Author Topic: Is calling a chinese person "chinaman" racist? (not trying to offend anyone)  (Read 7031 times)

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
I seriuslly hate this "Uh my god its racist, im offended" bullcrap that some minorities have. Grow balls and join the internet son, you are just making more bad blood and not really stepping up for anyone if you claim a simple word to be racist. Chinaman doesnt seem offending imo. This is why I somewhat dislike Pepe too. He sets people up, so that they use some random "offensive" word and then later tries to get em banned. I know its just trolling from his part, but its really not doing anyone a favor.

Offline Winterly

• Count
  • Renown: 230
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • I play with Quiet Mode On.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
I seriuslly hate this "Uh my god its racist, im offended" bullcrap that some minorities have. Grow balls and join the internet son, you are just making more bad blood and not really stepping up for anyone if you claim a simple word to be racist. Chinaman doesnt seem offending imo. This is why I somewhat dislike Pepe too. He sets people up, so that they use some random "offensive" word and then later tries to get em banned. I know its just trolling from his part, but its really not doing anyone a favor.

Nobody was legitimately offended by it...there was only one person who said it was racist and that person was just trolling the other guy. Everyone in this thread is just explaining/expressing their thoughts without spouting "bullcrap".

Lol Carac, you fret too much.

I (at least from what I saw) was the only one who was claiming that was racist, and I was just doing it to tease and piss you off
Winterly's Stuff(selling Courser/buying head and foot armor)
I love how most EU players insert an imaginary "f" into my name: Winterfly.
"Life is kind of like peeing into the snow in a dark winter night, you probably made a difference, but it's really hard to tell" - Joe Wong

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
I know. I just wanted to clarify my stance. The question of the thread was "Is calling a chinese person "chinaman" racist?"

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Is calling a chinese person "chinaman" racist?
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2013, 10:04:28 am »
+1
So because "paki" is racist, calling someone "kazakh" is too?

You can't use the same rule for everything, saying "chinaman" is DEFINITELY racist, don't try to compare it to other things.

How can that be racist ? They aren't black.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
It's probably only considered racist due to historical connotations. I find chinaman a perfectly descriptive term for a man from China. There is nothing offensive in the word itself. You'd probably be best off calling someone from China simply chinese, if you are in fact not trying to offend someone.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
How about these?:

-Turkoman
-Spaniard
-Swede

Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Fuma Kotaro

• Marshall
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm Fubadubbaduma
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Duck
  • Game nicks: Fuma + sth
  • IRC nick: sF_Leonidas
so is it racist calling me a duckling?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
Hahaha, gweilo means ghost bloke.

That's amusing.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
Orient  is not derogatory its just what we brits named the east...  its used in loads of products/companies hell even chinese take aways are called stuff like taste of the orient etc
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
You people need to relax and stop being butthurt about everything.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 1026
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
plz dont call me swede its racist plz so offensive :cry:

What about viking? But I doubt you'll take offense if someone calls you like that.

Barbarian? That might work.

It's pretty easy to offend someone by calling him names he dosen't like. You just need to have little knowledge of history. Offensive names are usually tied to some historical period or event.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
I'm an Englishman.

O crap I offended myself.

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
Chinaman is a contentious English language term that denotes a Chinese man or person, or as a Chinese national, or, in some cases, an indiscriminate term for a person native to geographical East Asia or of perceived East Asian race. Although the term has no negative connotations in older dictionaries,[1][2] and the usage of such parallel compound terms (though Chineseman would technically be the precise parallel) as Englishman, Frenchman and Irishman[3] remain unobjectionable,[4] the term Chinaman is noted as offensive by modern dictionaries. Its derogatory connotations evolved from its use in pejorative contexts regarding the Chinese and other Asians. While usage of the term Chinaman is nowadays strongly discouraged by Asian American organizations,[5][6][7][8] the term has been used by English speakers of Chinese descent and others, without offensive intent,[5][8] and has also been used as a self-referential archetype by authors and artists of Asian descent.[9]

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
Chinaman is a tricky one, since it doesnt sound offensive at all.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
Someone should name themselves americaman