Author Topic: [NEW] Commander Mode  (Read 10339 times)

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: [NEW] Commander Mode
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2013, 01:50:09 pm »
Looking through the thread there are plenty of people who agree with me  :rolleyes:

Same applies to them. "You" is also plural. It's pointless to argue, this is a fundamental difference in opinion.
Don't.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2013, 01:50:19 pm »
+1
I actually believe commanders could and should fight.. But only with GREAT risk.

If you die, your troops flee. Also, there should not be possible to be a lancer or even sword and board cav.

Perhaps the armor should be some kind of rich mans outfit? It's just a question of getting the risk of combat high enough. Heck even bumping enemy bots have some power already..

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2013, 02:00:47 pm »
Why not mimic whats in NW (again) ?

In NW, everyone wears tissue armor (no armor, bullets and swords mostly one shot).

Give the commander a very light (but cool looking) armor, and he will stay away from the fight due to being ridiculously easy to kill (also will lower repair cost which is astounding in Commander Mode).
Give him a simple one-handed sword so he can defend himself and kill a few bots but very light armor + average short 1H = you're no hero.

This + the Backspace Order Panel and you get a mode where you can :

- position your troops accurately
- give multiple orders at a glance
- have some personal action
- fear death

Since other commanders would have weapons, you have to protect yourself from them by staying around friendly bots.
Atm you can ride around the map freely, you can only fear a stray shot to the head.

You often encounter enemy commanders and you can only fist pump them, there is no fear in "meeting the enemy". If everyone has a sharp tool at their disposal you could see some Epic Duel that would have a big impact on the battlefield (forcing the enemy bots into fewer and fewer alive commanders's hands to minimize their capacity to do tactics, or find some other penalty when the commander dies).

Then, like chadz, I agree that its a big risk to add weapons due to humans knowing their way around the AI capacity to defend himself...

But I'm sure that we can find a counter-weight to that, or just learn to use the AI to counter such an offensive capacity (I love focusing archer fire on unwary commanders...).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 02:05:37 pm by Butan »

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2013, 02:06:17 pm »
+10
No weapons.
I understand why some of you like it, but maybe this is just not the gamemode for it.
What the game turns into when people have weapons:

People rush, try to kill a few bots right at spawn. Other commanders now have to try to kill other players to defend their bots. The whole focus moves away from the commanding, and instead on "who can use his own skills to shift the favor in his side". It would be battle with a few players and 300 bots. That's not the point of it. I'm not saying it's a bad suggestion, or that it would be a bad gamemode. Just not what this gamemode is about.

So no, weapons will never be part of it. It's simply not your gamemode then. Try DTV.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2013, 02:11:01 pm »
+1
I actually believe commanders could and should fight.. But only with GREAT risk.

If you die, your troops flee. Also, there should not be possible to be a lancer or even sword and board cav.

Perhaps the armor should be some kind of rich mans outfit? It's just a question of getting the risk of combat high enough. Heck even bumping enemy bots have some power already..

Either that or native campaign where dying makes them all auto charge pretty much screwing up any tactical play.

No weapons.
I understand why some of you like it, but maybe this is just not the gamemode for it.
What the game turns into when people have weapons:

People rush, try to kill a few bots right at spawn. Other commanders now have to try to kill other players to defend their bots. The whole focus moves away from the commanding, and instead on "who can use his own skills to shift the favor in his side". It would be battle with a few players and 300 bots. That's not the point of it. I'm not saying it's a bad suggestion, or that it would be a bad gamemode. Just not what this gamemode is about.

So no, weapons will never be part of it. It's simply not your gamemode then. Try DTV.

Out of curiosity where have you seen this happen? Because I've rarely seen that the case. I certainly understand the theory but my experience of other commander modes has never been anything remotely like that.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2013, 02:13:07 pm »
+3
Heck even bumping enemy bots have some power already..

