4 (36.4%)
Leave them as they are
5 (45.5%)
Approved, only apply to long spears and pikes
2 (18.2%)
Approved with variations, see my reply
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: [discussion] long polearm changes?  (Read 667 times)

Offline Palurgee

• Duke
  • Renown: 607
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: palurgee, brokeback_mountaineer, denarii
  • IRC nick: palurgee
[discussion] long polearm changes?
« on: August 21, 2013, 05:49:56 am »
+3
I think that polearms with a length greater than 180 should get a unique stab animation. I don't want these weapons to be nerfed because they're already pretty underused outside of strategus as is; however, they're a little bit silly. I was watching goldilocks on the duel server with a long spear. He would look straight up, thrust, and then look down. Whoever was standing immediately in front of him would get hit for full damage. I know warband physics are far from perfect, but I think we could fix it with an animation change, and a "deadzone" change.

1. Animation. The current polearm thrust animation involves gripping two points on the shaft and then outstretching your arms until they are completely straight. There are two ways for this to be done: one, the hands are held close enough together that the arms can be extended fully. Two, the hand closer to the point of the weapon slides down the shaft as the weapon is thrust. The second one allows for more reach but less stability, the first is the opposite. Judging by the minimal change in the distance between the hands during a polearm thrust, I guess that the first option is closer than the second one to how polearms are thrust in warband. Perhaps weapons with a reach greater than 180 should get the second thrust type, where the hand slides down the shaft as the weapon is thrust. This could grant some bonus reach (around 20, maybe?).

2. Deadzone. When thrusting, you can turn to your side and then turn back after releasing the thrust. I believe this gives more damage from speed bonus. This proceeds the animation enough so that the weapon will not glance. I think that polearms with a length greater than 180 should be limited to a small region (or deadzone) when thrusted. This means that when you thrust, you can only turn so far (in any direction) and not make physically impossible speed bonuses for yourself.

These suggestions are more so for pikes and long spears than the other weapons, like ranseur and long awlpike, but it could work with them as well. Please reply with your feedback/ideas for longer polearms.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:47:51 pm by Palurgee »

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
Re: [discussion] long polearm changes?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 06:03:26 am »

2. Deadzone. When thrusting, you can turn to your side and then turn back after releasing the thrust. I believe this gives more damage from speed bonus. I think that polearms with a length greater than 180 should be limited to a small region (or deadzone) when thrusted. This means that when you thrust, you can only turn so far (in any direction) and not make physically impossible speed bonuses for yourself.

These suggestions are more so for pikes and long spears than the other weapons, like ranseur and long awlpike, but it could work with them as well. Please reply with your feedback/ideas for longer polearms.

tried making that suggestion, this is what happened. 

http://forum.meleegaming.com/suggestions-corner/2h-lolstab-polearm-stab-fix/msg830354/#msg830354

Make it so that when the person is using a 2h/polearm stab the animation is fixed in a forward or backing motion only, you cannot swing the camera left or right, this would get rid of these lingering twist stabs for both polearm and 2h stabs.  This would make the retarded op stabbing a gamble and you would no longer see people doing 90 degree turns to stab.  You would also see less amounts of spinning long spear and pike action.  The fix doesnt have to be set to 0 degrees, but rather maybe 15-30 degrees each way similar to what the lance cav have already on horseback.

Oh but ill bless you Palurgee since only you can make posts without being shitposted, you are a god like suggester, a one of a kind man, if only i was even but a 1/10th of the man you were.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 06:34:28 am »
+2
I believe this gives more damage from speed bonus.
Player rotation speed does not affect speed bonus.

Offline El_Infante

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tercio_Alejandro_Farnesio
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 08:41:50 pm »
The reason to turn before weapon hit is very simple. It's just for avoiding glances because it allow you to hit on non-early stab animation. If devs nerfed turn rotation on horizontal axis they also should nerf rotation on vertical axis. But they didn't so polearm stab abusers (very popular nowadays) just turn on the vertical axis to give a full damage hit even when facehugging with a long spear.

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 08:53:17 pm »
Downblock
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158