Author Topic: GTA 5 Torture Mission (debate inside and no big spoilers hopefully)  (Read 4461 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: GTA 5 Torture Mission (debate inside and no big spoilers hopefully)
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2013, 02:03:32 am »
+4
What is so trivial about a satire that hundreds of thousands of people are playing through right now? It sounds stupid as shit, but this is history just as much as whats actually going on outside of our comfy rooms right now.

I flipped on the news today, and I heard a story about two girls being strangled to death in the town adjacent to mine. I watched soldiers rush into some building in Kenya to try and halt a terrorist attack.

You're not going to remember that. However, a couple of years from now you are going to recall that torture scene from that silly game you played. It made you actually think for a second. You're going to remember this huge ASS PRINCE wagging his finger at you like some self-righteous man on a mission over a forum.

Rockstar actually has a chance to make a big impact on modern history here with this.
History is history because we remember it in the first place.
We remember WW2 and the holocaust because some dickhead teacher forced it into our heads, because they wanted to see a better world tomorrow.
If you remember that torture scene in GTA that could have made you actually feel something because I made you read a ten paragraph post, because I'm an incessant asshole, then my job is done.
If you don't, then oh well. You are trivial. Someone else will. Someone that played Rockstar's game will inevitably be put in a similar position over another human being, and just maybe, they will show some compassion because of it. That my friend, is history.

That's why I want people to actually read my "stupid fucking post" instead of scrolling to the bottom and dismissing it because they can't hold their eyes on the screen for something with the potential to change their life.
tl;dr

Edit: I actually went back and read the original post and I really hope you're trolling Deltah because I haven't read anything as pretentious and wannabe Deep in forever. I imagine a twelve-year old might think you were saying things of Wisdom... maybe.

ahahahhahbsdAHaHAH saying your post has the "potential to change someone's life" is just fucking hilarious.

Someone thinks a bit too highly of themselves.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 02:24:57 am by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2013, 02:29:02 am »
+2
ahahahhahbsdAHaHAH

xant had an orgasm
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2013, 02:36:12 am »
+1
xant had an orgasm
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2013, 03:19:24 am »
+3
When I get to play it I'm gonna enjoy it, just like I enjoyed shooting all those innocent people in that CoD intro.

Lol, I forgot about that one. Man that was funny when it hit media.
Pock gobblers

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2013, 09:38:04 am »

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2013, 10:45:48 am »
+2
***SPOILER ALERT***

I enjoyed playing the torture scene and found it humorous.

I pulled the guys tooth first and for the rest of the scene he was struggling to talk and speak while being threatened with more torture if he didn't speak.  :lol:

I don't see there being much difference than seeing torture in fictional film or even reading it in a fictional book. Fiction is fiction, I find it quite easy to discern fiction from reality, even when I have to choose the torture method and then press "R2", it really makes no difference... it's all storytelling in the end.

I found it quite disappointing when trevor let the guy go at the airport... I thought he was gonna bring him up in a helicopter and then throw him out kinda like that scene in Scarface. (though I think they hanged dood from helicopter in scarface, can't remember its been a while.)

I honestly think games like GTA V can release pent up aggression and diminish chances of violent behavior more than it causes it. It should be used in therapy for people with road rage issues... Let all that pent up aggression out in a virtual world, so you don't run someone off the road when they cut you off in the real world.  :mrgreen:

If there was any merit that people play out their actions in GTA V like violence and aggression, then wouldn't it also be true that it causes us to drive recklessly, pedal to the metal, and running red lights wherever we go? Wouldn't it cause some people to drive their car full speed when they randomly see an incline that could possibly double as a car ramp/jump that will bring them more airborne than Evil Kenival? There just doesn't seem to be any increase in any of that, violence or bad driving.

More likely to gain a few pounds playing GTA 5 than to become violent/aggressive from playing it.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2013, 11:19:16 am »
(click to show/hide)
I think he is high or something. This is the type of bullcrap id imagine myself writing, when im on crack(acid/weed/mushrooms/???) and decide to go all deep and sophisticated.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2013, 11:28:15 am »
+4
Wall is a wall but it... it doesn't know it's a wall, you know ? Whoah man. A wall... a wall doesn't think about being a wall, it just IS. Whoah... just whoah man, you know ?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2013, 03:02:18 pm »
+1
Stop it guys, he's doing us intellectual peasants a favor by trying to edumacate us
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2013, 09:48:54 pm »
+2
..."Other Games > GTA V"...

