Author Topic: The best suggestion for horse ranged!  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: The best suggestion for horse ranged!
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 07:30:40 pm »
Never said they were UP.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 07:39:12 pm »
Never said they were UP.
So, if horsethrowers aren't UP compared to HA/HX, how in goats fucking name is nerfing HA thus shitting up horseranged balance a good idea?
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 07:57:09 pm »
Sorry , but imo pretty poor solution gameplay-wise tbh, and not near to be the "best sollutioin", considering there are quite interresting and good other ideas out there.
Its a mere nerf without insight in the balance system and consequences of changes.
The idea is to make classes more fun to play and not to nerf them to death  (talking of : all classes in the game) :wink:
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 09:20:07 pm »
Because basically I don't think reducing the ammo would be necessarily nerfing those classes, if there is another compensation on the table.

What ammo influences is, the time those classes can stay away from melee combat (if they are avoiding the melee cavalry well). with 3 stacks of bodkin arrows, it was 48 ammunition. A very high amount for a class that is also moving very fast if you ask me. 2 stacks of bodkins with a melee weapon would make it 32. With my suggestion, they would be having 24 and 16. It is still pretty enough for a skirmisher class.

That is why I made this suggestion and why I think it is the best way to go. Removing the ability of horse archer classes to be the mounted foot archer. This suggestion would make them more of a skirmishers now, because you can't balance a class that has the speed of a horse and the shooting power of a bow/crossbow; as said by someone else that I don't remember of his name.

Think of it like this. The most classified Horse Archer build is:
(click to show/hide)

However with the addition of removal of Horse Archery skill penalty to wpf. You can easily make something like this.
(click to show/hide)

Jackie's 15/18 build could have been even more useful. If you want, you can stick with the old 15/24 build as well. I remember using a military hammer with 30 wpf and 0 ps with that and 5 riding. It was pretty useful. Not to mention it would be actually easier with 7 riding.

By the way updated the first post a bit (that's what feedbacks are for eh?). Made it even more in favor of horse archers, since their ammo seemed a bit low for their effectiveness. It's 2/3 for arrows and 1/2 for bolts now. Which makes 10+1 bodkins, 12+1 for tatars and 14+1 for barbed (rounded down). Weight and prices are still halved down for arrows. Bolt quivers are the same because 6+1 per quiver is more than enough for Horse crossbows to be effective since their damage output is higher and it is easier for horse crossbowman to hybridize with melee. Horse Throwers are untouched because they are not an UP class as says zlisch aka. the faithful defender of horse throwers.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:23:54 pm by Ronin »
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 09:53:36 pm »
Nerfing HA/HX the slightest with your "compensation" is silly, the compensation would also be removing the HA wpf nerf from horsethrowers, so you'd still fuck up balance.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 03:50:33 pm »
Do you seriously think that will make Horsethrowing Overpowered?

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 04:58:00 pm »

I don't think you have enough experience with Horse Throwing to seriously ask that question.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 07:47:58 pm »
Best fix for everybody is to change flag mechanics on battle, seige doesn't have a ranged delaying problem because the goal isn't to kill every single person on the other team, you can ignore kiting archers/heros and just go to the flags. Make flags pop out earlier on Battle mode and all this delaying whine will be mute. The upside is that you don't have to worry about ruining balance between classes which is mostly fine despite all the said whine.

QFT. If you are sick of delaying ranged cav on battle, come to siege where everyone dies like a man. You can basically ignored the ranged, as they don't really affect the outcome of the battle. The most annoying class on siege is maulers, but they are relatively rare.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 07:49:15 pm »

I made a STF Javalry, played for like 4 hours and didn't get a single kill from throwing while mounted (unless I stopped the horse, which kills the point). Must underpowered class for sure (even pugilists do better).

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 07:57:44 pm »
+5
HX will get the HA skill penalty and HT will lose it next patch.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2013, 08:05:03 pm »
HX will get the HA skill penalty and HT will lose it next patch.
If HT loses it then HA should as well, I'm all for HX getting it cause fuck HX, but still.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 08:15:10 pm »
Overpowered? Nope, it'll however be unfair to horsearchers, just like buffing horsearchers to "counter hx" is a shitty idiotic pisspoor idea as it fucks over ht and breaks the balance slightly there. Horsearchery/horsethrowing is balanced with eachother atm, HX is slightly out of line, shitting up HT/HA in the name of "some idiotic goal that won't be accomplished that way" is a bad idea.
I don't think you have enough experience with Horse Throwing to seriously ask that question.
Have you ever played dedicated horsethrower? (you're correct though)
I made a STF Javalry, played for like 4 hours and didn't get a single kill from throwing while mounted (unless I stopped the horse, which kills the point). Must underpowered class for sure (even pugilists do better).
Then you're doing it wrong, and using javs (they suck).

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 08:42:00 pm »
Then you're doing it wrong, and using javs (they suck).

I was using +3 Jarids, but "Jaridavalry" doesn't sound as cool as "javalry". And doing it wrong in the sense that you should stop moving to throw? That kills the fun of tossing a bulls eye from a full gallop (which admitted I never actually accomplished, but I bet it's fun!).

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 09:06:11 pm »
I was using +3 Jarids, but "Jaridavalry" doesn't sound as cool as "javalry". And doing it wrong in the sense that you should stop moving to throw? That kills the fun of tossing a bulls eye from a full gallop (which admitted I never actually accomplished, but I bet it's fun!).
I've done horsethrowing longer than all other people I've ever seen in this mod, I don't know how you're doing it, but I don't have a serious problem like what you're claiming, neither with my unloomed throwing spears or my unloomed throwing lances, I can headshot lancers riding on the other side of an open field occasionally, I can onehit all armored cavalry charging at me, I can kill HA and HX, I can defeat the average ground archer in a one on one without bumping, I can one or twohit most guys with throwing lances as long as I'm riding fullspeed and they're standing still/moving towards me, it really isn't that horribly underpowered (is much weaker on servers that lack wse2 though).