Poll

Do you think that something should be done with Longswords and Heavy Bastard Swords?

Take them out
2 (3.6%)
Buff them
9 (16.1%)
Nerf Them
27 (48.2%)
Buff other 2h decreasing the number of double swinging sissies
10 (17.9%)
My picture is amazing
8 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: June 12, 2013, 07:11:40 pm

Author Topic: Longswords & Heavy Bastard Swords  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
Re: Longswords & Heavy Bastard Swords
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2013, 04:45:51 am »
+4
      The internal balance for 2hers is just plain bad. You see a myriad of one handers (some use blunt/pierce, many use swords, at least a couple use the axes), and a decent variety of polearms in use (pikes/long spears, hoplite spears, the swingable ones, the 2d awlpike-esque ones). What you don't see are 2h axes/bardiches, 2h blunt, or any of the medium to long swords in comparison to the bastard sword line.

What needs to happen is an inclusion of more/unique 2hers, and a balance overhaul of 2h as a class. At the moment, the superior animations of 2hers coupled with the speed and generous damage output due not only to stats but also to speed bonus/ player techniques makes the bastard sword line the ultimate weapon for most combat situations the crpg-er will run into. In a group fight, you can effectively side swing, stab, and overhead. When faced with a shielder, most times you can out-speed them with double hits, out manouver them with footwork and reach, and throw out a kick if you're confident. Any one on one situation will tip the balance in the favor of the 2h bastard sword user. The 2her's mortal enemy, ranged, can be easily overcome by using a small shield.

At the moment, there's no real reason for a 2h player to choose a weapon outside of the bastard sword class, unless they are going for a niche application. You don't necessarily have to nerf the bastard sword class, but please fix the 2h weapon selection.

This isn't really true, I'm a long time 2hander who likes the longsword but use a couple others. Namely, on cav maps, open maps, or when fighting with a group I prefer great swords (GS or German GS) so I can play more of a support role, stabbing all horses and killstealing in the linefights with more stabs.  On super dense maps with high population I like throwing on heavy armor and using a Bar Mace, nothing causes more havoc than that sweet thing with its high knockdown chance and damage (though 1handed blunt seems pretty freakin OP nowadays). Lately I started using a Morning Star because, once again, I think its far superior for killstealing in group battles and dispatches the higher threat enemies (probably other fully armored 2handers lol) with less hits.

If you noticed I actually have a Bardiche but I think its not that good compared to the polearm ones. Its too slow and short and the 2hand animations don't seem to work as well as the polearm ones for long, slow, high damage cut swing weapons. I'd prefer a Poleaxe or Long Bardiche anyday to the 2hand axes, since the right swing is so effective and damage/wonky animation so good.

I think the Longsword is honestly pretty trash in line battles or against heavy armored players. So its honestly not very good at strat anymore. Its only effective if you are surrounded by enemies or forcing 1vs1s, when you have any sort of facehugger shielder, hoplite, or piker in your grill the bastard swords are simply too short and weak to really shine.

Also the Miadao fits every complaint people have about bastard swords, except its longer and way more damaging.  That is a weapon that is way better than anything else in its class and needs a look at. Its simply not as popular as LS.

Basically the LS is good on battle against medium armor targets or unorganized flanker play, but I don't think it shines as much as often as great swords (which are ridiculous when used properly)
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline pepejul

• Master-At-Arms
  • King
  • Renown: 1611
  • Infamy: 495
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • PEPE INSIDE
    • View Profile
    • http://alkislarlayasiyorum.com/icerik/60166/pepee-pepee-cok-uzuluyor
  • Faction: Pecores / Krems / hobo in the heart forever
  • Game nicks: something with PEPE inside
  • IRC nick: Pepejul
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2013, 09:58:55 am »
+2
Maybe a morning bastard broad hafted spiked longsword needed ? (throwing one ofc)
I LOVE YOU, ADMINS !

Offline Sir_Wonka

• Count
  • Renown: 235
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Free Sloths of Calradia
  • Game nicks: EggoWaffle_The_Sloth
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2013, 03:57:45 pm »
Maybe a morning bastard broad hafted spiked longsword needed ? (throwing one ofc)
I think this man is on to something

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2013, 07:03:49 pm »
+1
Should also be Great and Italian

Offline pepejul

• Master-At-Arms
  • King
  • Renown: 1611
  • Infamy: 495
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • PEPE INSIDE
    • View Profile
    • http://alkislarlayasiyorum.com/icerik/60166/pepee-pepee-cok-uzuluyor
  • Faction: Pecores / Krems / hobo in the heart forever
  • Game nicks: something with PEPE inside
  • IRC nick: Pepejul
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2013, 07:24:36 pm »
Should also be Great and Italian

I m both !

Ciao, mi chiamo pepe...voli mangare la pizza con me ?
I LOVE YOU, ADMINS !

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2013, 07:38:05 pm »
Pezzo di merda ! (only thing I can say in Italian)

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2013, 11:48:08 am »
+3
I support nerfing HBS and longsword.

I have and have used my +3 HBS after the buff. It was easy mode.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2013, 12:57:39 pm »
+2
Imo a tiny speed nerf on both, a really really tiny one, is all there is needed for them to be somewhat in line with other 2hs.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.