Author Topic: Attack control by inverse mouse movement  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2947
  • Infamy: 1270
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Attack control by inverse mouse movement
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 03:35:26 pm »
+3
I would try to get used to it if it was a norm in games. Since it isn't, I don't want to fuck up myself for every other game I try. Seems to give certain advantage, but I'll have to live without that for the sake of other games I play.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 04:11:42 pm »
+2
I would try to get used to it if it was a norm in games. Since it isn't, I don't want to fuck up myself for every other game I try. Seems to give certain advantage, but I'll have to live without that for the sake of other games I play.

Um? But this is not about "inverted axis x/y", but only inverted attack controls :P I doubt it has any influence on other games :P And as I don't play in other games I don't need to worry about it anyway  :wink:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 04:13:45 pm »
+1
Macropus, or maybe some other 1hander, do you have any problems with using left swing?
No, I'm not even sure what seems to be the problem with the left swing.
Maybe you try to circle your opponent from the right side while spamming leftswing feints? Then it sure would be difficult to do, but try circling them from the left instead, since you use inverted attacks I guess you should invert some of your movements as well to make it comfortable for yourself.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1085
  • Infamy: 2643
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 07:15:39 pm »
+2
Um? But this is not about "inverted axis x/y", but only inverted attack controls :P I doubt it has any influence on other games :P And as I don't play in other games I don't need to worry about it anyway  :wink:

It seems I've been doing the wrong thing... thanks, Falka :)

Tried it a bit and I must agree that it is indeed more natural way of attacking and it's fairly easy to get used to it but... I can't play like that. It has one huge downside that matters to me a lot. If you play with inverted controls stab is performed with mouse up which makes perfect sense, only problem is that I can't do my thing if I stab with moving mouse upwards. Going backwards (backpedaling) and stabbing upwards fucks up my mind and can't perform it well enough. Could get used to it to a degree but getting to the point to successfully outreach good cav is almost impossible.

In other words, I will have to stick to default way of attacking because being able to dehorse cav is my specialty and I'm not willing to give that away for better close combat performance. You get some, you lose some. It's not exactly an advantage, because it has it's downsides as well.

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 08:17:05 pm »
+1
This shit is awesome,shame that i didn't discovered this earlier,so cool.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 06:22:56 pm »
+1
Ignoring all of the other pros/cons of inverted, the main reason to do it is that it makes turning into your swings much easier and more fluid. People with non-inverted controls always slighty turn away from their swing before they turn into it, which makes the swing take long to land and alerts to their swing direction earlier (giving their opponent more time to react).

With 1h at least, inverted is much more intuitive for landing thrusts; you just move the mouse forward and to the left to thrust and drag the hitbox past your enemy's face (for a right handed person, this is the most natural of all mouse movements).

1h cav is impossible with inverted though, and "inside out" attacks are very difficult (i.e. swing left-to-right while turning right-to-left).

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 03:25:38 pm »
+1
I use it since two years or so, and it has fucked uo my left 1h swing a bit, especially in clusterfucks.
For me stabs have felt a bit easier to land with the normal attack direction, so i have switched more to overheads.
A other problem for me is that i cycle more clockwise so i open my right side, where the shield protection is quite random.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 12:31:54 pm »
+1
It only fucks people up as long as you are yourself not used to it. I used inverse ever since I completed the Native tutorial personally and I don't think people notice. It instantly found it much more intuitive, as your mouse movement mimicks what your character does just like when you block with normal mouse direction. Anyway this has the potential problem of making your moves a little bit predictable when you attack as soon as you block. It makes mirroring the attack you just blocked really natural because you only have to move the mouse back and forth in one smooth movement and you have to think about this in order not to always do it.

1h cav is impossible with inverted though, and "inside out" attacks are very difficult (i.e. swing left-to-right while turning right-to-left).

What ?

I played 1h cav with inverted attacks for years, there's nothing difficult with doing whatever strike you please

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 12:48:22 pm »
+1
For me it was more intuitive and also easier to get the speed bonus "moving with the strike direction".
I am using "inverted" for over 2 years now and it took about 2-3 weeks back then to readjust.
I never thought so much about how the enemy would percieve it though, independent of game, my philosophy is you need to find a system which works for yourself best. If then at the same it would hinder/disturb/suprise the enemy then that is a slight bonus, which but most enemies will learn to overcome with time.

I guess the longer you played in a certain way it may take you a bit longer then to relearn ... muscle memory and so on. Aslong you but feel more comfortable with the new movement patterns it is worth it.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 08:20:46 pm »
much more intuitive, as your mouse movement mimicks what your character does

Well, when you make a left swing, first you move hand to the left and then to the right, so "normal" mouse movement harmonize with animation :P But ofc it makes swings slower. Inverted mouse movements seem much faster, thanks to that it's easier for me to break someones block and land a hit. That's why in duel inverted settings are much better according to me - even though I still mess up attack directions and even my blocks got fucked up cause of different moves. In battle - I'm not so sure.

I'm not even sure what seems to be the problem with the left swing.
Maybe you try to circle your opponent from the right side while spamming leftswing feints? Then it sure would be difficult to do

That's the problem, with inverted movements to make a left swing I have to turn to the right - away from my opponent when he's on my left and I want him to be there :P Because of that quite often I miss cause I'm too far away from enemy. WIth normal movements I turn left and face my enemy, perfect situation.

"inside out" attacks are very difficult (i.e. swing left-to-right while turning right-to-left).

Yup  :(

All in all, for me inverted mouse movements means better right swing and stab, worse left swing and overhead. Better for duels, worse for group fights.

Maybe I'd say it's not worth to spend a few weeks trying to relearn everything, but as I got bored a bit with my gay playstyle  I'll stick with this inverted thing.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:26:01 pm by Falka »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 08:28:36 pm »
+2
Do what you're comfortable with. If you're really curious, try it out and decide if it's worth switching. I tried it for a very short while and decided that normal is a better fit for me. I don't feel like I'm missing anything not playing inverted, too. There are still some things that you can only easily perform with normal and I don't feel that normal is disadvantageous.