Author Topic: How to fix strat  (Read 535 times)

Offline Built

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • I guess P.T. Barnum was right
    • View Profile
  • Faction: DWARVES
  • Game nicks: Radsvid, Eirik, Angry something
  • IRC nick: Built
How to fix strat
« on: October 03, 2013, 06:43:00 am »
+5
HEY YOU THERE, ADMINS, DEVS, GOBLYNS, AND NORMAL PEOPLE:

I came to a wonderful plan to fix the [retardation] issue with the everyone having giant garrisons and armies of like over 10,000 men.

Remember in Native
How your troops would like...leave...if you didnt feed them?
Yeah

IMPLEMENT A FOOD SYSTEM

Maybe make those goods useful or something, have to have food or men leave as well...

Just an Idea
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Also, James, you were legitimately mad at a rhyming dwarf on the internet.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
Re: How to fix strat
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 12:11:12 pm »
I'm afraid this sort of thing is actually already taken in charge.

If your army is superior than 300 men, you'll have to pay them (sort of upkeep, representing food consumption and salary).
Garrisons have it easier, since they're not moving, so they don't need as much pay, since they're not working.

What's wrong with fielding huge armies ?
I'm more astonished by the fact every warring army has full heirloomed plated armor for all melee players. There's just no diversity in strat battle equipments, if you can afford the cost.

Can't wait for a couple more theme strategus battles, thoses were really way more enjoyable.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 05:59:31 pm »
HEY YOU THERE, ADMINS, DEVS, GOBLYNS, AND NORMAL PEOPLE:

I came to a wonderful plan to fix the [retardation] issue with the everyone having giant garrisons and armies of like over 10,000 men.

Remember in Native
How your troops would like...leave...if you didnt feed them?
Yeah

IMPLEMENT A FOOD SYSTEM

Maybe make those goods useful or something, have to have food or men leave as well...

Just an Idea

I think it's a good idea.  Would be nice to either be able to buy food somehow (which I'm not necessarily a huge fan of) or force PP to be spent on food, which can be allocated to be used at other fiefs

Made a suggestion like this not too long ago, but I highly doubt things like this will ever be implemented...still nice to dream.

http://forum.melee.org/strategus-general-discussion/suggestion-create-%27food-stores%27-that-control-how-large-a-garrison-can-be/

I liked Tomas' suggestion in that thread:

If we are going down the food root then it needs to be simple and not increase micromanagement.

Easiest way I can think of is..
- Every village is linked to a specific Castle or Town
- Every village has a "supply castle/town" button
- So long as that button is turned on then you can stack whatever you want in the Castle/Town
- If no village is supplying a castle/town though, then any troops inside will begin to starve after 1 week at a rate of 0.5% per hour
- Castles/Towns without any supply from a village also can't buy/sell equipment or goods and they don't gain PP

PROs
- villages are important again so no running away and hiding in Town's Castles forever
- Factions can still use fiefs as troop stockpiles to help[ with management
- You can secure food either by conquest or diplomacy

CONs
- It doesn't prevent troop stacking in villages but i can't decide if that matters or not

IF avoiding the food root then Corsair's idea is ok so long as it is a faction limit and is per "player with ticks".  So having an inactive player in your faction makes no difference to your troop cap.

Basically the whole reason why I brought this up, is because it would then allow you to effectively besiege a castle or city (like happened a lot in real life).  Instead of being forced to assault their strong hold, you just starve them out over time.  This would make villages much more important than they are currently (maybe food is much cheaper at villages than a city or castle, or maybe it's the only place you can get enough food to support garrisons (on top of population)). 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:13:10 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 07:18:36 pm »
+2
Why not food and silver plateau depending on fiefs / size of armies ?

Atm we have pockets that can have a billion silver pieces inside, and men that can transport as many crates as they want (slow them down, but still inhuman strength).

If you had transport capacity for every resources wherever they are stored, you could not have a near infinite amount of them.

Offline Le_Mikz

• Knight
  • Renown: 58
  • Infamy: 20
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: LeMikz
  • IRC nick: LeMikz
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 09:01:28 pm »
Why not food and silver plateau depending on fiefs / size of armies ?

Atm we have pockets that can have a billion silver pieces inside, and men that can transport as many crates as they want (slow them down, but still inhuman strength).

If you had transport capacity for every resources wherever they are stored, you could not have a near infinite amount of them.

Just make us able to make "sally out" battles, when knudarr has 22k troops, attacker "provokes" us to sally out. And we need to defend castle for example with 1500 troops (can put also 2k, up to owner). And in that "sally out" fight castle guys are defenders. So on this way strong attacker can bleed down defenders tickets.

On this way we dont need to do other changes. Attacker can choose Siege/Raid/Sally out(or whatever)