Author Topic: Thoughts on Religion and the State  (Read 19686 times)

Offline Segd

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Religion and the State
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 03:25:03 pm »
+2
If there's anywhere that this question still requires much discussion, it's in the muslim world. Map of nations having a "state religion":
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_state_religions.svg
Forgot Russia. 2 years of imprisonment for dancing in a church.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 03:30:09 pm »

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 04:14:54 pm »
+7
While he stated that he was approached by an EU judge who then told him how sad he is, that his own president may not use religious phrases like that, i think that had been more a private moment with a private opinion and if the referred to EU judge would be offically asked what he would prefer. A separation of chruch and state or f.e. a crusade into the middle east, i think he would go with the separation. I am even inclined to go sofar, that in another private moment, that EU judge would prefer the separation no matter what, as perahps even all EU judges would go that way nowadays. Afterall we have now the knowledge about Bush's hidden agendas and false/missleading intelligence. From that we can pretty surly conclude he only used the religous phrases to get the support from the religious right in the USA ... which again he got ... even for a second term ... where most of in europe had been suprised he got a first one ^^. I myself was stunned that he was elected the first time as i already had seen footage in the internet about bush and his escapades as governeur *mindblowing* 2000 and before.

Now to my thoughts/opinion on the topic.

Sepparation of church and state doesnt even go far enough in germany. We still have a cross hanging over the doors in our classrooms. If a youngling or his parents whant him to be educated religiously, that should be up to him, but it is not the business of the state to enforce it or support it with kind of subliminal messages(as a cross over every class room is subliminal 0_o)

I am an agnostic, without any religion, i was educated as lutheran, i do have believes, parts out of several religions which i can embrase, good morals and true rules we should live by. I am not against religion, but as agnostic i say, i don't know if there is a god or there is none, i just don't care about something which cant be proven and why would i invest my time and energy into something like that. When i see also from where many of the concepts come represented in any religion, then i also know for sure, there is nothing uniq or especially separating within religions from each other, so it is quite strange to me that there could be even wars about the matter and people getting totally worked up ... perhaps as strange as other may saw me defending agility based shield playstyle 3 years back, when it was written in stone that only str based shielders have a future ^^.

That said, politicians, demagogs, popularity whoring vote counting lieing powerhungry selfabsorved ... politicians ... use everything they can to get elected and fullfill their selfinterests(which may widely differ from what they tell us ^^ hence the lieing)
I don't like to be used, manipulated, misslead or lied to, religion but is being used in statments like an advertising of the own goodness of a politican and when he repeats over and over and over again that crap, at some point people start believing it. Not because it is true , but because people want to hope and want to believe, to get stability in their lives and theirfor but open the door for people with hidden agendas.
That btw. is pretty much the same with phrases with tendencies to nationalism and patriotism, they are used to manipulate us.

Conclusion, so that the state doesnt develop into a mindless organ which is just there to fill us with any crap any now and then a new messiahs spills out, i would prefer if that stuff keeps do be private. Anyone can believe whatever he wants, but please state, don't try and make us believe anything. Just stay out of my head, mind, soul, it doesnt belong to you state, it never will. I will educate myself concerning religions, you state please take care that anyone within your population gets the well rounded education so those who will later educate themselves about religions will have already the tools to do so.

EDIT: Bill Hicks: "You think when Jesus comes back he wants to see a fuckign cross?"
 :lol: genius
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 04:28:32 pm by kinngrimm »
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 09:09:30 pm »
+3
The US has separation of church and state. Dominionists are not a political factor, even most of the far-right christians have a tendency to worship the constitution when it comes to the rule of law, not necessarily the bible. The deification of the founding fathers and the mythology built around them (especially by conservatives) is a big hint.
If there's anywhere that this question still requires much discussion, it's in the muslim world. Map of nations having a "state religion":

Yes, sure, in theory. But the US has a crazy amount of "believers" compared to Europe. In Scandinavia, it is extremely rare to meet anyone that's not an atheist. Believers got made fun of in school. In many parts of the US, it's completely the opposite: atheists bullied in school and made fun of. Europe's almost gotten over the whole religion thing as a whole, but US is still far from that.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 09:25:35 pm »
+6
Yes, sure, in theory. But the US has a crazy amount of "believers" compared to Europe. In Scandinavia, it is extremely rare to meet anyone that's not an atheist. Believers got made fun of in school. In many parts of the US, it's completely the opposite: atheists bullied in school and made fun of. Europe's almost gotten over the whole religion thing as a whole, but US is still far from that.

I can confirm.

Ask people if they care about religion in politics and most americans would either be ok with it or neutral.

Turn around and mention its a religion different than chrisitianity and god help you (huehue).

If you even mention atheism in politics... lol. A gay racist muslim has a better chance of being prez than an atheist in murica.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2013, 12:13:58 am »

The north, yes. But not the south. And not the east, either. The north had it easier to get over it, since it didn't exactly arrive with love and peace in its hands and was thus never really welcome there.

But yeah, America is still a completely different story.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 12:08:01 pm »

Wait...

Norway, Finland, Denmark... wtf?

The north, yes. But not the south. And not the east, either. The north had it easier to get over it, since it didn't exactly arrive with love and peace in its hands and was thus never really welcome there.

But yeah, America is still a completely different story.

