Author Topic: Possible reason to buff archery  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Archivus

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 12
    • View Profile
Possible reason to buff archery
« on: June 11, 2013, 08:24:26 am »
Disclaimer: The following material is based solely on my speculations and perceptions.

What I percieve while playing battle mode:

- Most archers don't use priority targetting (instead of going for dangerous melee 2 handers or polearmers they rather shoot peasants/archers/other ranged classes presumably because they can't hurt the heavy armoured melee classes enough to make a difference.)

=> The heavy armoured non-shielder players can roam around unsuppressed early game, enough to close distance to the enemy infantry and start swinging. Since these players are the most effective vs infantry they will mostly come out on top in the main fight. I only mention the main fight here because it is often all that decides the outcome of the battle.

I think this is also why 2h is often portrayed as an OP class, simply because they don't/can't get suppressed good enough by their natural counter: the archer.

I know this is a controversial topic but I'm just trying to contribute, and of course I ask for your thoughts on the subject.  :rolleyes:

Note: there are always exceptional players like some archers that can completely annihilate armies but this post is about average players.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
Re: Possible reason to buff archery
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 08:32:08 am »
When I was an archer for a gen I aimed at anyone that looked vulnerable. Not vulnerable due to armor but being out in the open or something, or I would shoot the really skilled players without shields.

Then again I was using bodkins and a longbow so armor wasn't a biggy.

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 09:05:56 am »
+1
One of the problems is that getting valour for archery is almost impossible, thus landing 30+ shots on heavily armored opponents and getting say, 1 kill nets the same amount of points as targeting peasants and getting 3-4 kills. I'm sure if there was some sort of buff to points earned for being accurate and landing a high percentage of your shots this problem could be alleviated.
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 09:19:50 am »
One of the problems is that getting valour for archery is almost impossible, thus landing 30+ shots on heavily armored opponents and getting say, 1 kill nets the same amount of points as targeting peasants and getting 3-4 kills. I'm sure if there was some sort of buff to points earned for being accurate and landing a high percentage of your shots this problem could be alleviated.
This will be only hiding the truth. Archers have less impact on determining the outcome of a battle if they are doing less harm. No point system can fix that.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 10:16:24 am »
This will be only hiding the truth. Archers have less impact on determining the outcome of a battle if they are doing less harm. No point system can fix that.
But they wouldn't be doing less harm, they would just be getting less kills.
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."

Offline Panos

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 1319
  • Infamy: 551
  • cRPG Player
  • Hate for 2h kuyak my old friends.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guard
  • Game nicks: Varangian_Panos
  • IRC nick: Panos
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 10:19:25 am »
+1
I think this is also why 2h is often portrayed as an OP class, simply because they don't/can't get suppressed good enough by their natural counter: the archer.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 10:19:40 am »
+3
Maybe they could use the shot difficulty indicator that they use in Warband singleplayer, but use it in calculating points for archery. Like how much damage you did, from how far away, and where you hit him.

Offline Ulter

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Duke_Henry_HRE
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 03:26:18 pm »
+2
The thing that frustrates me most when I play as an archer is that you can make either damage or money.
Either the cost of bodkin arrows should be reduced, or damage of other arrows incresed.

Offline Falcom

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 8
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Falcom_von_Krems
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 03:33:00 pm »
+1
Archery really need a buff (im not and i hate archer)

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 03:40:24 pm »
Huehuehue buff archery huehuehue  :lol:
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Prinz_Karl

• Earl
  • Renown: 383
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Fridericus_II
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 03:50:10 pm »
You forgot to mention the fact that archers don't interact in melee and have an absolute advantage on distance, which  is unfair in a multiplayer game, so there's a reason that they are nerfed and "not liked by devs".

Give them better melee capabilities to solve this but don't buff or nerf ranged alone.

Offline sF_Guardian

• Marshall
  • Renown: 738
  • Infamy: 254
  • cRPG Player
  • In honour of Pepe the kindest baguette
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sad Hobo Guild, Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Peso, Dondergod, Hobo_loves_Pepe, Ras_Putin_the_stronk, FrenchBow_le_tarlouze, Forrest_Trump...
  • IRC nick: Peso
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 03:52:13 pm »
Its a clear fact that ranged classes have a massive disadvantage at getting valour.
And noone can tell me that melee is harder than archery, just try it out.
I don't want to give a feedback to molly neither i want to ban him,I wanted to give advise high authorities to take his admin rights.Panos you monkey wrench where would u put this topic enlighten me you cancer fuck.

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 04:01:43 pm »
+4
One of the problems is that getting valour for archery is almost impossible...
We all know that archers are valourous warriors that never flee. Always picking up the fight... Such bravery can't remain unrewarded. Gief valour to all archers!

Skyrim UI

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 04:34:50 pm »
+2
OP manages to be spot on the opposite of the truth, if that is at all possible.

Archers like to shoot people that are easy to hit. Which means not too far and easy to predict. Everything else but that and self-defense is secondary.

Melee players that by definition can't allocate their whole attention to things that can be very far away do not always see there's an archer and for this reason do not always move erratically. Conversely, archers make terrible archer targets because they can keep aware of their distant surroundings. You don't see any archer shooting another archer unless there's no choice.

By the way, this renders the whole "hide under imaginary cover so your team can kill the archers for you" argument moot, but I guess people will keep using it like "get a shield".

Offline sF_Guardian

• Marshall
  • Renown: 738
  • Infamy: 254
  • cRPG Player
  • In honour of Pepe the kindest baguette
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sad Hobo Guild, Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Peso, Dondergod, Hobo_loves_Pepe, Ras_Putin_the_stronk, FrenchBow_le_tarlouze, Forrest_Trump...
  • IRC nick: Peso
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 04:56:47 pm »
We all know that archers are valourous warriors that never flee. Always picking up the fight... Such bravery can't remain unrewarded. Gief valour to all archers!

This misses the point. The point is that the valour system exists to reward exceptionally good players with some xtra xp and gold.
I don't see why a good ranged shouldn't be rewarded but a 2H who STR crutches and goes full plate spamming zerg should be.
I don't want to give a feedback to molly neither i want to ban him,I wanted to give advise high authorities to take his admin rights.Panos you monkey wrench where would u put this topic enlighten me you cancer fuck.