The first agreeable statement I've read about GTA V.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2013, 01:54:51 am »
+1
honestly i've been shocked more by this

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

staying on topic, if you watch the scene you realize it's just satire/critique (come on the way they act after the torture lol) though i think they could have avoided it

Offline Deltah

• Count
  • Renown: 236
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player
  • Good pumpernickel is so hard to come by.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul, Dracul, Dracul, Dracul, Dracul, Dracul,
  • Game nicks: Dracul_Deltah_The_ASS_PRINCE, Hemorrhoid_Hero
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2013, 05:58:21 am »
Hey, that Deltah guy took the moral highground and actually has a passion for the topic at hand. Let's all chastise him for it because it's easier to do than trying to represent a reasonable counter argument.
Quickly, rally under me and show off just how well we fit the stereotype of the subhuman parasite that is the typical internet denizen. While we're at it, let's attempt to dispel his ideology with low caliber sarcasm and mockery.
I'm guessing next you're going to resort to calling me "and inbred troll" or making a comment about my fiery emotional attachment to the topic?
I'm used to dealing with morons here. However, I don't think I'll ever get used to this sort of pseudo-intellectualism that people like you spout when they are simply too stubborn to accept someone else riding the high-horse in town. It really torments the soul.

Bring me that ASS.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2013, 06:12:42 am »
+3
I hate to break it to you, but souls don't exist.

GTA is a satire. However outlandish the game seems to be, it parodies and depicts modern society with reasonable accuracy.
No; it was and has always been made tongue-in-cheek, but it isn't satire. It's just a video game, like cmp says. The developers aren't making the GTA games as political commentary. Just because it contains humor does not make it "a satire."

People with wisdom and empathy(let's just pretend the crpg community has some for a second) will see its correlations to real life.
A cute attempt at poisoning-the-well, but fortunately it's utterly irrelevant here: yes, everyone can see what the game is poking fun at, that is the point. If it was poking fun at something nobody understood, it wouldn't be funny.

Believe it or not, Rockstar actually wants us to be human beings and try to make change and reason with this fucked up world we live in.
And how do you know this? How do you know what their real motives are? Maybe the mission designer was high and thought it'd be funny.

I hate to sound like some hippy/conspiracy theorist/hipster my old friend but with the way that we currently let the media scare us, social networking prostitute our social beings, and the massive amount of senseless and unjust violence in our culture desensitize us, we are becoming more and more like these characters in this game that we laugh at.
"Prostitute our social beings"? Utter bullshit. Taboo the words "prositute", "social" and "beings" and try again. You can't replace those words with synonyms, either. I think you'll find that it sounds a lot less dramatic once you replace the symbol with the substance.

As for massive amount of senseless and unjust violence in our culture, which century do you live in? Things have never been as good as they are now and most (Western) people never have to come face to face with violence. You might be becoming more and more like these characters in GTA V that we laugh at, but humanity as a whole is fast moving in another direction. Never before in history has there been so much global altruism.

You turn on any news channel and here is what you get: " terrible accident/terrorist attack/school shooting/international genocide" What do I do? Probably the same as you. Laugh at it and switch channels.
You need to learn to distinguish between "X is happening more" and "X is being reported more." Violence is not on the rise, on the contrary, but as a headline it sells.

Oh look it's kim kardashian and her huge butt. Man I would like to tap that. You know, I could probably get more ass if I worked out more and went to the gym or bought the supplement they are advertising on this commercial.(no that's not actually what you or I are thinking. But it's what they want us to think, because it will make them money.)
Your sexual fantasies about Kim Kardashian don't seem to have any relevance to this conversation. And if there is a grand conspiracy to get more people to go to the gym, well, good. Of course there isn't one, but it's amusing you should use that as an example. New news: businesses are out to make money and advertising is to help them advertise their product. Alas, there is no Kim Kardashian gym-and-supplements conspiracy. It's, to put it mildly, far-fetched to assume that Kim Kardashian's butt on the TV is to make you buy a specific supplement to get more ass, unless it's an ad. And if it is, then well, that's what ads are and I'm not sure what the epiphany here is supposed to be.

