in using it because of its can-opening pierce damage and bonus against shields.

How does it work with a shield in terms of speed/damage reduction? Is it worth using a shield with it? Should I invest in 1h skill if I want to use it?
Feel free to include other suggestions.

I've dicked around with 2h/1h weapons in 1h mode quite a bit since the respec patch.  Even with plenty of 1h WPF I can say that they are still very slow.  It's a neat concept but the execution is awful.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline Screaming Idiot

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: HoC_Screaming_Idiot
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 06:52:23 pm »
+1
Okay guys, I get the whole "Dont use 2h on 1h mode".

Now to the other issue:

Comparing the Morningstar to the Bar Mace, Long Iron Mace, Studded Warclub, Mallet, and Great Maul: Which is better?
Other weapon suggestions are appreciated.

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 07:26:54 pm »
+3
Morningstar has good damage and armor penetration and can be used on horseback, barmace is longer and can knock down, and great maul is the hardest 2h IMO but devastating if used properly - it can crush through blocks with overhead swing if you hold it a bit and have more STR than the opponent, and it also knocks down more often.

My favourite is the barmace.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 07:58:25 pm »
+2
I'd suggest the bar mace for regular battle server.  Morningstar is very good in strategus because so many people are using very heavy armor.  Mallet is a fun weapon, and easier to use than the great maul, but won't crush though nearly as often.  Great maul is pretty hard to use IMO, at least until you get some experience with it.  Running around with one makes you an instant target for a lot of people.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 09:39:06 pm »
+2
Screaming, I'm fairly sure the 30% damage penalty was removed, there is however still the 30% speed reduction, which makes the 1h morningstar extremely slow, it's a decentish weapon though once you're used to the slowness.
And to your comparison, bar mace or morningstar are probably the best of those weapons.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 10:56:53 pm »
+2
Also I need to add that the morningstar is one of the best shieldbreaker weapon in the game!

A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline Screaming Idiot

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: HoC_Screaming_Idiot
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 11:44:42 pm »
+1
Also I need to add that the morningstar is one of the best shieldbreaker weapon in the game!

It also has that sweet can opening 38 pierce.

I think I'll go for the Bar Mace. I have used it before, and quite frankly it is very fun to use. Balanced in range and speed, hard hitting and with some sweet knockdown. I like it.

Thanks for all the help!

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 03:30:41 am »

Persian War Axe, and Great Long Bardiche....or am I missing out on something.  :?

I like the Long Iron Mace it knocks down a lot and it has great damage and speed. I hated the thrust at first but now I love it! So much so I had to masterwork it!

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 05:24:38 am »
Persian War Axe, and Great Long Bardiche....or am I missing out on something.  :?

"...one of the best..."

Don't know what you missed... :lol:
A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 05:38:19 pm »
Screaming, I'm fairly sure the 30% damage penalty was removed, there is however still the 30% speed reduction, which makes the 1h morningstar extremely slow, it's a decentish weapon though once you're used to the slowness.
And to your comparison, bar mace or morningstar are probably the best of those weapons.

is this confirmed?
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2013, 06:02:29 pm »
is this confirmed?

Xeen was screwing around with a +3 Morningstar in 1h mode the other day, and it was hitting me for like ~15 dmg (about what 1h swords hit me for). So there is definitely still a damage penalty.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2013, 06:06:04 pm »
+1
Morning star in 1H is actually pretty good, because the ammount of time that it takes to swing it can throw some people off guard.

That said, if they will just go and spam you, you are dead meat.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2013, 06:08:49 pm »
Morning star in 1H is actually pretty good, because the ammount of time that it takes to swing it can throw some people off guard.

The same reason it's good on horseback. It just hangs out there for a long time, able to hit people.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2013, 06:10:24 pm »
The same reason it's good on horseback. It just hangs out there for a long time, able to hit people.

Never tried that, might be fun.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2013, 09:51:29 pm »
Just know that damage types (c, b, p) has no effect on braeking shields. Whether it is 38 pierce or 38 cut, it will do the same damage to shields. This is however not that important because that, anything with "bonus vs. shields" are super effective to shields; you will not feel much of a difference if your aim is breaking people's shields. Morningstar is also very effective on horseback, never miss using it on strat battles especially. It is a very popular choice in "today's modern armies".

Bar mace? It's simply a beast. Just be wary that it has 4.5 weight, it slows you down more than swords and you will feel that difference in battle a bit and it doesn't have thrust attack. However, you will knock out everyone in your path like a pro.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D