Author Topic: What kind of performance do you think is acceptable for playing cRPG ?  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Warborn304

• Count
  • Renown: 268
  • Infamy: 139
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Saint_George_Zimmerman
50 FPS +
less than 50 Ping

I think this is the summation of the thread.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Wolfsblood

• Baron
  • Renown: 145
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Murder Boner
  • Game nicks: Wolfsblood_MB, Wolfsfang
I am so used to having ping in the single digits that it starts to become noticeable when I spike to 50 or more.

I am happy when my fps is 25 or above although during prime time its more like watching a slide show than playing a game (minimum settings, dx7, shitty laptop :()

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
I play on 600x800 (gross, I know) to 1024x768 with medium shaders and textures. If the server has ~40 or less, I can go to 1024 without FPS loss. I have the limiter set to 70 FPS, and if it dips below 40 fps regularly it becomes harder to fight effectively.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
+1
The funky thing with fps and Warband is that the animations seem influenced by it, even though everything looks smooth at 60 fps, the animations look all jittery for me. It's a 120 fps or bust for me, things get weird at lower rates. Ping, anything up to 80 is fine I'd say. Another weird Warband problem is that higher ping is not only delay, but also seems to cause a whole lot more packet loss. Case and point fighting on NA, even though I can do the correct block on time quite easily, half the time the block that is on my screen is apparently not the block I am doing, because strikes go through blocks.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
Stable 59 FPS, less than 60ms latency.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
Another weird Warband problem is that higher ping is not only delay, but also seems to cause a whole lot more packet loss. Case and point fighting on NA, even though I can do the correct block on time quite easily, half the time the block that is on my screen is apparently not the block I am doing, because strikes go through blocks.

With high ping, I feel like your local game client and the server disagree on what is happening. I've heard secondhand that the game code only uses one set of "things" (i'm not a coder, can you tell?) and that it doesn't try to sync your local actions and the server actions. I know 1v1 fighting games use netcode like that, but I am not a programmer and I'd love if someone could shed some light onto this topic...  :?:

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Also with 150 ping I glance all the time, which is really strange because it seems like my swing is connecting at the same points of the arc as when I'm playing with 40 ping
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
With high ping, I feel like your local game client and the server disagree on what is happening. I've heard secondhand that the game code only uses one set of "things" (i'm not a coder, can you tell?) and that it doesn't try to sync your local actions and the server actions. I know 1v1 fighting games use netcode like that, but I am not a programmer and I'd love if someone could shed some light onto this topic...  :?:

You can't really sync real time data. I have no idea how WB netcode works but I guess the problem is something like this. The client looks at what the player is doing (move mouse right, press block) and sends messages about it to the server. But in the meantime it also updates the screen with the results (right block). When the server receives the data it will calculate the results (including if block is to late etc.) and sends it to everyone. If data is corrupted then the server can reach different conclusions than the client, and as sane persons WB coders made the server override the client and so you can see a right block but still suffer damage. (I guess you could have the client wait for the server before reacting to controls if that's what you mean by sync, but then you'd have lag on your own controls).
And data can be corrupted in various ways. Values can change, packets of data can get lost or arrive in the wrong order.
I think the problem WB has that it is dependent on order. A normal shooter for example isn't. "up, left, left, up, left, ..." or "left, up, up, left, left, ..." will both have you aiming in the upper left corner. "left, up, block, ..." or "up, left, block, ..." or just "up, block, ..." is a life and death difference though. Something like that anyway. The further away from the server the more time for the data to be corrupted obviously.
In any case those are mostly speculations and perhaps wrong.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:02:09 pm by EponiCo »