Author Topic: Remove Admin decision from Name Change.  (Read 1051 times)

Offline MrPink44

• Count
  • Renown: 245
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Frisian Freedom
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pink_Frisia, Flying_FrnchFries
  • IRC nick: n/a
Remove Admin decision from Name Change.
« on: September 04, 2013, 11:15:27 pm »
+12
Honestly there is no reason for us to have an admin lording over our name changes. If they are offensive then just ban the person from server til they change it again. Keep the 1000 gold fee and let us change the name whenever we want.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 +Bitches be all over yo charismatic dick.
"Suck my mace." -Larry the Magical Cheetah
I will be a meatshield for my frisian friends! -Frug Frug MB
"Frisia.. urging clans to go to war with other clans for the lulz since 2012." -Tazer
"Are you not entertained?" -Leonidas, The Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Re: Remove Admin decision from Name Change.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 11:21:28 pm »
+3

Bones' agrees, so it must be the right decision. 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Gmnotutoo

• King
  • Renown: 1387
  • Infamy: 229
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Space Pope of BIRD CLAN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns
  • Game nicks: Gmnotutoo
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 11:53:24 pm »
+5

So does Batman.

THIS IS A MANLY CLAN. FOR MANLY MEN. DOING MANLY THINGS.

Offline MrPink44

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 12:21:53 am »
+1

Bones' agrees, so it must be the right decision.
I'd hit is so I agree.
"Frisia.. urging clans to go to war with other clans for the lulz since 2012." -Tazer

Offline Nordwolf

• Earl
  • Renown: 492
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Nordwolf, 4 other Nordwolfs, Wolf_in_the_Van Victory, Earngrim, Core, Farewell, Akaio_BlackSpear +**
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 11:46:38 pm »
+1
I think this whole thing is to prevent it to be a full rename feature. (because you can buy it on an auction)

Though I agree with this suggestion.

Offline Harald

• The old
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 12:42:44 am »
+6
"Name change" is a bit misleading since it was always only meant to be used for fixing typos and clan tags. When you apply for a "name change" the rule is that the name must still be recognizable. The original reason for that was RP, not being able to easily get away with something by taking on a different name. A full rename was always possible with retirement, the rename (and also training lesson) auction is mainly intended for high level players.

Offline Gmnotutoo

• King
  • Renown: 1387
  • Infamy: 229
  • Space Pope of BIRD CLAN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns
  • Game nicks: Gmnotutoo
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 03:36:51 am »
+2
"Name change" is a bit misleading since it was always only meant to be used for fixing typos and clan tags. When you apply for a "name change" the rule is that the name must still be recognizable. The original reason for that was RP, not being able to easily get away with something by taking on a different name. A full rename was always possible with retirement, the rename (and also training lesson) auction is mainly intended for high level players.

A good explanation, but we still want the change. It's hindering my RP by not giving me a quick option to take on disguises and different names.

THIS IS A MANLY CLAN. FOR MANLY MEN. DOING MANLY THINGS.

Offline Nightingale

• Balancer
  • Renown: 925
  • Infamy: 205
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elderly Woman
  • IRC nick: Nightingale
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 08:36:03 am »
+3
Honestly there is no reason for us to have an admin lording over our name changes. If they are offensive then just ban the person from server til they change it again. Keep the 1000 gold fee and let us change the name whenever we want.

But... how else am I suppose to make gold?

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 09:26:02 am »

A big strategy in this game is know who you are fighting and knowing their style.

Giving people the option to change their name on the fly is a bad idea.  Especially those that are 32+.

Clan tags are fine but I agree with harold.  Retire if you want a full new name.

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline MrPink44

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 06:29:56 pm »
+1
That makes no real sense though Eyebeat, first you can see a persons name on the other team. Secondly I find peoples chosen outfit to be a bigger identifier but with swag jacking and people just changing it up often enough even that is an anomalous way to approach someone. Personally I treat every enemy the same. Regardless of level or build I throw myself into combat regardless of who it is. Sometimes very good players use that skittishness to their advantage against weaker minded fools. I like to keep them on their toes with a healthy does of aggression they don't normally expect.

