Author Topic: Crossbow heirlooming.  (Read 12313 times)

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
Re: Crossbow heirlooming.
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 12:38:17 pm »
lets make anty xbow warrrrrrrrrrr

but yea.... we need balance
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 01:12:06 pm »
100 damage who can survive that????? 

A lot of people. + you need to heirloom 6 times, that's impossible for new players, so...

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 02:09:43 pm »
Loom your plate of choice 3 times, loom your gauntlet of choice 3 times. Enjoy your 75-86 body armor.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 02:15:08 pm »
100p final tier arbalest+steel bolt against a 60 body armor(vest+gauntlets) target, body hit at POINT BLANK, stationary target:

minimum damage: 34
average damage: 49
maximum damage: 68

hp of a 18 str, 4 IF guy: 61

Due increased air friction compared to Native these damages are lowered significantly at distance, especially against high armor.

Seems ok.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 02:17:29 pm by Paul »

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 02:17:55 pm »
100p final tier arbalest+steel bolt against a 60 body armor(vest+gauntlets) target, body hit at POINT BLANK, stationary target:

minimum damage: 34
average damage: 49
maximum damage: 68

hp of a level 30, 18 str, 4 IF guy: 61

Due increased air friction compared to Native these damages are lowered significantly at distance, especially against high armor.

Seems ok.

Thank you Paul, you've just rescued cRPG from losing all dedicated crossbowmen AND showed why we are NOT 1hitting people. I'd add speed bonus of character you aim at to your calculations and the max dmg will be less than 60 if character is backpeddaling.

Be proud!

Offline bredeus

• Earl
  • Renown: 392
  • Infamy: 85
  • there must be Peace
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templars since 1096 AD
  • Game nicks: Templar_Brede
  • IRC nick: Brede
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 02:21:32 pm »
Agreed with the fact that heirlooming crossbows has more sense now than any other stuff.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 02:55:52 pm »
Add speed bonus of people moving towards you = 1 shot.
Turtles

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 03:17:50 pm »
xbows cost any skill points? Bows need like 7pd to deal crazy damg like your xbow
do you even need wpf to use it at all? bows need like 100wpf+ to even get ok aim... your xbow has better aim at 0wpf then my long bow at 126wpf....

its is op because anyone can pick it up and 1 shot people... Great range weapon for no trade off...

Your valid points are totally overshadowed by your blatant exaggerations. NO xbow at 0 wpf has better accuracy than a bow at 126 , even with the bare minimum power draw for that bow, stop acting like it does. And to get anywhere near 1-shotting people consistently you need AT LEAST 100+ WPF in the sniper bow to pull that off. Even then it's not guaranteed. And you can totally forget about 1 shotting anything moving or stationary if it's raining(Which it is a good portion of the time) Even with the masterworked arbalest and bolts, in most cases, if I miss on a character, i'm usually only going to get one shot off. There are some valid points to be made against the new heirloomed stats of crossbows, but saying that they are an "automatic 1 shot kill" isn't one of those points. Also, masterworking a defensive item such as body armor or gloves will pretty much offset the masterwork damage you get from the offensive items, in this case, the masterworked arbalest.(This is even considering that  the battle conditions are ideal for the crossbow.)

Lets also keep in mind that in the best case scenario you'll have 13 shots if you're using the arbalest or the heavy. Unless you're just running around shotgunning people(which in itself is very risky), you're going to miss at least a few times.(I usually miss my first 2 or 3 shots.) Also, if said sniper/heavy user gets surprised or flanked, all they have to defend themselves now is a little one handed sword.I'll tell you right now that for most, that's not going to be enough. The bows that really benefit from this are the Lower end ones. The regular crossbow at masterwork level is better than the regular heavy in nearly every way, god forbid they have masterworked steel bolts.(potentially 26 of them if they still use a 1 hander.) The mid tier crossbow buff is what worries me a bit. Those are still VERY flavor of the month friendly.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 03:36:16 pm by Darkkarma »
This community hurts my brains, a lot.

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 03:18:21 pm »
If you listen to yourselves calling for nerfs on the crossbow, you sound just like the other who call for nerf, with the exception of a few good arguments. The arbalest is indeed a good weapon. When masterworked the upkeep is nearly as much as a horse. Of course the damage means you can shoot stuff do a lot of damage. It is good for 1 shotting lightly armoured people coming towards you, or horses. But, when you reload you are vulnerable. And isn't the arbalest still less "accurate" than the other crossbows too?

Edit: in a one on one situation in the open, I would put money on level 31 dedicated archer beating a level 31 dedicated crossbowman of equal skill.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 03:19:57 pm by Tomas_of_Miles »
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 03:24:34 pm »
If you listen to yourselves calling for nerfs on the crossbow, you sound just like the other who call for nerf, with the exception of a few good arguments. The arbalest is indeed a good weapon. When masterworked the upkeep is nearly as much as a horse. Of course the damage means you can shoot stuff do a lot of damage. It is good for 1 shotting lightly armoured people coming towards you, or horses. But, when you reload you are vulnerable. And isn't the arbalest still less "accurate" than the other crossbows too?

Edit: in a one on one situation in the open, I would put money on level 31 dedicated archer beating a level 31 dedicated crossbowman of equal skill.

Yes, the reticule is larger than the others at the same WPF. The bolt will go straighter and fly farther, but there is more wiggle room. It also calls for a steeper WPF requirement to close the reticule. For example, 70 WPF in a light crossbow may be enough, but it's nowhere near enough for the arbalest if you expect to be decent in any way.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 03:40:04 pm by Darkkarma »
This community hurts my brains, a lot.

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 03:27:24 pm »
If anyone has played WFaS, using an arbalest with no wpf is comparable to using musket that reloads quicker, needs more trajectory adjustment, and does less damage (due to lower average armour in WFaS).

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 03:33:14 pm »
xbow is bullshit its amazing everything gets nerfed except that friggen no skiller weapon
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 03:37:46 pm »
xbow is bullshit its amazing everything gets nerfed except that friggen no skiller weapon
It takes a different skill. Slower than the bow, you can't afford to spam higher tier crossbows (you can spam the light and hunting with wpf but hey who uses those?  :wink:). Also, I doubt you've been playing as a crossbowman recently Tzar. Hitboxes seem to be quite different and this hasn't favoured ranged combat at all. I don't think the crossbow heirlooms should have been buffed. But I definitely don't think they should be nerfed. They do need dedication, or good risk assessment with no wpf.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 03:50:01 pm »
Add speed bonus of people moving towards you = 1 shot.

Actually the damage bonus from target movement speed is rather low compared to weapons with lower projectile speed. Reason for that is that the bonus is calculated based on which percentage the movement speed has compared with the shot speed. For a high shot speed weapon like a sniper crossbow the possible movement speeds are small and thus the bonus damage is small too. Throwing weapons profits the most if the target is running into the shot because of their low projectile velocities.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 03:52:14 pm by Paul »

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 04:28:32 pm »

... you've ever been a dedicated crossbowman? I doubt it.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.