I actually think that if possible the bots should be set to be immune to bumps by players, and maybe even to completely ignore players unless they're in the flag zone. It's indeed quite easy to influence the battle by distracting them.
Don't.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2013, 02:16:09 pm »
Then I suggest a special commander horse that does 0 bump damage and/or rears each time he encounters an obstacle.
Since you can also use bots's horses, would be cool if it was possible that whatever horse you pick, you still got these horses "nerf" on your player; so you have really 0 tool to influence the outcome of the battle.
(click to show/hide)

Also the repair bill is a bit high, I dont know for others but I would gladly exchange the gothic plate and 2K5 bill; for a light armor and the probable chance to get one shot (this would remove most of the drawing fire/charge to your commander by moving around enemies bots).

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 02:21:51 pm by Butan »

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2013, 02:16:53 pm »
I actually think that if possible the bots should be set to be immune to bumps by players, and maybe even to completely ignore players unless they're in the flag zone. It's indeed quite easy to influence the battle by distracting them.

Very easy. You can lead almost an entire unit away by making them follow you.

Offline Chris_the_Animal

• Duke
  • Renown: 663
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Chris
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2013, 02:21:22 pm »
I like the suggestion of 1 minute of scouting the map and figuring out a tactic with the other commanders.

So your bots spawn after 1 minute and then the battle starts, but before that you can run around with your horse and scout the map and talk to your commander mates.
Bros never die!

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2013, 02:23:20 pm »
Spam mode activated :

Backspace Order Panel is copyrighted or can we hope to see it soon ?  :P
Without the radar if possible, that ruins the surprise element of most battle...

But having a map where you can click "hold position there" is a definite win.
Sometimes you cant be with your commander where you want your troops to hold.
Then I can understand that having to move your commander accordingly to where you want to lead your troops is one of the biggest skill that this commander mode requires.

Only problem is, when you lead multiple troops type, you cant do it efficiently if you need to move them all at once, limiting the "arc" of strategies a bit.
With the current orders possibilities, it is BEST to focus one troop type and to play it very well with other players.
Question would be then : do we want to buff one-troop type commander or allow multiple troops type commander fights to defend themselves as well as the rest ?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 02:30:24 pm by Butan »

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2013, 02:25:40 pm »
+1
Why do you want backspace to get implemented, I personally find it game breaking and never use it in singleplayer. Of course I do not hold any grudge against it in singleplayer, since it is a sandbox gamemode there. In multiplayer however, if you implement a perfect radar; it would be unwise to not use it.

I believe it is more challenging to depend on your own eyes and observations during the battlefield. You are the commander after all, not a superhuman who can have the full picture of the battlefield. It makes it both more realistic and challenging (in a very good way).
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2013, 02:27:50 pm »
Why do you want backspace to get implemented, I personally find it game breaking and never use it in singleplayer. Of course I do not hold any grudge against it in singleplayer, since it is a sandbox gamemode there. In multiplayer however, if you implement a perfect radar; it would be unwise to not use it.

I believe it is more challenging to depend on your own eyes and observations during the battlefield. You are the commander after all, not a superhuman who can have the full picture of the battlefield. It makes it both more realistic and challenging (in a very good way).

Well he did say without the radar. I could agree with that because hiding cavalry and stuff is a great tactic for this mode.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2013, 02:28:52 pm »
+1
I believe it is more challenging to depend on your own eyes and observations during the battlefield.

I agree, but there is room for improvement on this matter.

Also a "blank map" (without allies or enemies position or topography) would give only the "hold position there" possibility without giving any insight of whats happening on the battlefield at all; you will still have to rely on what you see yourself !  :D

Offline tkn123

• Baron
  • Renown: 97
  • Infamy: 13
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Shagga
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2013, 03:03:19 pm »
+1
I think an important issue is the combat effectiveness of the Nord scouts. They basically lose against everyone.
There only use would be to run down fleeing soldiers like in total war as there useless at everything else.
Could you implement 'flee the battlefield' like what happens on native?

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2013, 04:34:32 pm »
+3
Give commanders champion courser, plain soldiers have spirited destriers and I have plain courser? Outrage!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login