Author Topic: Dark Souls II  (Read 71568 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls II
« Reply #840 on: May 21, 2014, 10:39:21 am »
+3
Also in other news, it seems that animations are faster and weapons degrade quicker when hitting corpses when you're on 60 FPS compared to 30 FPS. This gives people that play on 30 FPS an advantage, which is quite worrying (at least for PvP) :/

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #841 on: May 21, 2014, 11:38:39 am »
Where the fuck is the logic in that.  :shock:
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: May 21, 2014, 11:44:42 am »
the logic in this is that DS2 is still a shitty PC port

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #843 on: May 21, 2014, 11:46:12 am »
Also in other news, it seems that animations are faster and weapons degrade quicker when hitting corpses when you're on 60 FPS compared to 30 FPS. This gives people that play on 30 FPS an advantage, which is quite worrying (at least for PvP) :/

So, each frame that the weapon is "active" inside a dead enemy will cause a tick of damage. I can't see why they would have repeated checks each frame, I suppose they could change it to have a variable flag so once per animation it will check, if they really want bodies to cause weapon degradation. I can only think that they didn't want another check each time an attack is started & completed, although viably they might be able to just use the "hit box" one.

I know nothing of game creation by the way, I'm just thinking while typing. On another note, would that mean that a 60fps attack would have more active frames too, if the animation length is still the same, just split into more frames..? I remember going all the way back to CoD 2, there was a jump that you could make if you were on 125fps or higher, simply because the input checks happened more frequently, so my thinking here is that if you damage your weapon more often, presumably because of more active frame checks, on a corpse, you'd have a better chance of hitting an enemy successfully, particularly with multiple hit type weapons (channellers's staff).

I'm probably just talking out of my arse though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: May 21, 2014, 12:16:46 pm »
So, each frame that the weapon is "active" inside a dead enemy will cause a tick of damage. I can't see why they would have repeated checks each frame, I suppose they could change it to have a variable flag so once per animation it will check, if they really want bodies to cause weapon degradation. I can only think that they didn't want another check each time an attack is started & completed, although viably they might be able to just use the "hit box" one.

I know nothing of game creation by the way, I'm just thinking while typing. On another note, would that mean that a 60fps attack would have more active frames too, if the animation length is still the same, just split into more frames..? I remember going all the way back to CoD 2, there was a jump that you could make if you were on 125fps or higher, simply because the input checks happened more frequently, so my thinking here is that if you damage your weapon more often, presumably because of more active frame checks, on a corpse, you'd have a better chance of hitting an enemy successfully, particularly with multiple hit type weapons (channellers's staff).

I'm probably just talking out of my arse though.

You're not actually. People do report it's easier to dodge with 30fps, as if you had more iFrames. Probably because it checks less often on 30 fps. It's also supposedly much easier to perform jump attacks and guard breaks (on KB+M) if you run with 30fps - again, probably because game detects input on a slower rate, thus accepting a bigger gap between you pressing the keys.

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: May 21, 2014, 12:38:00 pm »
You're not actually. People do report it's easier to dodge with 30fps, as if you had more iFrames. Probably because it checks less often on 30 fps. It's also supposedly much easier to perform jump attacks and guard breaks (on KB+M) if you run with 30fps - again, probably because game detects input on a slower rate, thus accepting a bigger gap between you pressing the keys.

To be fair, I've had to create macros in order to do those because I can't move that fast.

With regards to iframes, I suppose it would be easier to dodge, since each frame counts for twice the time, viably. More time to react, plus more lenience due to less checks per movement... Either that or there is a set number of iframes you get when you dodge, and those are played out in a smaller physical time, since more frames are played out. My assumption on iframes though is that they are played at the start of the animation and the end, so when you go into the roll, and when you come out of it, and each increase gives you more on the head and tail.

I expect game-devs that read my posts would laugh going "hah-hah, look at that application dev trying to make assumptions! Amateur."

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 21, 2014, 01:19:25 pm »
It's just a case of game logic and graphics logic being poorly separated. DkS2 is no NFS Rivals though.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 21, 2014, 03:56:57 pm »
+10 everything at lvl 22 in pvp is just a terrible thing to do to anyone, only a truly horrible douche canoe would do such a thing. I had a ball.

I spent 1-2 hours being a dick lastnight in NG+ by getting summoned by the looking glass knight. The devs were extremely mean putting that mechanic in as he hits harder than any player will and if you know what you're doing it's impossible for the host to win.

After a certain point I just took my weapons off and put the ring on that made you look like a white phantom and spammed warmth, the host still died every time though.

I had heard about that discrepancy between 30 and 60 fps and it's kind of worrying that they would leave such an oversight in if it's true. I'm not sure I really expect much more from the game though in the way of patches and development though.

To harp to that familiar tune I don't understand why they would make an "overpowered"/borderline bugged weapon, even if it's supposed to be super secret and hard to find (in the age of the internet). Parry fishers and Havel's/Smelter heads are a joke but how am I supposed to dodge an attack between the netcode, the fact that the hitboxes don't match the model, and an attack that becomes active with little to no wind-up before hand when all weapons/spells have one?.
And how!

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #848 on: May 21, 2014, 04:43:56 pm »
+2
I am currently in the phase of constantly creating new characters to try out different builds/weapons. Tried a little magic just now but it is a fairly boring way to play, it mostly consists of kiting and blasting them..

Im kind of into lightning spear though, makes me feel Apollo'ish. Or zeus'ish :P
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #849 on: May 21, 2014, 05:43:35 pm »
(click to show/hide)

ooohh god laughed soo hard ahahahah

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #850 on: May 21, 2014, 06:05:23 pm »
So that is why my  80 durability weapon break faster than a fucking twig. I miss the good old times of Demon Souls and Dark Souls where weapons would hardly break on me. My 70 / 70 halberd almost broke down on the 3 skeleton boss alone ...

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 21, 2014, 06:28:14 pm »
So that is why my  80 durability weapon break faster than a fucking twig. I miss the good old times of Demon Souls and Dark Souls where weapons would hardly break on me. My 70 / 70 halberd almost broke down on the 3 skeleton boss alone ...

I've taken to switching out my weapons until I hit boss, just so that I don't break my heavy hitter before I really need it.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 21, 2014, 06:29:41 pm »
I've taken to switching out my weapons until I hit boss, just so that I don't break my heavy hitter before I really need it.

Yeah, I'm doing that + being REALLY careful that I don't perform extra swings after the target is dead. Just one swing after the target is dead and you can already see the bar drop by quite a bit.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 21, 2014, 06:48:37 pm »
+1
It's kinda funny to have more uses with magick than with weapons.

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 21, 2014, 06:55:50 pm »
So I decided to buy it today  :rolleyes:

Not sure what I will play as but from experience magic or 2H is exceptionally powerful so I will probs build one of them