Author Topic: New gamemode : Siege with one life  (Read 1304 times)

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
Re: New gamemode : Siege with one life
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 10:10:04 pm »
I think some native siege maps had a system where attackers got X number of lives and defenders only got one, or something like that - not sure if the maps were more defensively biased than crpg ones (which are made to allow many plausible routes to the flag).

Native doesn't need to be balanced, it doesn't matter if attackers win more of the time than defenders, that's why the lives thing worked. The native (and Napoleonic Wars) siege servers that use a lives system generally also have much longer round times than crpg siege. In native with 30 minute round times, if the attackers win in the last, say, 5 minutes, it's pretty much a win for the defenders. Crpg has the dreaded multiplier, so it just wouldn't work here.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 08:52:38 pm »
I think some native siege maps had a system where attackers got X number of lives and defenders only got one, or something like that - not sure if the maps were more defensively biased than crpg ones (which are made to allow many plausible routes to the flag).

On a different note - as Ellie pointed out - next patch will include a code that makes it so that when the population drops below certain thresholds the defensive spawn timer will reduce itself.  This is something the mappers have been talking about for some time to help balance low pop siege and Paul made it happen!  Go Paul.

Really? Paul is my hero. Attackers always winning low-pop siege condemned NA2 to obscurity, I expect a revival now. Some of those massive maps that already favor defenders (Helms Deep for one) need to get out of the NA2 rotation once that change goes in though.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 10:24:44 pm »
Really? Paul is my hero. Attackers always winning low-pop siege condemned NA2 to obscurity, I expect a revival now. Some of those massive maps that already favor defenders (Helms Deep for one) need to get out of the NA2 rotation once that change goes in though.

Sometimes massive maps favor defenders if the attackers have a long way to go, sometimes they favor attackers if the defenders spawn too far from the flag themselves.  Either way they are too boring in the current NA2 pop and need to go. 

I still hope to have a separate NA2 rotation made.  However, I am hoping that the spawn timer change helps populate NA2 and therefore reduce the need for a different rotation altogether :)
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 10:34:45 pm »
Sometimes massive maps favor defenders if the attackers have a long way to go, sometimes they favor attackers if the defenders spawn too far from the flag themselves.  Either way they are too boring in the current NA2 pop and need to go. 

I still hope to have a separate NA2 rotation made.  However, I am hoping that the spawn timer change helps populate NA2 and therefore reduce the need for a different rotation altogether :)

Even with high population, no one likes having to trudge up a hill for a minute to get to the action. Too many maps make attackers walk slowly up a hill to get to the castle. Your maps that open with a bridge or other flat plain allow attackers to at least ride a donkey to the castle.

Ladders are a much more interesting feature than long hills, because ladders create a choke point. Choke points encourage teamwork (protect the archers/maulers!)