Author Topic: [NEW] Commander Mode  (Read 10340 times)

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: [NEW] Commander Mode
« Reply #150 on: May 20, 2013, 12:35:33 pm »
Dont forget that the AI behavior is hard to "control"...
The cav is particularly bad to play because they have a hard time couching and if they are still mounted, against infantry, they will try to thrust lances without speed, in close quarters combat...

Best tactic for cavalry is to make them follow you, and you pass behind the enemy squad you want to attack: making the cavalry effectively bump the enemy.
When you have sufficiently "surrounded them" with bots, press charge, wait a few sec, and tell them to follow you again and do a bump charge again, or make them dismount and fight (because they are way better at foot most of the time).

Personally I just control them with move orders, it keeps them in formation. After each charge, once they start to split up or generally faff about too much, I regroup them with a move order, get them to where I want them to be, then order them to charge again. With cavalry this generally needs to be done more frequently.
Don't.

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #151 on: May 20, 2013, 12:39:48 pm »
Archers are very weak due to crpg mechanics. Will need better bows and massive wpf to compensate.

If you spawn slightly later, you get no army

And make cav groups smaller (about 66-75%)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 01:15:17 pm by Haboe »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #152 on: May 20, 2013, 01:48:22 pm »
Flagwin bug, losing team gets multi after losing the flag...

Offline Arthur_

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 557
  • Infamy: 148
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Arthur
« Reply #153 on: May 20, 2013, 02:29:18 pm »
While their cavalry is nearly useless, and their range  r so bad compare to any sharpshooter. so u want to nerf the only thing nord have? xD

No royans, nord archers vs. sharpshooters are actually the same and since they are also good in meele nords are the leading faction, sarrinds for example got only cav and maybe archers, but infantry.. meh..

Jackie who?

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #154 on: May 20, 2013, 02:59:55 pm »
I found sharpshooters decimated the archers. Cav is definitely unbalanced though. I actually found Swadians the strongest though. That cav just ripped through everyone I fought with.

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No good deed goes unpunished
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Everkistus
  • IRC nick: Everkistus
« Reply #155 on: May 20, 2013, 03:02:58 pm »
+1
I used to decimate bot armies with mamelukes in native SP. I'd still say the sarranids have the strongest cav units.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #156 on: May 20, 2013, 03:31:34 pm »
I used to decimate bot armies with mamelukes in native SP. I'd still say the sarranids have the strongest cav units.

I'd say the same about swadian knights and I had a head on head battle with another guy, both of us straight charged our cav each other and his sarrinid cav were slaughtered by my men at arms. I still had most of my cav force left.

Offline Conquisitore

• Count
  • Renown: 271
  • Infamy: 74
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kingdom of Balde
  • Game nicks: Kohl_Koepfer, Conquisitore, Hora, Vincent, Lasterfahrer, Kanzler
« Reply #157 on: May 20, 2013, 04:00:44 pm »
Hey,
if i join one of the servers sometimes this error appears and also if the map changes:

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #158 on: May 20, 2013, 04:20:27 pm »
I doubt any devs even read this and most likely came to the inspiration for this on their own or from NW commander mode, but I'm still going to take credit for it.

If we're talking ground up remake, I say something like NW commander mode battles with bots. A system more like Warband singleplayer. Make physical presence on the map matter, allow other players to join your "army" or caravan or whatever, every player is a commander that control his own squad of troops. Different troop trees and equipment depending on location. Formations, orders and terrain matter so much more when it's bots fighting, this would turn Strat battles into more of a tactical rts than a battlemode with respawns, with players in the role of commanders. Gigantic armies in formation would be epic if only for the visual.
It would probably require many different servers and a ton of work, or only a few people would get to play battles everyday. And I'm not sure how many bots a server can handle before it starts to slow down, and lowend computers probably wouldn't be able to handle it. This is totally unworkable but meh, just throwing ideas out there.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 20, 2013, 04:25:01 pm »
No. This is obviously a Total War ripoff.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 20, 2013, 04:26:39 pm »
I doubt any devs even read this and most likely came to the inspiration for this on their own or from NW commander mode, but I'm still going to take credit for it.

We were doing this in 2010 already.
Don't.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 20, 2013, 04:54:31 pm »
+1
Actually, the best is vaegir cav :

(click to show/hide)

Two handed weapons are the best cav weapons for AI.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 20, 2013, 05:08:37 pm »
Yeah, in spite of their shitty horses Vaegir cav can actually make a mess. I was defending a hill against them with Sarranid infantry and they tore through my guys.
Don't.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 20, 2013, 05:30:25 pm »
And I was watching it.

The thing is, AI is very good when using two handed weapons on horseback. Sarranid mamlukes are an example of that (the one in native singleplayer).
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 20, 2013, 06:28:17 pm »
And I was watching it.

Well, your screenshot shows what happened before, when the cavalry charged a bunch of unattended archers who were mindlessly walking up a hill to greet the enemy. At that point I was just watching in horror myself. But after that the cavalry came to my infantry, who as I said were defending a hilltop in an orderly fashion, and they did almost as well. So yeah, clearly pretty good. Of course it doesn't help that Sarranid infantry are rubbish.
Don't.