Poll

Would you use it?

I could benefit from using a light version of cRPG
8 (38.1%)
I have no need of this/don't want to use it
13 (61.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: cRPG light  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Ozin

• Duke
  • Renown: 584
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • IRC nick: Ozin
cRPG light
« on: May 11, 2011, 07:40:47 am »
Quite a few of us, including myself, have experienced a lot of freezes and crashes after the last patch came out, the cause being the new models/textures added. I get similar problems with other sp mods such as PoP and 1257 that add lots of new models. I have tried everything I can think of to solve this, including changing pagefile and the boot.ini fix, load textures on demand, lowering graphics, killing all tasks in background, etc.

I therefore propose that if possible, a light version of cRPG module be made, with no native texture/models replacements, no new face textures/models, possibly only one color version of each armor, and any other stuff that trim down the resources that need to be loaded. This would help a lot of players play cRPG without crashes and fps spikes.

Thoughts?

edit: before I get hailed by requests of getting a better computer, these are my relevant specs: ati HD5870 1gb, 4gb ddr2 ram. The freezes come as a direct result of too many armors/textures being loaded at the same time, increasing the amount of memory warband uses, causing a crash for some players.

edit 2: I'm not suggesting removing any custom armors or weapons such as the transitional armors or the new weapons. Only a merge of some identical ones with different textures, and remove any other superficial textures/models.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 07:54:13 am by Ozin »

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
Re: cRPG light
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 07:59:04 am »
I do have freezes after patch  but i prefer looks to high fps game experience.
I voted the 2nd choice but if there was a "I support the idea but i 'll keep playing the usual cRPG" I would vote that instead.
With that system spec i wonder how the hell can an indie game freezes ?
I don't think it is texture overload .(C'mon no texture overloads on crysis 2 but on warband ? )
I also got weird lags like receiving block/attack sounds 0.5 - 1 seconds later , animation lags which cause Team hits or weird attacks...
I think i love the cRPG with all it's problems  :o

Offline Ozin

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 07:59:59 am »
One reference: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,4648.0.html

I do have freezes after patch  but i prefer looks to high fps game experience.
I voted the 2nd choice but if there was a "I support the idea but i 'll keep playing the usual cRPG" I would vote that instead.
With that system spec i wonder how the hell can an indie game freezes ?
I don't think it is texture overload .(C'mon no texture overloads on crysis 2 but on warband ? )
I also got weird lags like receiving block/attack sounds 0.5 - 1 seconds later , animation lags which cause Team hits or weird attacks...
I think i love the cRPG with all it's problems  :o
The light version would play on the same servers as normal, everything would be the same. The changes to what armor models are loaded are only local. Warband is not as optimized as other games in terms of memory usage. I can run the game at full settings with very good fps, but once I play a mod that adds a specific amount or more of new resources I get these full freezes.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 08:06:28 am by Ozin »

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 08:20:36 am »
Heh... no offence but a new pc really doesn't cost that much not to talk about a pc that can run this very very very old game in full settings.

Off-course if people are too cheap to upgrade their rigs i guess its a problem  :lol:

Texas instrument is meant for homework not playing warbarnd  :mrgreen:
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 08:23:50 am »
This would be nice, but I think that the devs are pretty busy with our strategus update that we been waiting months for :wink:

Offline Ozin

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 06:57:57 pm »
Looking into the possibility of making this myself, I think it should be quite doable. Only edit one txt file, edit the brf files, module.ini and remove certain texture files. I'll know once I start testing.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 07:03:58 pm »
As far as I know, this has no real impact on performance. I could be wrong though, and if it has indeed a noteable performance change, we might compile a low-res version together with the normal version.

Offline Ozin

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 07:11:28 pm »
It does indeed not impact my performance, true. It does however seem to cause the famous freeze/crash that some of us experience at quite random intervals. I can't think of any other reason for this happening just suddenly after the last big patch. Exactly the same freezes as I get with other mods that add a lot of resources. I'll see if the freezes stop if I can manage to remove some materials and models.

A low-res version might work even better, without removing anything as well :)