Author Topic: [NEW] Commander Mode  (Read 10800 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: [NEW] Commander Mode
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2013, 12:26:01 pm »
+3
Using your own char with weapons in Commander mode is like being able to strike individual troops in Total War with lightning.
This is true, it would remove all focus from maneuvering and tactics and shift the focus to who can strike down the most troops in the least time. The simple fact that the only way you can influence the battle is by your commanding pretty much makes the mode. Actually you can influence the battle by bumping. I have actually won one round solely through bumping. It came down to like an 8 vs 15 and my 8 won due to me keeping them together and consistently bumping anyone who attacked them. That is more than enough, any addition of weapons makes you too large a force for tactics to matter. Can we get some more protection from ranged though? Rhodok sharpshooters at a 100 m distance, hit my horse twice, hit me twice, and I'm dead. I lead my cavalry in a charge at sharpshooters, bam shot in the head, my cavalry derps out. Kinda ruins the entire round. A shield perhaps?

Has anything been done to flags with the hotfix? Flags are too easy to cap, which basically means that the army that is closest to the flag wins, because it only takes about a minute to raise it and if your troops are a 100 m further away than the enemies, you lose. There is basically no fight on the flag, it's just whoever gets there first. Which has lead me to always take the center of the map as my position, with some success, but I think it would be more fun to have a flag that takes at least twice as long to cap, so you actually have time to use your troops to battle over control over the flag.

Edit: Nevermind, the flags spawn in between the two teams, excellent.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:55:54 pm by Teeth »

Offline Royans

• Knight
  • Renown: 77
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2013, 12:42:18 pm »
- A bigger timer at start would be appreciate imo, u need more time to talk with ppl about what to take as troops and strategy

- Banner balance to play with ur friend while on Teamspeak  would be a big +1. ( Still i know ppl gonna QQ about this, but thats the point, its a fucking teamplay mod, maybe even more than  crpg itself, and its not about personal fighting skill )

- A commander without troops should get "stun" or "kill" something like that, i nearly lose a battle ( i had still 40+ troops, he had nothing left exept his own horse to run ), flag were really far from my troops, and this battle ended as the first one who would reach the flag to win. he could have won this, even if i had won the battle, just because he could have reach the flag before ( just for 1s would have been enough ) , and no any way to fight him there.

- And please, please, please, delete those fully mountain map or at least reduce the number of it in the rotation, there's nothing more enjoyable than a big battle on plain. Mountain in this mod is just about the one who's gonna reach it the top first and wait, its just shit...

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:54:55 pm by Royans »

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2013, 12:49:08 pm »
+3
Commanders using weapons works great in NW. I really don't see the issue  :|
They dont use Melee in NW(much) and its more straightforward. But in Warband/crpg melee is a huge portion of the game. In NW a ramboing commander gets shot in the face by a musketvolley, also the melee is rather more raw there(mainly 2d, due to muskets having 2d meleeattacks), the lack of skills the bots posess dont show as often. Here however Backpedalramboing results in you killing most of the other teams bots without much effort. You die alot more unexpectedly in NW cause you never know which of the 100 bots infront of you has a loaded musket that could kill you in one shot.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:52:52 pm by TiberiusX »

Offline Lannistark

• Duke
  • Renown: 586
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Duke
« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2013, 12:59:32 pm »
+1
Thing is in napoleonic wars melee is not as important. You basically have linebattles in which you get involved with a rifle, which is far more fun as you command the firing orders of the bots. You feel like a true Napoleon in the game.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2013, 01:01:53 pm »
+2
NW has better comander mode indeeed, bots are so stupd here, they turn their backs to archers only cuz cavalry comes from other side and is a little bit closer
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2013, 01:11:37 pm »
I agree with no weapons. It's just how the mode should work.

I like how you can involve yourself, helping your troops by bumping enemy soldiers. It's a bit risky, but it does help your team, even if by a little. A nice risk/reward choice.

If people want more survivability, why not add the nudge feature? You can stun bots, giving you time to move away, or perhaps even use it to kill it by keeping it stunned, so that your own soldiers can kill it.

We can also use those advanced commands. Formations, telling them what kind of weapons they should use, etc. Is that possible?

Oh, and the backspace map for Native? Can we disable seeing the enemy troops on that map, so we can still use it for tactics?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 01:20:09 pm by Polobow »

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2013, 01:11:50 pm »
Using your own char with weapons in Commander mode is like being able to strike individual troops in Total War with lightning.

Not really. Limit people's stats somewhat and hand them a weapon. Medieval commanders often did fight in their own battles.

