Author Topic: Starbound  (Read 7144 times)

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 12:22:30 pm »
+2
I expected nothing from Terraria. It was just one of those cheap Indy titles with the only appeal of being different from the rest, until I actually tried it. 70+ hours in no time and afterwards I went and bought "Under the Ocean" right away, just because it looked remotely similar. It really wasn't... although after the next update I will definitely have another look at it, because they are going full 3D with most of the environment. Edge of Space looks like trash in my opinion, never cared about that one. But Starbound with all the promised randomness is something I'm looking forward to. Although after the recent "World Premiere" I've got somewhat mixed expectations. Sure, it's not finished yet and the static world looks quite ok, but the monsters - the way they look, move, die - they're ugly as hell.

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 01:43:55 pm »
...but the monsters - the way they look, move, die - they're ugly as hell.
i'm pretty sure they are working on it , too bad they didn't show better monster death anim in the streaming tho.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 01:45:21 pm »
newsflash!

a clone of a game cannot be better than game it copies.

edit: what is this terraria fuss about? exploration in 2d seems incredibly boring to me.
the main selling point of minecraft is its huge ammount of terrain to explore, 2d sounds pretty limiting in this...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:48:30 pm by Nightmare798 »
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 03:05:45 pm »
+1
newsflash!

edit: what is this terraria fuss about? exploration in 2d seems incredibly boring to me.
the main selling point of minecraft is its huge ammount of terrain to explore, 2d sounds pretty limiting in this...

I played Terraria longer and did more stuff than I did on Minecraft, not everyone loves Minecraft, infact I think it's pretty boring as I couldn't give a shit about building anything beyond a hole in a mountain from which I mined. I found collecting the materials I need to make awesome equipment a lot more fun and challenging in Terraria than I did in Minecraft, even if it is quite simple and just a 2d side scroller, but that's the beauty of it.

Exploration is hardly amazing in either game though.

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 03:12:11 pm »
I don't see why a game that's inspired by another should inherently be the worse game. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Exploration as well as being creative (building stuff) isn't as fun in 2D. Building in 2D is pretty limited and the exploration can get dull, because you are walking the same old paths over and over again in order to get to new places. Distances will get long, eventually. That's where Minecraft is clearly superior IMO (although there isn't really anything to find while exploring). However, Minecraft isn't really much of a game, just a sandbox with no real goals other than survival. And mobs in Minecraft are too mindless to keep survival interesting for very long.
Terraria has fun gameplay. The fighting is more fun than you would expect, especially the boss fights are intense. There are lots of challenges (like surviving in new environments, battling new bosses) in the game and a constantly motivating progression of gathering ressources and crafting/finding new equipment. Graphics, music and sound effects are all very well done and immersive, if you can live with the "pixel art" style.

I wouldn't have thought Terraria to be any good either, being 2D and all. But somehow it is.

Offline Weren

• Duke
  • Renown: 588
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: irc://Weren
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 03:39:05 pm »
@Nightmare798: I wasn't sure if I should bother with your comment at all first, but I couldn't think of anything better to do at the time.

Eh? The game looks like that probably mostly because the Lead developer is the graphics designer of Terraria, he just decided he wanted something bigger and better.
I wouldn't call it a clone myself, because it really isn't - apart from the graphics and the genre, Starbound pretty much improves on every aspect of Terraria and adds tons of other
features that are not apparent in Terraria.

Sure it's missing the third dimension, but I wouldn't say that inherently makes exploration any more boring. IIRC Starbound has pretty much unlimited terrain, since all the planets, biomes and creatures are random generated(something Terraria didn't have, since you could only explore one very limited world at a time). The exploration is much more fun and engaging too in Terraria and Starbound, because of properly implemented rpg features, such as massive amounts of different loot, armour, weapons and other stuff(Minecraft only had 5 tiers of weapons and armour), quests, npcs, a lot more boss fights(Compared to Minecraft's Ender Dragon and Wither), and actual leveling. The rpg elements in MC felt more like something they just glued on top of the building simulator to make it sell more.

Free speech is about to become terrorism.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 03:47:30 pm »
Some people don't understand the difference between an iteration and a clone.  A clone would be exactly the same, this is clearly an iteration of the same theme.
Turtles

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 05:00:17 pm »
newsflash!

Thats pretty much what i thought when i first saw it, but then my friend got me into it and its really a great time if you have someone to play with. Solo i probably also a lot of fun. Terraria has a lot of exploration aswell, and has a bunch of bosses/difficult areas to fight and explore.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 681
  • Infamy: 1962
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 04:57:55 pm »
+1
Hey there folks, Cheapskate Gamer in da house!

Thing is, I don't want to shell out 15 bucks for this. This is what I have in mind. How about we organize ourselves to buy a damn 4 pack (45 bucks) and spread it equally? I can send you cash on you PayPal account or we can do some stupid trade on Steam Marketplace (currently at 6.5 euros but I'll get those 9 euros in no time just need to put some cards on market).

Is there anyone interested in getting this gem for less money?

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 05:57:38 am »
If i could play anything other than crpg maybe i would play starbound?

Offline Radament

• King
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 01:12:05 pm »
Hey there folks, Cheapskate Gamer in da house!

Thing is, I don't want to shell out 15 bucks for this. This is what I have in mind. How about we organize ourselves to buy a damn 4 pack (45 bucks) and spread it equally? I can send you cash on you PayPal account or we can do some stupid trade on Steam Marketplace (currently at 6.5 euros but I'll get those 9 euros in no time just need to put some cards on market).

Is there anyone interested in getting this gem for less money?

sorry , already preordered  but i think Alpson/Lars could be interested.

Offline Radament

• King
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 01:12:45 pm »
If i could play anything other than crpg maybe i would play starbound?

no , you must play crpg in addition.

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2013, 02:35:01 pm »
+2
Beta is 4 december, anyone going to play? Multiplayer will be in it.

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2013, 09:52:29 pm »
+1
Beta is 4 december, anyone going to play? Multiplayer will be in it.
Fuck to the yes, I'll be playing. I finally coughed up the cash a couple of weeks ago, so I can't wait until Wednesday!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 09:57:54 pm by Earthdforce »

Offline Weren

• Duke
  • Renown: 588
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: irc://Weren
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2013, 11:08:47 pm »
+1
Yup, pretty excited.  :)
Free speech is about to become terrorism.