Author Topic: Map Changing in NA1.  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Warborn304

• Count
  • Renown: 268
  • Infamy: 139
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Saint_George_Zimmerman
Re: Map Changing in NA1.
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 07:07:50 pm »
+1

Was this the specific instance to which you were referring? It took place on 8/19 of this year, and the only reason I have a screenshot of it in the first place is because this particular admin decided to do it twice in a row. After changing the map to arena (no poll) and letting it play out, he changed the map back to arena again the round after that before leaving.

Other things worth noting:
1.) As you can see from the screenshot, at least one person is actively objecting to his decision of changing the map in chat.
2.) At the time, this admin was, if my memory serves me correctly, playing heavy cavalry (Green Corazina Armor, Cataphract Horse, Sugarloaf Helmet etc) and probably benefited considerably in terms of score from the map change. 
3.) This particular admin has a penchant for using admin chat for non-admin related business. If you have a reason or opportunity to go back and check the logs relating to this incident, you will likely see at least one or two instances of it in this case alone.

The reason why I am posting this is not because I have any grudge against this particular admin and want to see his powers removed or something dumb like that; on the contrary, I think that having more people available to deal with delayers and imbeciles doing stupid things instead of actually playing the game is a good thing. I merely feel the same way as Leman, in that I would just like to see certain admins limit their actions to their responsibilities and those alone.

If only a couple of people object to a map does that mean that it shouldnt happen? There is plenty of shit-tacular maps in rotation now that the majority of people complain about...

and as for the admin being able to use the map to their advantage, I'm sure there were a bunch of people that could use that map to their advantage as well. so that doesn't really hold its weight for anything. I could argue since it was a close quarters combat scenario that the chances of that cav being fucked is even higher.... If I knew arena was coming up id grab 4 MW throwing lances, instead of my standard shit...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 07:20:58 pm »
+1

If only a couple of people object to a map does that mean that it shouldnt happen? There is plenty of shit-tacular maps in rotation now that the majority of people complain about...

If it's via MAP POLL sure. But if it's just cause, then no.

Offline Ellie

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • It's a traaaaaap
    • View Profile
  • Faction: DLB
  • Game nicks: DLB_Ellie, Ellietrap, Ellie_Rocks_Your_World
  • IRC nick: Ellietrap
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 07:30:13 pm »
+1
But... Arena is best map. At least it's better than some of the horrible maps like the one with the hill that has 4 exits and floors that people glitch under and hide in.
Nerf everything. Buff naked fist fights.

Offline DreadCrusader

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 07:54:07 pm »
My HA supports this thread, cause they always seem to do it on a random steepe map.

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 11:52:40 pm »
rofl. Tanken, You're wrong by about 3000-5000 miles. You should take the time to actually figure out the right persons name before throwing out accusations.

Side thought: The only map worth changing is the one where both teams spawn in the same place.

Oh, it's Ganner. That's the name, sorry. But still fairly close considering Ganner and Garrison both start with Ga just like the word Gay, and Gurnisson, well, the name comes to mind because I see him on the forums all the time. MY BAD. FORGIVE ME.

The what now? If there are any very old maps or maps outside the community or any other maps that you think are good but have been forgotten, find a download link and submit them here http://forum.melee.org/scene-editing/battle-map-submissions-for-official-servers-2-0/

I don't remember what it's called, could have been an ATS map. But I can describe it. Big fort in the middle of this large map of snow/ice (very blue appearing) One side gets to the fort by crossing a wrecked ship, the other must go through a large moat of water to reach the fort. It's a pretty sweet map, fairly flat in most places, but it's nice because cav for the most part is secluded from the middle area, giving the infantry and range that area to fight (primarily) and the cav mainly run the outskirts of the map.

We always referred to it as the Blue Cake map, so hopefully this rings a bell and someone can remember what the name of it was.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 11:56:02 pm by Tank Burner »
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

Offline Kelugarn

• Marshall
  • Renown: 936
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • #̪͎̳̭̰͓͙ͯ͗̇͘ͅͅ1̢ͨ̈̆̓ͮ͐̌͏̪̦͓̣ ̽̇ͫ҉̸͕̻͙͖̮̹ͅN̡̥̭͖͙ͮ͊͡
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Froyo The Wizard
  • IRC nick: #FreeArys2012
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 09:10:22 am »
What? Blue Icee castle was still on the server somewhere? I thought it was removed over a year ago.

Offline Armycook_of_KSantiago

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • No mercy! No retreat! No remorse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 09:47:59 am »
+1
What? Blue Icee castle was still on the server somewhere? I thought it was removed over a year ago.