This is true, it would remove all focus from maneuvering and tactics and shift the focus to who can strike down the most troops in the least time. The simple fact that the only way you can influence the battle is by your commanding pretty much makes the mode. Actually you can influence the battle by bumping. I have actually won one round solely through bumping. It came down to like an 8 vs 15 and my 8 won due to me keeping them together and consistently bumping anyone who attacked them. That is more than enough, any addition of weapons makes you too large a force for tactics to matter. Can we get some more protection from ranged though? Rhodok sharpshooters at a 100 m distance, hit my horse twice, hit me twice, and I'm dead. I lead my cavalry in a charge at sharpshooters, bam shot in the head, my cavalry derps out. Kinda ruins the entire round. A shield perhaps?

Has anything been done to flags with the hotfix? Flags are too easy to cap, which basically means that the army that is closest to the flag wins, because it only takes about a minute to raise it and if your troops are a 100 m further away than the enemies, you lose. There is basically no fight on the flag, it's just whoever gets there first. Which has lead me to always take the center of the map as my position, with some success, but I think it would be more fun to have a flag that takes at least twice as long to cap, so you actually have time to use your troops to battle over control over the flag.

Edit: Nevermind, the flags spawn in between the two teams, excellent.

I disagree. In NW it doesn't end up like that. By far the best way of getting a high KDR in NW commander mode is taking arty and shooting all the lines to pieces. But very few people do it because they don't give a crap about their score as all bot kills/deaths go in the scoreboard. The fact that would even be a reason for doing that in CRPG is indicative of the community some what.

Besides, you have a high chance of taking a bunch of xbow bolts or arrows if you just charge around trying to kill people.

I simply see no harm in handing someone a sword in this.

Anyway other things I've noticed are:

- Motf...not sure about this. Whilst it does spawn at the half way point it often leads to the inevitable, charge all bots and try and get to the flag situation. Which entirely detracts from this mode.
- Longer spawn time. By the time it tells you how many people have picked what, you've pretty much missed the spawn.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 01:20:12 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2013, 01:19:13 pm »
Maybe simply because dying has no real effect, but taking down 15 troops of the enemy before you die will have a vast effect?
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2013, 01:21:39 pm »
Hence why I said limit the stats people have a bit. I just feel having no weapon at all both looks stupid and feels stupid.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2013, 01:22:17 pm »
Your mind and your commands are your weapons.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2013, 01:23:51 pm »
Your mind and your commands are your weapons.

All very well if the bots weren't utterly retarded. But this mode isn't exactly rocket science and currently is largely down to which faction you happen to get.

Offline Lannistark

• Duke
  • Renown: 586
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Duke
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2013, 01:30:11 pm »
Change the system so it's not like in native where a team is forced to pick this, that and that. Create classes or whatever that can only be picked once by each player.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2013, 01:30:50 pm »
+1
I just feel having no weapon at all both looks stupid and feels stupid.

And the rest of us feel it would be even more stupid if you could kill enemy bots. You can disagree, but you can't really argue.
Don't.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2013, 01:44:43 pm »
And the rest of us feel it would be even more stupid if you could kill enemy bots. You can disagree, but you can't really argue.

Looking through the thread there are plenty of people who agree with me  :rolleyes:

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2013, 01:46:42 pm »
All very well if the bots weren't utterly retarded. But this mode isn't exactly rocket science and currently is largely down to which faction you happen to get.
Its currently in the testing. As in there is more great things to come I presume.

But honestly, I really dont see promise in this game mode, not with this gameengine anyway. Imo this time and resource could have been used to improve conquest or make fortress mode happen or something like that. And here is why:

Commanding in Total War is fun cause there is always a spectacle and troops are easly controllable. M&B has a complex meleecombatsystem, which is good for PvP but utterly shit for Ai fighting. There is no person on the planet that could code a proper Ai for M&B.  The whole shiny point of Warband and why it was popular in the first place was due to the fact that you were in the action, not some dude ontop of a horse in plate scratching his bum and yelling braindead troops to walk forward.  I wouldnt say anything bad if the Ai was good and stuff would be interesting. But its not. When the Ai clash it turns into a massive clusterfuck thats really not even entertaining anymore, due to the fact I bet most of us have played campaign of atleast like 15 different mods... Do any of you see any promise in this at all? Like entertainmentvalue for more than 1 month tops? I mean we could get the customizable troop trees and other stuff but would that really add anything to the mod in general? MW is an exception, it has different sellingpoints, that somewhat work for Ai.
I mean its a good change of pase yea, but is there any point of having the mod at all if you just get bored after like 1 hour of playing? I personally am extremely bored after 15 minutes...I dont feel like I accomplished a damn thing when my team wins, even if my squad kicked most ass.

Is it just me?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 01:51:19 pm by TiberiusX »