Author Topic: NA Admins These Days...  (Read 3327 times)

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
Re: NA Admins These Days...
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 08:56:13 am »
+2
Clone me 14 times and you got the best admin team ever.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2013, 09:07:32 am »
Shame on you Tydeus, you were more well-respected than this, at least by me.
Then don't go down the easy road by taking things at face value and make assumptions and instead, start analyzing the situation properly, perhaps by questioning the intent.

I like how you mentioned how you'll stay an admin since chadz and CMP have to say otherwise--you're basically hiring behind your power and not admitting to any wrong doing.
I mentioned that because we have had similar discussions about the word "black in spanish" due to past bans dealing with "borderline offensive" matters. So I believe I know very well what the outcome there would be.

As to the statements made in game, I never bothered to look and see what team you were on, because it was a joke. I would never intentionally tk simply because someone thought "my old friendottini" was offensive or assumed that it meant my old friend. Look at my track record, I use this kind of language playfully with everyone, and I don't tk unless your name is Xol. Sure, they're my words and therefore it's my responsibility, but this idea that I was in a bad mood and thus was being aggressive, couldn't be further from the truth. It's more like the opposite where you began by insulting me with the assumption about the name. Which changes things significantly. It puts you as the aggressor, and as soon as you realize what you were insinuating with the statement that started this whole thing, the sooner you will realize you're not standing on any sort of moral high-ground.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 09:31:46 am by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2013, 09:46:23 am »
+2
Why not rename your character to pasta_e_my old friendioli?

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2013, 10:00:48 am »
Because I chose the names of pasta, not the names of dishes which consist of pasta, as my theme? Because the alternative is much less aesthetically appealing? Because I like the idea of single word character names? Because I would have to rename all of my other characters? Because it would mean there is something actually wrong with the name or word. Because that would mean that I had succumb to an inferior, irrational line of thinking.

He's arguing cultural intolerance with cultural intolerance.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2013, 10:35:11 am »
+7
ITT oversensitive internet people

PS I'm not sure how cmp will handle you hating his nation's dishes. I mean... they really like my old friendottinis there.

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2013, 12:15:33 pm »
+1
ITT oversensitive internet people
I am going to have to disagree here, since do not feel that this is about sensitivity of players. I do however feel this is about how an admin represents the community standards in the game, and this what they are : representatives of the community with tools to enforce and ensure a certain behavioral norms on servers, and thus should act accordingly on an adequate responsibility level - as an positive role model, at least in the majority of the time on servers - with naturally comming different behavioral restrictions than common player folks, since seeming is pretty much being in the internet.
Reading that chatlog i must admit that i did indeed find his choice of words rather strong, offensive, even intimidating (particulary for an admin) against a rather mild formulated player statement ( which would not make it feel more wrong if the player statement was very childish or rude ). Unless i may have missunderstood some very humorous context or linguistic detais - which is what Tydeus seems to be claiming (english is not my main language) - which could turn the overall picture around in that situation, it does indeed look somewhat offset to me.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:51:42 pm by Micah »
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2013, 01:04:20 pm »
+4
I guess I will stay somewhat neutral in this discussion.

Indeed the name "my old friendottini" seems misleading, and most people, me included, would think that it was chosen because of the first half of that word. And you can't expect people to know that your other names are pasta as well. And even this doesn't sound like a real excuse for it, because of all those hundreds of pasta types the Italians have, you somehow picked (among others) my old friendottini, and you can't tell me you were not aware of the implication this name has for English speaking people.

About that reaction to Tanken's statement: meh, it's trolling. I wouldn't say admins should be allowed to troll, but since the devs, inlcuding chadz and cmp, are the biggest trolls themselves, I fear we just have to accept a certain level of trolling in this community. But to be honest, I don't see it that tragic.

Since I understand Tank Burner's point, I guess my next nickname will be W.P. Hitler. He was a nephew of albert Hitler and was serving in the US Navy during WWII. He definitely was no Nazi, so no offense there. If people are supposed to know all kinds of pasta or the themes admins use for naming their characters, they can also be supposed to know the relatives of Adolf Hitler. I suppose it's the admin's problem then dealing with all the reports.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2013, 03:00:02 pm »
+5
As I see it, people are complaining that players that did nothing wrong are getting muted/kicked/banned for no reason whenever they say things that could be interpreted as racism by someone that wants to see it everywhere (read : lunatics like partyboy or smoothrich). Then when they see any admin with a similarly "borderline" name, they immediately assume it's because the admin hivemind applies a double standard.

Offline betard_lulz

• Count
  • Renown: 179
  • Infamy: 167
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2013, 03:05:11 pm »
As I see it, people are complaining that players that did nothing wrong are getting muted/kicked/banned for no reason whenever they say things that could be interpreted as racism by someone that wants to see it everywhere (read : lunatics like partyboy or smoothrich). Then when they see any admin with a similarly "borderline" name, they immediately assume it's because the admin hivemind applies a double standard.

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2013, 03:07:28 pm »
+1
I do however feel this is about how an admin represents the community standards in the game

I had to change my name to become admin.  But we all have to grow up at some point... :)

If I ever make an alt.  I am going to name him Baked Ziti.  No underlying meaning to it.  It just sounds delicious.

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2013, 04:32:21 pm »

Outrage meter is petering

I've had people construe what I type in game as me being angry, but I'm literally never angry or upset, I'm always in a good mood if I'm playing cRPG, or I'm not playing it.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2013, 04:46:15 pm »
+2
Don't even try it tank burner. You fucked up not knowing what my old friendotini is. Although my old friendotini told me to kill myself cause I jokingly called someone a nerd. Endpoint is: your both jerkoffs

Offline Johammeth

• King
  • Renown: 1077
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ConnectiKUTT
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2013, 04:50:52 pm »
+15
People expect more of you when you hold a position of power.

That's just the way the world works.

Like it or not, your admin privileges make you a leader in this community.  Your actions set standards of acceptable behavior and influence the game experience of everybody on the server.

-When an admin bans an intentional teamkiller, he lets everybody know that such behavior is unacceptable. This reduces the behavior and makes the game better for everyone
-When an admin is antagonistic, hurling insults and threatening to kill teammates, he lets everybody know that such behavior is acceptable. Others follow suit and the game just becomes unpleasant.

This isn't about censorship.
This isn't about suppressing your love for the starches of Italian cuisine.
This isn't about whether or not your choice of name is used to mask offensive language.

It's about holding an admin to a higher standard of behavior so that he is a positive influence on the community.

After all, what is an admin's job if not to improve the game experience of players on his server?

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2013, 04:52:19 pm »
+1
It actually wasn't even related to tanken, I was making fun of someone that used the word 'nerd' as an insult while playing a very nerdy game. This pretty much sums up the whole thread, honestly.

It was me you asshole. And that was the irony of calling zoidberg a nerd. Apparently after they make you an admin the remove your funnybone

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2013, 04:55:04 pm »
+1
Quote from: partyboy link=topic=50797.msg808833#msg808833 date=13716992.
You could always try to ask the devs to tighten up the rules on offensive names/language, but they're too busy putting on their grandfathers' SS uniforms in their basement muttering about something rising again.

Ya good point. Your crying about too many rules but want more added. Also  misconstrued is an error on the part of the person who construed. Nobody has to give a fuck you have no idea what a name means