Author Topic: Looking for a special archer build  (Read 953 times)

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
Looking for a special archer build
« on: November 13, 2013, 09:59:08 pm »
I've tried a couple archer builds already, but they didn't quite seem satisfying -- so let me tell you what I've tried and maybe some expert archers out there can help make recommendations for me.

I've tried 18/18
(click to show/hide)
I liked this build because I could still do well in melee with 50 or 60 wpf in 1h -- but I didn't feel very powerful or effective as an archer.  One half or more of my kills were melee kills.

I've tried 27/9
(click to show/hide)
This was kind of a "lol" build.  I wanted power -- but I still couldn't 1-shot people wearing light armor so I wasn't satisfied.  I had high PS, but no melee wpf and low ath so I kind of sucked in melee.  I wasn't very accurate as an archer so I kind of sucked at shooting too.   I got some good shots in, but I kind of sucked at everything.

I like the Rus Bow the best (and used it the most with these builds) -- I also like having some powerstrike so I can defend myself.....but I'll consider anything.

Does anyone have build advice so I can become an expert archer and kill/hurt people enough to the point the call me a bundle of sticks?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 10:07:42 pm by Garison »

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
Re: Looking for a special archer build
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 10:05:57 pm »
im no expert on my old friendchery

but, with 9 pd and a rus (what arrows were you using?)

you had to have been doing some dmg

you werent 1 shotting people, but you mustve been putting alot of black on peoples health bars

my old friendchery isnt really designed for 1 shotting, try throwing for that
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 10:15:04 pm »
im no expert on my old friendchery

but, with 9 pd and a rus (what arrows were you using?)

you had to have been doing some dmg

you werent 1 shotting people, but you mustve been putting alot of black on peoples health bars

my old friendchery isnt really designed for 1 shotting, try throwing for that

(click to show/hide)

Yeah, I think I hurt people pretty bad, but I had to be pretty close to hit with any consistency.  When I'm too close like that, I got easily surrounded and killed in melee.  What that build WAS good for was killing horses -- I also did pretty well in a strat fight where the defending team had a nice spot for archers to shoot the enemy at close/medium range.

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 10:38:48 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 06:33:33 pm »
Some people say the "middle finger" as an insult was invented by English a[r]chers to taunt the french.

SO IRONIC.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 06:53:51 pm »
Here is my Combat Archer (aka, non-my old friendcher) build for actually fighting and not running away/kiting. Surprisingly good, even for siege.
(click to show/hide)

Btw: on your 18/18 build, what were your wpf like? You need more archery wpf than melee wpf because of the retarded bonus damage from archery wpf.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 07:02:29 pm »
Here is my Combat Archer (aka, non-my old friendcher) build for actually fighting and not running away/kiting. Surprisingly good, even for siege.

Btw: on your 18/18 build, what were your wpf like? You need more archery wpf than melee wpf because of the retarded bonus damage from archery wpf.

Hmm, interesting.  Do you do ok with only 4 athletics?  It seems rather low!

My 1h wpf for my 18/18 build was like 75 or something.  With 6 WM that left my archery wpf at like 130 or something.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 07:28:14 pm »
Hmm, interesting.  Do you do ok with only 4 athletics?  It seems rather low!

My 1h wpf for my 18/18 build was like 75 or something.  With 6 WM that left my archery wpf at like 130 or something.
Weird. It should have been around 140 arhcery wpf with 6 WM and 75 melee according to the calculator :/

Yeah, 4 athletics isn't that great. Always drop your bow/arrows if you think you'll fight an extended time in melee. But considering the arrows slow you down a lot already, and I'm more interested in fighting than running, it works. Just don't get overly aggressive in melee. Whenever the enemy touches his S key, you should do the same. Gain enough space and take your bow out and the backpedaler should realize that holding S is not the smartest move.

Against some of the worst S-key heroes though, you can actually get your bow out, shoot and switch back to melee again. Sometimes even with a longbow (although if you're ever in doubt if you can take he shot, just switch back to melee). Weirdly enough, 90% of the guys who s-key that bad are either 2handers or glaive users.

Also: at lvl 31 you should convert attributes over to skills and get 7 athl. I just prefer to get PS over athl as I prefer to fight, rather than run, and I'm confident in my melee capabilities with 4 athl.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 07:32:24 pm »
Ok cool thanks for the advise.

Maybe you are right and I had 140 wpf.  Still, I felt a bit lacking in both accuracy AND damage.  I think this was way back before archery equipment was buffed a bit (and archery looms nerfed). Perhaps the higher wpf would help in both those departments.

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 11:16:35 pm »
If you want the shooty shooty to be better than the smashy bits you have to sacrifice accordingly. 150-160 wpf is about the minimum you need for archery to start getting you kills regularly. 10 wpf points may not seem to be much but they have a cumulative effect on damage. Wpf also seems to have a bigger impact with ranged vs melee dmg/speed.

Not much point going beyond 6pd. More wpf will be more beneficial after that. After all, pure dmg is pointless if you can't hit your target.

So sacrifice some skill pts in if/ps/ath and go 18/21 as suggested by Jarlek.

Part of it is playstyle. If you find yourself getting in melee fights often than you should just spec into a hybrid thrower :P You'll be doing more ranged and melee dmg for less skill investment. You should only be using a melee weapon to get yourself space to use your bow again or fighting off the ninjas.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 11:21:51 pm by ShinySpoons »

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 12:21:20 am »
If you want the shooty shooty to be better than the smashy bits you have to sacrifice accordingly. 150-160 wpf is about the minimum you need for archery to start getting you kills regularly. 10 wpf points may not seem to be much but they have a cumulative effect on damage. Wpf also seems to have a bigger impact with ranged vs melee dmg/speed.

Not much point going beyond 6pd. More wpf will be more beneficial after that. After all, pure dmg is pointless if you can't hit your target.

So sacrifice some skill pts in if/ps/ath and go 18/21 as suggested by Jarlek.

Part of it is playstyle. If you find yourself getting in melee fights often than you should just spec into a hybrid thrower :P You'll be doing more ranged and melee dmg for less skill investment. You should only be using a melee weapon to get yourself space to use your bow again or fighting off the ninjas.
True to some extent, but you would be surprised as to how good a 18/18 2h/archer hybrid (150/50 wpf split) can be.

Although that's as much about 2h only needing PS and not requiring wpf (and only minimal player skill) as it is about archery being OP.

Offline 14.41

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 07:16:42 am »
I did well with 27/9 using rus.Behave like a thrower and shoot in close distance.Follow your tincan teamates,shoot their opponents and the crowd.