While I respect your guy's views on why none of them has been a really strong answer. Typos and clan tags, yeah I get it. But "getting away with something"? I don't understand if you have someone change their name they are still subject to the general server rules regardless of name change. Offensive language or improper behavior is treated the same way regardless of who's name it is. RP eh that's subjective do you realize in those times how many people assumed disguises to enter anonymously into tournaments so that people wouldn't shy away? Or how easy it was to escape trouble by just running to a new town and changing your name?

I don't want to get to level 34 with the time investment and want to change my name after half a year or so just to have to retire for a full name change. Nor to I have the gold to dump on the ridiculously inflated and outrageous prices on the market for a rename. So while your reasons are sound in theory truthfully they are hollow and archaic. It's one less thing you will have to bother with as admins and you can keep your attention focused on the server behavior rather than policing exterior shenanigans.

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 06:47:27 pm »
While I respect your guy's views on why none of them has been a really strong answer. Typos and clan tags, yeah I get it. But "getting away with something"? I don't understand if you have someone change their name they are still subject to the general server rules regardless of name change. Offensive language or improper behavior is treated the same way regardless of who's name it is. RP eh that's subjective do you realize in those times how many people assumed disguises to enter anonymously into tournaments so that people wouldn't shy away? Or how easy it was to escape trouble by just running to a new town and changing your name?

They are not talking about getting away with having a name.

They are talking about when a player joins a game with one name.  Breaks a rule and DC's, comes back with another name.  It makes it hard for admins as well as players to keep track of the person so they can get punished.

They also do not want people changing their identity willy-nilly for this reason, as well as people abusing this in strat.

Imagine a clan of people changing their names so they can join a strat battle they would otherwise not be invited too, then leaving to sabotage the whole thing.
(This is punishable and everything but it just creates more unnecessary work for admins.)

Offline matt2507

• King
  • Renown: 1013
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • It is when making anything that we become anyone.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Raylin The_Village_Idiot Mohamed_Ali
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 07:49:29 pm »

Mmh..

I tried to change my alt "Imperiale_Ray_Lin_my old friendcher" to "OdE_Raylin_my old friendcher" and it was refused.

Imperiale to OdE for clan tag and Ray_Lin to Raylin for rp change (chinese rp to french rp).
I don't see why it was refused  :?

Especially as I could rename my Main "Imperiale_Ray_Lin" to "OdE_Raylin_de_Normandie"..

No donkeys were harmed in the making of this gif.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 07:57:40 pm »
+2
Name changes are an economical factor for admins like baby circumcision is for US doctors. Can't go or chadz has to raise our salary to a postive non-zero value.

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 08:58:20 pm »
The whole admin decision in name change practice doesn't work anyway, it is stupid. 90% of the time if I want to change my name and my request gets denied all I have to do is wait until a different admin checks and apply for a name change again.

Offline MrPink44

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 09:05:15 pm »
They are not talking about getting away with having a name.

They are talking about when a player joins a game with one name.  Breaks a rule and DC's, comes back with another name.  It makes it hard for admins as well as players to keep track of the person so they can get punished.

They also do not want people changing their identity willy-nilly for this reason, as well as people abusing this in strat.

Imagine a clan of people changing their names so they can join a strat battle they would otherwise not be invited too, then leaving to sabotage the whole thing.
(This is punishable and everything but it just creates more unnecessary work for admins.)
See now that at least makes sense I can understand that. But most people that run a roster aren't going to outright invite people they don't know. Hence the 30 min prior roll call. Also there is the possiblity of putting a 3 day cool down on name changes to avoid rule-breaking and general bundle of sticksry. Strat aboose is about the only valid reason suggested so far. I don't really know how other clans run their rosters but in Frisia we don't put people on without knowing who they are.