Poll

Approval

I approve.
I do not approve.
I approve but with some variations, see my reply.

Author Topic: 2h thrust rage thread  (Read 9026 times)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Re: 2h thrust rage thread
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2013, 07:47:04 pm »
+7
Only issue I have with the 2h thrust, is the amazing window it has to deal damage.  It can have stopped moving forward completely, and will still deal massive damage. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2013, 07:47:36 pm »
+6
LoL

This nicely written, civilized and justified complaint about greatsswords has been posted a bit less than 7 hours ago and this thread is almost at page four. 2h lobby assploded. I wonder what would happen if greatswords actually got the polearm stab.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2013, 08:11:27 pm »
+2
I don't even know whats happening in this thread anymore lol.

I wish people would realize that cRPG is based on the amazing and groundbreaking - YET LIMITED - physics engine of Warband, and that - ALL - (yes all) weapon types have flawed mechanics and physics in some ways. 

Each group complains about each other, and usually has problems with other weapon types more than their own because they are not as familiar with how they work (strengths and weaknesses) and because of the limitations of their own weapon type vs that weapon type.  People also tend to have an over inflated sense of how good they are and try to make up for that by coming here and claiming other weapons types are OP. 

"...first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye" - Matthew 7:5

All weapon types have issues, the best thing the devs can do currently is balance how they can (and I think they have improved things over time), and then its up to us to hone our own skills as best we can.
One thing to notice is that the truly good players (and I am far from one of them), like Saul, San, and Cyranule, etc (sorry EU I don't know yours) don't come on here and whine about other weapon types, and I know for one that Saul is good at all of them.

I'd love though if people would stop autospamming "nerf2h" in all threads on the forums.  I assure you good 2h players have problems with good polearm users and good 1h/shield users etc etc. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:17:12 pm by Elindor »
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2013, 08:34:51 pm »
Dunno, 2h seems OP on itself, but my k/d with polearms isn't worse than with 2h, so hey, I guess they're somehow balanced gameplay-wise.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2013, 08:47:52 pm »
From what I can tell, both players moving toward each other during the thrust is what triggers the 2h thrust block stun
I'm reasonably certain it's triggered by being blocked or glancing late in your stab animation. I'm not 100% sure this is the case, but I would be surprised if it wasn't.

In duel you can abuse this by intentionally walking into a stab that is past the point of doing damage, but has not yet retracted. Not really a useful trick for battle, though.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2013, 09:01:46 pm »
+1

In duel you can abuse this by intentionally walking into a stab that is past the point of doing damage, but has not yet retracted. Not really a useful trick for battle, though.

Every time I've tried doing that I get hit for full damage :(
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2013, 09:04:16 pm »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2013, 09:52:41 pm »
Biggest problem about the Longspear are the people that are on the receiving end of it, they are just too stupid to do the correct footwork and be patient when attacking a pikeman, they think, 'oh look a guy with 1 attack direction, no need to block' and then complain when they are are hit in the face.

The fuck are you talking about? No one is complaining about getting stabbed at range. It's the part where the middle of the shaft does the stabbing that's the problem.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2013, 09:56:16 pm »
The fuck are you talking about? No one is complaining about getting stabbed at range. It's the part where the middle of the shaft does the stabbing that's the problem.
Every weapon does full piercing damage when landing a stab with the side of the weapon. It's disingenuous to single out support polearms for this. I have instagibbed teammates by brushing them with the side my fist when doing a 1h stab.

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2013, 09:58:01 pm »
Except every other weapon isn't massively long.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2013, 10:05:15 pm »
+1
Except every other weapon isn't massively long.
I would classify the stab on a GGS or GS as 'massively long', and I'm fine with this. I certainly wouldn't suggest that a GGS user suddenly become completely helpless the instant an enemy gets close to him.

The pike & long spear sacrifice pretty much everything for their reach. Going further by removing any means of self-defense would likely just mean that nobody would play them.

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2013, 10:13:17 pm »
+1
I wouldn't compare the two at all.

Aside from the differences in stab animation which do favour the greatswords, the polearms have this lovely ability to become active practically immediately after you release the attack. It's like having your cake and eating it too, except having the cake is having the massive range, and eating is logic defying stabs when you could be doing the bump n grind with someone. The only thing the support pikes sacrifice is the other attack directions.

In any event, I've already said that the stabs on greatswords should be nerfed a bit, but calling pikes and longspears fine is disingenuous.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2013, 10:19:01 pm »
+6
Aside from the differences in stab animation which do favour the greatswords, the polearms have this lovely ability to become active practically immediately after you release the attack.
You can do this with 2h swords as well. Aim an inch next to your opponent's head, release, and then simultaneously move forward and drag the hit in. You will land a full damage hit almost immediately after releasing.

but calling pikes and longspears fine is disingenuous.
But they are fine. The game is full of idiosyncrasies (hiltslashing, blocking massive weapons with tiny weapons, surviving getting hit by horses, surviving having your horse plow directly into a wall, shaft-stabbing, etc), but they are all beneficial to gameplay. The need for deep, nuanced gameplay supersedes the desire for realistic looking strategies.

Offline Cyranule

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2013, 11:02:47 pm »
+2

Hold on now let's watch it with that "abuse" business.  Setting your opponent up for a failed stab and taking advantage of it is always the stabbers fault. 
Like most things people complain about in melee. 

Offline Ragni_Bross

• Knight
  • Renown: 69
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • "At the end of a smile there's a laugh and a half"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Militia
  • Game nicks: Militia_Iwarad
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2013, 11:28:05 pm »
I would classify the stab on a GGS or GS as 'massively long', and I'm fine with this. I certainly wouldn't suggest that a GGS user suddenly become completely helpless the instant an enemy gets close to him.

The pike & long spear sacrifice pretty much everything for their reach. Going further by removing any means of self-defense would likely just mean that nobody would play them.

Becomes helpless? I take it you've never heard of halfswording? Then again the devs stopped halfway through the process of finishing it ...