It is not... Mr.Tanken is hoping to bring it back.
Although i personally loves the bar fight map...
Dinner is served!
(click to show/hide)

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2013, 10:15:08 am »
+1
Yes, I know that some people like arena and that is fine.  Have it added to the server rotation and then we can play it when it pops up.

I have no idea why this hasn't been the case for months. Years even(?). When admins ask the server "what map should I change this to" the answer is arena 99% of the time. Maybe it's a fun map. Maybe players in the middle of a round don't have time to think and they just ask to change it to the last map they can remember an admin changing to. It's a vicious cycle.

Although i personally loves the bar fight map...

I think that one is "The Burning Witch" and I love it to death. Small two-floor tavern that's similar to the inns you find in singleplayer M&B. I don't think it should be in standard rotation though. A full server would make that map a mess.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2013, 01:31:10 pm »
I don't remember what it's called, could have been an ATS map. But I can describe it. Big fort in the middle of this large map of snow/ice (very blue appearing) One side gets to the fort by crossing a wrecked ship, the other must go through a large moat of water to reach the fort. It's a pretty sweet map, fairly flat in most places, but it's nice because cav for the most part is secluded from the middle area, giving the infantry and range that area to fight (primarily) and the cav mainly run the outskirts of the map.

We always referred to it as the Blue Cake map, so hopefully this rings a bell and someone can remember what the name of it was.
I know which map you mean now, but I do not just need a name, I need a download link to actually be able to review and perhaps implement the map. Knowing the name might allow you to find it, but with a small game like Warband that might still prove difficult. So if you really want a map you are going to have to find the download link yourself. Now that we are talking about ATS maps, I believe they had a fairly large map pack which contained a lot of horrible maps, but also a bunch of good ones, of which some are on the server. I thought they also modified the Native maps to make them better for cRPG and I have been looking for that version of Port Assault with an extra route on the side, which might have been theirs. If someone is able to find a download link for the ATS Map Pack or contact info of someone that could have, please PM me. I'll then have a look at the entire pack to see what I can salvage.

The only instance where I saw it was when I logged on the Chinese server for half an hour out of curiousity.

I have no idea why this hasn't been the case for months. Years even(?). When admins ask the server "what map should I change this to" the answer is arena 99% of the time.

As said earlier, Arena is too small for anything above 50 players and is filled with campable spots like the towers and corridors. If someone feels like making a map like Arena but then more fit for cRPG, as in larger and less camping spots and slightly more protected spawns, it should be extremely easy. Especially when using current Arena as a working platform. Perhaps a good first mapping endeavour for someone new? Mapping is fairly easy and straightforward, don't be afraid to try it.

Also, my experience on EU servers is that admins and votes usually change the map to Ruins, which is a map that caters to all.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 04:02:34 pm »
+2
It's really annoying to play so many city and enclosed maps in a row, and then you get on an open field map and people start bitching to change it to arena so it happens.

I don't even think a map poll is acceptable in these instances.  Change it to another open plains or steppe map if the map is really that hilly/mountainous. 

If you don't like the map rotation, post in the Scenes section of the forums.  Everyone has different tastes in what they find appealing in a map, while "we" put up with a bunch of maps you like that we don't really like, you can do the same.

Changing maps and putting up map change polls is really the only thing that admins do that annoy me, that I feel is overstepping their responsibilities.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Mae.

• Duke
  • Renown: 516
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
  • :3
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnant
  • Game nicks: mae
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 05:27:45 pm »
+3
you people..

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2013, 08:23:18 pm »
+3
Old school nerd nerding shit up

LOL, good old Dexx. I wish he played more often.

(click to show/hide)
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 08:45:52 pm »
I can't stand most ATS maps...I stopped playing counter-strike years ago, I don't want to play similar "funnel/alley" maps in crpg.

But I tolerate and put up with any maps without bitching and complaining, because there's plenty that I like in the rotation (that people who like linear paths or buildings to hide behind, do not necessarily like).  You'll never see me asking for a map change or a map poll on a map I don't like. 

*EDIT* There is one map I bitch about, that's Zlisch's river map with there being only about 10-15 feet of space between each embankment and the map edge.  But I just get off my horse and run aimlessly forward like the rest of the infantry horde.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2013, 09:19:47 pm »
+3
I can't stand most ATS maps...

Kingship = revoked.

Please drop off your crown on your way out  :twisted:
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 01:06:14 am »
+1
Dammit, then provide me a download link to the ATS map pack and I might actually do something with it. I can't find it.