Author Topic: Long Bow Buff  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
Re: Long Bow Buff
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 10:35:27 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 11:50:18 pm »
Frank... this would result in 89 less wpf worth of accuracy. Meaning that with 7 PD and 178 wpf, you would have the same exact effective accuracy with your version of the longbow as current 7 PD longbowman have at 1/2 the amount of wpf.

Edited for clarification.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:21:10 am by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 08:27:08 am »
+8
Increasing shot speed and decreasing accuracy is the complete opposite of my skill based ranged doctrine. With high projectile speed and wide spread it really becomes point&click with the randomisation actually helping those who can't even do that correctly. Then the melee blockheads would be actually right with their "ranged takes no skill" retarding. With high accu and low shot speed it puts at least those in advantage who can anticipate the enemy movement and get the ballistic arc right. I'd actually increase accuracy across the board for all ranged(with HX getting HA penalty) but that would make them lobbyist cry.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 05:47:26 pm »
+2
Paul why do you have to insult melee players all the time? Can't even talk about balance without these common insults
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline PanPan

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 70
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 05:54:58 pm »
I'm getting 2-3 shotted with 18 str 0 IF and +3 Black lammelar Vest by a longbow.

I don't think it needs a buff.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 06:15:03 pm »
+1
I'm getting 2-3 shotted with 18 str 0 IF and +3 Black lammelar Vest by a longbow.

I don't think it needs a buff.

Running at the archer, neutral speed, running away?  What kind of arrows were they using?  Were they loomed?  Was the long bow loomed?

I'm not saying the Long Bow needs a buff (I really don't think it does) but it's just funny seeing people bring their anecdotal evidence to these threads, and they don't even account for all the factors that goes into how much damage is dealt. 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 06:50:29 pm »
+2
Increasing shot speed and decreasing accuracy is the complete opposite of my skill based ranged doctrine. With high projectile speed and wide spread it really becomes point&click with the randomisation actually helping those who can't even do that correctly. Then the melee blockheads would be actually right with their "ranged takes no skill" retarding. With high accu and low shot speed it puts at least those in advantage who can anticipate the enemy movement and get the ballistic arc right. I'd actually increase accuracy across the board for all ranged(with HX getting HA penalty) but that would make them lobbyist cry.

I am quite happy to hear those words from a dev, as this is the way it should be IMO. BUT ...

I'd actually increase accuracy across the board for all ranged(with HX getting HA penalty) but that would make them lobbyist cry.

... why do you care ? Its "your" game isnt it ? This is one of the things I never understood about cRPG balance. You name it in this very post, you are not even talking about making ranged outright better. Instead you are talking about changes which would make things a bit more fair. Nobody likes random numbers that are magicly letting a perfectly executed shot miss all of a sudden for no apparent reason, still you choose to let it stay in the game because:

... that would make them lobbyist cry.

Which then again leads to the requirement of an inapprehensible high amount of WPF, in order to be able to make the shots your skill actually allows you to pull off.

Just why Paul, or whoever is responsible for the decision to wipe them retarded lobbyists asses even more, as a reward for their lobbying ?!

E: Heh, speaking of retarded lobbyists

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 08:34:28 pm by XyNox »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 07:16:35 pm »
I agree wholeheartedly with this

because obviously, when archery lobbyists complain their shots go only slightly faster than sound, that means projectile speed should be reduced across the board. Now seriously, buff aiming skill and buff dodging, that is, buff accuracy and nerf projectile speed. I think playing as archer is already quite skill based (although not my cup of tea personally), it's really the receiving end that lacks defensive countermeasures.

Also please end this myth that melee players complain because they are melee players.

Offline OttomanSniper

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 97
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Greek_OttomanSniper Roof_Monkey
  • IRC nick: _Sniper
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 07:58:55 am »
Get PD skill for xbow.

Offline Shaksie

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Double Thickshake
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2013, 09:10:39 am »
Frank this is yucky!
I'm 18/21 with a +3 Long Bow and +3 Bodkin Arrows and I do a fairly decent amount of damage, I kill Dutchy (I believe he has around 60 body armor and 70 hp) in 4 shots (which is a little silly though, 4 is more difficult than many people may think) and I occasionally 1 shot peasants in DTV.
The only issues I have with it are that it is VERY expensive (777g upkeep almost every single round, with 354 from Bodkins nearly as often has lost me 100k this gen) and the slow rate of fire means I have to time my shots and reloads in order to be able to get shots off in archer duels. However, it does a fairly substantial amount more damage than other bows, has very fast projectile speed which is key in my opinion, and the accuracy is nice.

Suggestion for archery, Paul:
I agree, I think ranged weapons need to be more accurate but this would make those that haven't actually tried it deem ranged weapons op.
In my opinion, having a reticule which is simply too large to hit enemies with is a little silly and involves too much luck. I suggest that ranged weapons should have near pinpoint accuracy but the aim should sway, and the sway should increase and perhaps the actual accuracy could decrease when the string has been held too long; this should be determined by the difference between the archer's strength and the bow used.
WPF could additionally to the increase in accuracy, reduce the amount the weapon sways. As could agility I suppose, but firing rate increase may in itself be enough.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 09:15:23 am by Shaksie »
VERY nice boy :)

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 10:27:13 am »

After massively limiting my WPF, wearing heavyish armour and packing 7PD I didn't notice a cut in the amount skill I need to land shots. What I did notice was that when I pulled the shot up I had bugger all time to release which forced me to use my eye and fire off instinct instead of plan out every shot like some arm chair bowmen wanna be :P

I do however agree with you that the accuracy should go way up.

I had an idea for how to make the bow system work, it's a ranged concept that won't work for anything else and so would require odd implementation. I'll try my best to explain it.

When you pull the string back on the bow the aiming retical begins wide, I'm talking very wide. Running shot gun wide. And then closes into the center, it meets at the center and at that point your shot is 100% perfectly accurate.  WPF has a curved impact on how quickly it makes it too the center and how long it holds, BUT!!! And this is what I think is the cool part even if you have 0 wpf you still get the window where the shot is perfect.

Now my idea is that the speed gradient is kind of exponential, with a little jump at the start. So it starts wide, quickly pushes in, slows down and then begins speeding up from there.

Pulling off a perfect shot with wpf should be at least as difficult as chambering (harder imo but that should give people and idea of the difficult I'm talking about. It's a fraction of a second when it's perfect.)

This would take archery off into the land of skill and timing in a very big way. You would have to judge the movement of your target against your draw time and then count flight time in as well, then aim without the retical and pull your shot together and release with out pissing about or thinking too hard. Think of that bad arse archer from the third season of GoT.

----

However, I still say, BUFF longbow.

I don't mind if the arrow speed doesn't go up but it really does need a freaking buff.

----

Totally off topic.

Buff crossbow, a lot and make the arb 3 slots as compensation for the increases in the crossbow.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(