Author Topic: difficulties with my 1h/shield char  (Read 11044 times)

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ishar_III
Re: difficulties with my 1h/shield char
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2011, 10:39:51 am »
so the build you are suggesting here would look like this?
For a strength build, that looks solid.  I'd personally go with balanced, more athletics can be quite an edge. But really, that's just personal preference.
"Also, thank you for reporting your own post." Mylet

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2011, 11:46:32 am »
@Wiglaf: You won't get 165 WPF with 5 WM anymore. I have 6 WM and only got to 154 WPF. Because of the diminishing returns, WM5 is enough, i'd say, unless you want to make a hybrid, so your build actually looks pretty good.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline krampe

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 4
  • Count Palatine of the Rhine
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pony
  • Game nicks: krampe and the moons
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2011, 02:27:37 pm »
so the build you are suggesting here would look like this?

* Shield: 5

I wouldn't do that because raising and lowering your shield depends a lot on this skill.
Okay i don't have a high level 1h/shield char yet (22) but i always favoured speed > damage
So 18/18 the way to go!
Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Yeah, well you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2011, 03:21:55 pm »
Imo, playing a strength based shielder needs IF.

It's a tad bit different now (with the lighter armour), but do you really want to sacrifice 6! skillpoints for 1 measly point in powerstrike?

The best options I can think of:
Agility build: 15/21 (or maybe even 12/24 if you're using a steel pick or warhammer. I tried it and you don't glance on plate with a steel pick and 4 PS. You just need a lot of hits to kill the dude. I'd rather not convert skillpoints with this build, as you need just about all of em. Better wait for level 31.)
Strength build: 21/15 (Like the build mentioned earlier, but with 7 IF. Since the strengthskills only require 2 skillpoints instead of the 3 for agility, it's no problem to convert 2 skillpoints into your last strength point.)
Balanced build: 18/18 (Again, I'd rather wait for level 31 to finish this build than convert skillpoints. You need em all.)

In all my builds I max out IF, PS, Ath, Shield and WM. Personally I think IF is worth the investment, but you might disagree on that.

The biggest advantage of a strength build in battles and during sieges is the little amount of hits required to kill opponents. You can run up and down a wall while slashing at stuff around you and most will drop dead in 1 or 2 hits (NCS/Steel Pick/Broad 1h battle axe). As an agility build you're much deadlier in 1v1 fights, but the problem is that you don't always have time for that and fights often get interrupted.
It's cool if you can hit 4-6 guys before going down, but if you didn't kill anyone it's a wasted effort.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Wiglaf

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2011, 04:11:01 pm »
@Wiglaf: You won't get 165 WPF with 5 WM anymore. I have 6 WM and only got to 154 WPF. Because of the diminishing returns, WM5 is enough, i'd say, unless you want to make a hybrid, so your build actually looks pretty good.
thanks for the headsup! i wish there would be full disclosure on the new formulas and an updated calculator...

I wouldn't do that because raising and lowering your shield depends a lot on this skill.
Okay i don't have a high level 1h/shield char yet (22) but i always favoured speed > damage
So 18/18 the way to go!
i currently have shield 5 and a huscarl and i rarely notice any problems with getting up the shield fast enough. Rarely...

Thanks for all the input guys! When I played after i read the first two pages of this threat i immediately noticed that i was performing better. Also when watching other shielders i noticed that they would do the exact same things (*clonck* - leftslash) as suggested here.
Another thing I saw was a guy engaging an enemy shielder with a chambered leftslash and just as he is about to lower his shield make a quick step to the left, turn a slight little bit to the right and release: voila, circumvented the shield.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2011, 04:43:21 pm »
Another thing I saw was a guy engaging an enemy shielder with a chambered leftslash and just as he is about to lower his shield make a quick step to the left, turn a slight little bit to the right and release: voila, circumvented the shield.

This usually works, as the shielder makes a left to right hit, he has to move his mouse a bit to the left. While doing so, he can't turn to the right fast enough to prevent the other guy from hitting his back.

To counter this as a shielder, just keep up the shield and facehug the guy until you hear the clank sound. You might even get behind him (or you end up with your backs against eachother). Either way, start a swing and completely turn into it if you're facing a spammer and keep shield up and turn quickly against the more skilled opponent.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ishar_III
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2011, 04:47:54 pm »
So 18/18 the way to go!
Unfortunately, only raising the shield is effected by the shield skill, lowering is not.
"Also, thank you for reporting your own post." Mylet

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2011, 05:11:16 pm »
I have 15 agi, and I have 147 wpf, that enough

21 str and 15 agi build is a good build in my opinion since 150 is the new 200 wpf pre patch

Just a soldier

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2011, 05:24:52 pm »
Yeah I already regret going 18/18...oh well, level 31 will surely come some day.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Engine

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2011, 08:26:21 pm »
I'm sticking with 15/24, maxing out Athletics, WM, and Shield whenever I can. Also Riding, but that's just me.

Though I am sorely tempted to try 18 str on the next retirement. I feel like I shouldn't have to hit someone twice with a military pick. ;)

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2011, 01:01:41 am »
Something wrong with wpf? Allers has an all str build and has 100 wpf in 2h. Is this correct? I believe when reset happened I had a lot of wpf also :/
Just a soldier

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2011, 01:18:32 am »
With all the tips in this thread you should be well on your way. And it was helpful to me aswell  :twisted:

Offline balbaroth

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2011, 01:19:12 am »
Something wrong with wpf? Allers has an all str build and has 100 wpf in 2h. Is this correct? I believe when reset happened I had a lot of wpf also :/

that is correct  , from 1 to 100 it doesnt take much weaponmaster   with the latest patch , as i mentionned earlier this patch made the str builds kings :D

Offline magog_III

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2011, 02:07:13 am »
end of the age for 1h and cavs...archers rise up again....

Offline Toldfield

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • If the toaster crawls, Cover your shoe in cyanide
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2011, 09:14:58 pm »
With all the tips in this thread you should be well on your way. And it was helpful to me aswell  :twisted:
Which is why I will destroy it.

Though I am sorely tempted to try 18 str on the next retirement. I feel like I shouldn't have to hit someone twice with a military pick
No questions from you, but I don't get lots of love either that is from others NO don't even think about it okay and don't play dumb with me.

Unfortunately, only raising the shield is effected by the shield skill, lowering is not.
You are not human but you learn and think(sorta) like one.

The biggest advantage of a strength build in battles and during sieges is the little amount of hits required to kill opponents. You can run up and down a wall while slashing at stuff around you and most will drop dead in 1 or 2 hits (NCS/Steel Pick/Broad 1h battle axe). As an agility build you're much deadlier in 1v1 fights, but the problem is that you don't always have time for that and fights often get interrupted.
It's cool if you can hit 4-6 guys before going down, but if you didn't kill anyone it's a wasted effort.
No answering question with a question, what is the sound of one hand clapping?

If fighting an agi spamming 2hander you need to do more then turn your body into the swing, cause he's doing the same thing. You must physically move ,as in, CIRCLE him as you swing. My 1hander uses a huscarl and a nordic champions, I only recently got 15 agi. I am not able to return every attack, instead I wait for a pause in his atk pattern or when I am in a better position to strike.
I wouldn't say a puppet, most people, do the same thing. They are only able to repeat information, they can't really understand it.
People who think differently will survive. People who think by the book would get crushed, killed, and stepped upon.