All of this shit, when drawn out into the open, is really fucked up.
Nope, nothing fucked up so far...

What's worse, hundreds of children starving and getting forced into child soldiering and murdered senselessly, or the millions of people that watch it and are not just apathetic, they laugh at it.
Uh-huh. And what are you doing about it? I love the hypocrisy. Solving an issue like children being forced to become soldiers is far from simple... what do you suggest these millions of Average Joes and Janes do about it? Grab their guns and kill the child soldiers to get to the ones pulling the strings to help the child soldiers?

We come on here and we make "memes" and jokes and we laugh our asses off at how fucked up the media is.
Yeah, deity forbid we have fun.

We play crpg, which is at the end of the day just a medieval murder simulator. "oh but we have objectives and things to strive for" Yeah, like killing as many fucktards as we can so our team can win and get that "x5." And for what? So we can get more gold and xp. So I can buy myself plate and a large two handed sword. So I can make my guy swing harder to kill you quicker so I can move onto the next unlucky son of a bitch who happens to cross me. So I can make my team win.
So I can get an x5. See where this is going?
Um, it's a video game, not a murder simulator. Nobody really dies. This paragraph is the silliest one yet. You're trying too hard and it's making you look bad. Also a straw man: no one aside from you would go through that particular chain of logic. Nobody here thinks x5 has any intrinsic value. Except you, that is.

You enjoy beating that guy who killed you last round. You enjoy having a high score so you can gloat about it later. You enjoy watching your enemies crumble before you.
Sadly, it's human nature.
Yes, competitiveness is in human nature. Nothing sad about it.

We are all so fucked up and we will never do anything about it. We could. But we choose not to. It's easier, and if you did, it wouldn't make a difference anyway so why try?
No, we aren't all so fucked up.

Let's say you live in or near a major city. Chances are, there is more than one guy within a handful of miles being shot or stabbed.
You actually don't care. No matter how much you wish you did, you don't.
A lot of people actually do care. But the rational thing to do is not to care, if you can't do anything about it. Being depressed doesn't help anyone.

Our faces are our best masks. We express all of this bullshit about how we care. We don't.
Our masks are our best masks, actually. And I was thinking about marking your post with "[citation needed]" as necessary but I realized it'd be more economical to just say [citation needed] instead of marking every other sentence with it. So here it is: [citation needed]. The amount of arguments-by-assertion you make is out of this world and all your arguments are based on previous arguments-by-assertion. Known also as begging the question fallacy.

I for one actually dress up in color coordinated jogging clothes with a facemask and carry around multiple weapons on me. I patrol my streets.
No matter how hard I try to be some comic book vigilante hero, or even just that sweetheart who holds the door open for you, I honestly don't care. I don't know why I do it. I could stab you in an alleyway just as easily, and it would benefit me more.
Um... okay... well.. there ought to be some psychiatrists near you that can help you with your issue(s)....

You can play a thousand games about saving the world from aliens and evil men.(anders come join my anti-alien militia irl) You can kill millions of people and creatures. That's okay. They were bad. They would do it to you and worse, in a heartbeat.
No, they weren't bad and they wouldn't have done it to me. It's a video game. They don't exist. Repeat after me: they don't exist.

But the second we are put on the other end of what we personally view as right, when we cross that microscopically thin and transparent line, then all of a sudden there is outrage.
What you are essentially saying is: we think something that isn't right is wrong. How outrageous.

We remember WW2 and the holocaust because some dickhead teacher forced it into our heads, because they wanted to see a better world tomorrow.
This is actually a perfect example of the sort of mistake you make all the time. That "dickhead teacher" is teaching you about the holocaust because that's his job and it's what he's paid to do. Rockstar is making games because that's what they're paid to do, and black humor has worked well for them in the past. Not because they are trying to "better the world."

You seem to have a very hard time separating fact from fiction, reality from fantasy. In addition to that, it's clear that your empathy isn't functioning properly.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 07:26:48 am by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2013, 09:35:14 am »
I think Deltah speaks with his feels rather than his brain

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2013, 10:23:47 am »

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die