Author Topic: What is the best 1h sword?  (Read 6553 times)

Offline xElite777x

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
What is the best 1h sword?
« on: July 09, 2013, 09:55:41 pm »
What is the best 1h sword? Right now I have the Espada but I want something better so if I could have some opinions that would be great.

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
Re: What is the best 1h sword?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 09:59:59 pm »
+7
I hate when people ask this question...

It is all about personal preference.  What you like will determine what is best for you.

However, if you did like the Espada (The short one) I would highly suggest to try using other short swords on the market.  I currently use a Grosse Messer

It has good speed and damage, although it is shorter.  I love shorter one handed weapons as a shielder so it works out perfectly for me.  The down side is the low amount of pierce it does on thrust.

Offline xElite777x

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 10:17:25 pm »
+1
I hate when people ask this question...

It is all about personal preference.  What you like will determine what is best for you.

However, if you did like the Espada (The short one) I would highly suggest to try using other short swords on the market.  I currently use a Grosse Messer

It has good speed and damage, although it is shorter.  I love shorter one handed weapons as a shielder so it works out perfectly for me.  The down side is the low amount of pierce it does on thrust.

Well I am asking for opinions and I went from the Scottish Sword to the Espada (Both short swords) but now I can't find any short stabby swords I like or am ready to get and it does not have to be short and stabby that is just what I have at the moment.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 10:19:14 pm »
+2
95% of non-peasant 1h weapons are well balanced and have unique traits that some people prefer best.

The long espada is good if you like making longer distance stab attacks and outranging opponents. Other swords are better are closer distance, better at swinging, have no stab, trade more damage for less length/speed, etc.

Well I am asking for opinions and I went from the Scottish Sword to the Espada (Both short swords) but now I can't find any short stabby swords I like or am ready to get and it does not have to be short and stabby that is just what I have at the moment.

How much do you actually use stab attack? If you don't use it much you don't want a sword that has stabbing damage boosted, it's a waste.

Offline xElite777x

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 10:22:18 pm »
95% of non-peasant 1h weapons are well balanced and have unique traits that some people prefer best.

The long espada is good if you like making longer distance stab attacks and outranging opponents. Other swords are better are closer distance, better at swinging, have no stab, trade more damage for less length/speed, etc.

How much do you actually use stab attack? If you don't use it much you don't want a sword that has stabbing damage boosted, it's a waste.

What sword do you use?

Offline xElite777x

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 10:24:35 pm »

Well I try to use it a lot in Native I use short swords and stab a lot but it is harder in cRPG and many of the skilled players just down block every single  stab.

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 10:24:48 pm »
+2
If you like stabby things, you should stick with the shorter ones.  They are the easiest to stab with.  Although, if you want a sword that is balanced I would go with the Side Sword.  High speed (Nerfed) with a decent length.  It does equal damage in both cut and pierce as well.  A decent sword for using with or without a shield.

The only problem is that it is expensive.  Although, if you want a decent replacement you could try the Arming Sword.  Everything is the same but the pierce damage is a bit lower.  It is a lot cheaper to maintain though.

Or if you want a happy medium.  Go with the Italian Sword  It has great length, can be used on horseback effectively.  Good cut and decent pierce.  As well a good speed to go along with it.

I would also like to add that the Italian sword is hard to see in some situations.  Making it harder for some to block.

Well I try to use it a lot in Native I use short swords and stab a lot but it is harder in cRPG and many of the skilled players just down block every single  stab.

To land a stab, you will have to start being creative with your swings.  A lot of Crpg players are experienced.  I usually use stabs on enemies that are being attacked by many players at once, or if I sneak up on them.  I more or less just like the speed of short swords personally.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 10:28:12 pm »
+1
Try Spathion, it has great stab but also really nice cut. Or side sword, at +3 it has 32 cut and 32 pierce dmg, really nice weapon for someone stabing a lot. Though I prefer Long espada eslavona when I'm in "stabing" mood :P You can use it as a mini spear :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline xElite777x

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 10:29:37 pm »
If you like stabby things, you should stick with the shorter ones.  They are the easiest to stab with.  Although, if you want a sword that is balanced I would go with the Side Sword.  High speed (Nerfed) with a decent length.  It does equal damage in both cut and pierce as well.  A decent sword for using with or without a shield.

The only problem is that it is expensive.  Although, if you want a decent replacement you could try the Arming Sword.  Everything is the same but the pierce damage is a bit lower.  It is a lot cheaper to maintain though.

Or if you want a happy medium.  Go with the Italian Sword  It has great length, can be used on horseback effectively.  Good cut and decent pierce.  As well a good speed to go along with it.

I would also like to add that the Italian sword is hard to see in some situations.  Making it harder for some to block.

Money is not a problem and does 4 pierce make a difference? Thanks!

Offline xElite777x

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 10:31:23 pm »
Try Spathion, it has great stab but also really nice cut. Or side sword, at +3 it has 32 cut and 32 pierce dmg, really nice weapon for someone stabing a lot. Though I prefer Long espada eslavona when I'm in "stabing" mood :P You can use it as a mini spear :P

I will keep those in mind but would you pick the Long Espada over the Side Sword?

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 10:31:38 pm »
+1

Until you are really good at it, I wouldn't stab much. It is probably the most difficult to use attack direction.

Left swing is generally considered the strongest 1h attack, use that as your bread and butter attack. I would suggest trying maybe a Grosse Messer or Italian Sword. They have some stab capacity, but less, and have higher swing damage, and fast. Italian is better for longer finesse work, the Grosse Messer is more medium range dirtier work. Length is not always better, it's easier to glance with a longer sword at closer range.

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 10:32:23 pm »
Money is not a problem and does 4 pierce make a difference? Thanks!

Yes and no.  Pierce will go through armor well (If the hit was well placed) Although, obviously the high pierce it has, The more of a chance he wont get back up.

Offline Canuck

• Earl
  • Renown: 482
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Canuck
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 10:40:06 pm »
I have the grosse messer, side sword, italian sword, and broad short sword all +3. They're all great weapons, just some are more appropriate for different play styles. When I had a long espada I enjoyed using that to outreach other people with my thrusts, but chances are you'll glance more often with that than the side sword because of the length. If you're using a shield, then go with what the others here have said. Short weapons with high swing damage and high speed are great for shielders. Especially if you aren't very good at stabbing yet.

Also, I believe that the higher your pierce damage on the thrust, the less likely you are to glance. I could be wrong though. So if you're going to be stabbing it is best to get a more balanced weapon in terms of swing/stab damage.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 10:52:57 pm »
I will keep those in mind but would you pick the Long Espada over the Side Sword?

If you stab a lot - or even better: almost all the time - sure thing. With long espada you can stay a bit behind your teammates and stab from a second line :P Works great with 6 ath and pretty light armor (9 kg). I had a few really nice scores playing like that, e.g. sth around 45-2 on siege, at least 35 kills with stab :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline xElite777x

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 11:07:32 pm »
If you stab a lot - or even better: almost all the time - sure thing. With long espada you can stay a bit behind your teammates and stab from a second line :P Works great with 6 ath and pretty light armor (9 kg). I had a few really nice scores playing like that, e.g. sth around 45-2 on siege, at least 35 kills with stab :P

Makes me want to have the Long Espada I think that is what I might go with.