In Europe, there is France which is so far the country with the most sound state/religion separation and state neutrality (for historical reasons). It is getting eroded right now though as things like banning all religious symbols in state workplaces is considered intolerant for some reason.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2013, 07:26:18 pm »
Religion influences culture. Culture influences laws. But religion should never influence laws in this era. At least anything outside the morals a religion teaches.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 07:29:23 pm by Havoco »
Pock gobblers

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 07:29:53 am »
+1

Wait...

Norway, Finland, Denmark... wtf?

In Europe, there is France which is so far the country with the most sound state/religion separation and state neutrality (for historical reasons). It is getting eroded right now though as things like banning all religious symbols in state workplaces is considered intolerant for some reason.

Historically the nordic countries and England having a state church was largely because of protestantism and the rejection of the pope. Supposedly the royals are still ruling through the grace of god. Scandinavian countries are still some of the most secular in Europe though. Compared to literally any of the muslim state religions on the list where the koran is literally enshrined in their constitutions as the basic guide to all laws and morals.

Offline Yazid

• tEh eNl1gTh3N3d!1!!
  • Baron
  • Renown: 99
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2013, 07:32:53 am »
+1
I think when you guys talk shit about religion, what you really mean is Abrahamic religions, and that is a problem of its own, both your in your 'enlightened humanist' intolerance and lack of knowledge of all religions, while touting some sort of fully automatic model of scientific atheism as the solution, none is the solution. For some reason you don't think Abrahamic religons of undergoing transformations from within so you feel the need to put them down.

If you have more thoughts on religion in general look up a fellow by the name of 'Alan Watts' and listen to what he's got to say.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2013, 07:48:56 am »
+6
Well maybe because abrahamic religions are the vast majority in the world? I'm not an atheist, so your strawman falls flat at the first hurdle. And I definetely don't want to replace religions with another codified set of "morals". I'm agnostic. I emphatically agree that mysticism and spirituality can be beneficial for personal growth. The problem with religions is  the "organized" part, not the religious part. There isn't one well-represented religion extant today that has not been exploited in some form or another by rulers for very obvious realpolitik material gains, or as a marker of tribal identity. So separate the actual worth that religion brings from the secular, material powers. That's what "secularism" means, not some invented "enlightened humanism" or "scientific atheism". It just means keep your fucking tribal myths outside of policy and law making. The current problem with Islam imo is how impossible it is to separate the political from the religious. They are practically synonyms.

Where exactly is there a transformation or reform going on in the Islamic world? The biggest regional powers being Saudia Arabia, Iran and Pakistan, where in those countries is there a transformation? If anything they are getting more conservative and reactionary by the year. The Gulf countries are fighting a religious war against the shia in Iran. Of course the whole thing is merely realpolitiks, but this being the middle east religion overlays the whole thing like a second skin. Sunni vs Shia, wahhabi and deobandis being funded by the Gulf while Hezbollah and the shia fanatics are funded by Iran. Oh my, such a beautiful transformation, tell me more about how if we only wish it hard enough a beautiful butterfly of tolerance and love and progress will magically emerge from that cocoon.

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2013, 07:53:44 am »

In the past this may have been true, but this definitely was not the case in the schools I went to. Especially once I entered highschool and college.

Religious kids in school in my region of America have always seemed like a minority to me. Those who were religious usually weren't comfortable with talking about their beliefs outside of church because they would be teased, mocked, or made fun of. Most families who bring their kids up according to a certain religion tend to put their kids into private schools because of the lack of religious acceptance in the public school system among kids and young adults. There are like the same number of private schools as there are public schools in my area.

Of course I live near silicon valley (north california), so maybe we are more forward thinkers in this region compared with other parts of the country... I certainly don't doubt Utah might still be like that.

Offline Eugen

• Count
  • Renown: 180
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Postla
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2013, 07:53:56 am »
ON WRIT OF CERTIORARI TO THE UNITED STATES COURT OF APPLES FOR THE SITH CIRCUIT:

1. Its a human right to have freedom of believe, freedom of speech, etc...
2. Laws should be made for peace and prospering of the people.

How could anyone care what kind of religious prayers or personal believes someone is uttering, as long as he does not force his believes on others or harms anyones freedom or personal integrity. Its his privat and personal right to do so and in no way it is the matter for any political discussion.

I am forever for the segregation of state and church.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2013, 08:02:52 am »
+1
I think when you guys talk shit about religion, what you really mean is Abrahamic religions, and that is a problem of its own, both your in your 'enlightened humanist' intolerance and lack of knowledge of all religions, while touting some sort of fully automatic model of scientific atheism as the solution, none is the solution. For some reason you don't think Abrahamic religons of undergoing transformations from within so you feel the need to put them down.

If you have more thoughts on religion in general look up a fellow by the name of 'Alan Watts' and listen to what he's got to say.

Personally, it's all religions. I grew up in a country where the state favored one religion heavily over all others, and I wouldn't care if they supported Asatru, Buddhism, or Judaism. Any religious involvement in government is bad for everyone. While it's impossible to take away religious bias from the act of government in a society that still practices religion, we should at least try and limit it, if only because of the social impact it has on a culture.

I don't think scientific atheism is the solution. I think people not caring about religion would be better.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2013, 09:31:41 am »
+2
"Scientific atheism" isn't a religion. It isn't a replacement for it. It's something completely unrelated. Absence of delusions is useful when you're doing science, but not related to it.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.