Author Topic: Assassin's Creed 4  (Read 8844 times)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
Re: Assassin's Creed 4
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2013, 06:36:29 pm »
It just shows the moneygrabbing nature of the studio. It makes no sense at all, but they do it anyways because pirates sell.

If people are actually interested in playing that period though surely that isn't a bad thing as they are actually catering to what people want?

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2013, 07:29:39 pm »
If people are actually interested in playing that period though surely that isn't a bad thing as they are actually catering to what people want?

Sorry, but slapping pirates over a franchise that has nothing really to do with them does not make it awesome, remember Risen 2.

As far as I can remember, this game was originally more or less about assasinating  plot-important villains, not sailing a ship and fucking arund in pirate costume.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2013, 07:38:48 pm »
+3
Are you saying you cant assassinate plot important characters while sailing around at the same time?
I really don't see the problem with the theme of this one, far more interesting than 3 also a nice change to the dynamic of gameplay that the franchise sorely needs.
Turtles

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2013, 07:52:45 pm »
Are you saying you cant assassinate plot important characters while sailing around at the same time?
I really don't see the problem with the theme of this one, far more interesting than 3 also a nice change to the dynamic of gameplay that the franchise sorely needs.

Nope you still can, but why would any assasin want to become a notorious pirate, and why on earth pirates?

This game doesnt need more firearms, it needs more assasination techniques, more plot options, greater lenght, higher difficulty (I was seriously like WTF when they introduced kill streaks inBrohood that allowed me to murder half of the city guard without any real problems), and better story.

Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2013, 07:57:34 pm »
+4
I really don't see the problem.

AC has never been hard, it's always been a doddle since the first one because they have always had insta-kill counter attacks. But it's a game that's never been about difficulty. For me it's always been about presenting me with cities, terrain and places that I'd have loved to have seen in those time periods and doing a good job of bringing them alive. And so far (except maybe for AC3) they have fulfilled that for me. To expect any different isn't really realistic, and it also doesn't particularly seem to be what people want considering how well these games sell.

The future side of AC has always been a sideline for me as well and I've never been all that interested in it so I'm not fussed about the plot holes ect.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2013, 08:03:33 pm »
+1

Sorry, but slapping pirates over a franchise that has nothing really to do with them does not make it awesome, remember Risen 2.

As far as I can remember, this game was originally more or less about assasinating  plot-important villains, not sailing a ship and fucking arund in pirate costume.

Risen Dark Waters sucked because height of the Gothic franchise(which is what Risen is basically part of, wether it likes it or not) died long ago with Jowood, a company thats been bankruped for some time now. And Deep Silver just continued making the exact same mistakes of producing terribly bugged games with crap combatmechanics in Jowoods example.

Id like to say you are wrong. I consider sailing a ship and "fucking arund in a pirate costume" a very nice change of pace. The rooftopthing got really boring long ago and this seemed like the oblivious move, considering the fact that the only thing people really endorsed in AC3 was sailing. So going for pirates is logical. Who else would you sail for anyway? The Assassins Order personal armada?

Nope you still can, but why would any assasin want to become a notorious pirate, and why on earth pirates?

And the protagonist was an pirate first before he was a assassin, which makes sense. Get your faxs straighte!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:08:03 pm by TiberiusX »

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2013, 08:15:21 pm »
Risen Dark Waters sucked because height of the Gothic franchise(which is what Risen is basically part of, wether it likes it or not) died long ago with Jowood, a company thats been bankruped for some time now. And Deep Silver just continued making the exact same mistakes of producing terribly bugged games with crap combatmechanics in Jowoods example.

Id like to say you are wrong. I consider sailing a ship and "fucking arund in a pirate costume" a very nice change of pace. The rooftopthing got really boring long ago and this seemed like the oblivious move, considering the fact that the only thing people really endorsed in AC3 was sailing. So going for pirates is logical. Who else would you sail for anyway? The Assassins Order personal armada?

And the protagonist was an pirate first before he was an assassin and that makes sense. Get your faxs straighte!

Meh whatever.

I just dont feel that piracy and sailing fits the assasin creed premise.

Why just not to call it Black flag and ditch the assassins creed bit?

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2013, 08:17:24 pm »
+2
Nope you still can, but why would any assasin want to become a notorious pirate

If you bothered to play the game for more than 5 minutes or at least read the plot, you would know that's not the case.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2013, 08:22:52 pm »
If you bothered to play the game for more than 5 minutes or at least read the plot, you would know that's not the case.

OK OK, I see that none of you want to hear my genre and franchise rambling so whatever.

It is just my opinion that there is no need for this guns and pirates bs and instead they should focus on different setting and age, that is all.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:57:14 pm by Nightmare798 »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2013, 08:55:31 pm »
+1
I recommend turning SSI off from HUD options. Makes combat slightly more challenging and the game overall more pleasing to the eye when there aren't floating neon-colored things everywhere.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2013, 11:09:43 pm »
SSI?

Good News everyone...

I don't really know why but I noticed that I can already play AC4 although it's supposed to unlock on the 21st... no idea why but I could play just now after finishing the "pre-load".

(click to show/hide)

I am happy that it's running with all eye-candy smooth even inside the city for me. Seems to be better optimized than AC3. Benefit of the NewGen consoles?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 12:13:19 am by benkei »
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2013, 01:48:54 am »
+1
SSI off means there's no longer floating attack icons when guards are attacking, so you have to look for the animation to block, and you'll only see mission objectives on the minimap, no floating "KILL!!! 1928 METERS!!!" on the screen.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2013, 07:30:44 am »
That sounds fun. I can't remember those icons being removable before. Is it a new "feature" or was it my blindness?

Certainly gonna give it a try. Normally I don't check all the options in a new game. First way is to the gfx settings and then I start the game. Nice tip, appreciate it.

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2013, 03:29:58 pm »
+1
Seriously, if you're going to play this, atleast turn off  the health bar, SSL, and most importantly, the mini-map. Doing so actually makes you explore and look around the world, instead of going from map-marker to map-marker. Combat this way is also much more fun.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2013, 04:45:13 pm »
Turning off the icons is indeed really nice but I won't turn off the mini-map. I am too lazy to look into every single corner of every single house... and there are a bunch of them.

I can already say that I am enjoying it a lot so far. Even the story seems to be rather interesting - not gonna spoil anything tho and I expect everyone else not to - but I have high hopes for now :P
New setting gives the franchise a nice breeze.

Mi likez... tho the combat seems to be even easier than before but much more fluid too. When you're in a kill animation, they will already start attacking you again. Seems to speed it up a little.