Author Topic: My best recorded example of 2h sword hitting through block.  (Read 7787 times)

Offline Yaron

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • I am daunkey guy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Secret
Re: My best recorded example of 2h sword hitting through block.
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2011, 10:20:46 am »
without reading the rest of the thread:

1. Fix your fps ^^

2. I think you just lifted your blocks to early, maybe due to your lag ... :>
[21:11] <chadz>   i intend to give the 0 army guys a man for free though
[21:12] <chadz>   there will be fun "WTF? I LOST TO ONE GUY BECAUSE NO ONE OF MY TEAM SHOWED UP" threads
[21:12] <chadz>   which will result in me laughing
[21:12] <chadz>   and a happy chadz is a coding chadz

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • Renown: 424
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Murmillus_Prime
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2011, 10:50:40 am »
without reading the rest of the thread:

1. Fix your fps ^^

2. I think you just lifted your blocks to early, maybe due to your lag ... :>

my fps is fine when I'm not running fraps, when I run it, it does studder and freeze sometimes... not sure why................. usually when im turning the camera alot
Dumbfuck.Fuckwit.Cuntshit.Brickfuck.

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2011, 11:02:06 am »
Here's a clip of a nodachi going through post patch..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhTKJGjMIGA

yeah it does look like I release block early but I'm not.... the reason it looks like it's being released is because I've just been killed lol

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2011, 11:24:03 am »

yeah it does look like I release block early but I'm not.... the reason it looks like it's being released is because I've just been killed lol

Oh hell no brotha. You released early. Stop this silly OBVIOUS tap blocking. It is clearly not working for you.

I am a LHB user and have duelled a lot recently and there are moments where I thought something was going thru my block but I have ALWAYS found a reason why it happened.

My ping ranges around 90 and blocks NEVER fail. It is the player who fails, either by releasing too early, tapping block or just pressing attack for a milisecond (extended by the lag) can cause the attack to go through your block ANIMATION, but not the block itself (because there wasn't any at that time).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 11:29:08 am by Vibe »

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2011, 11:38:56 am »
Quit being so snobish at Murmillus guys, he's a good and experienced player that often tops the board in battle and does good teamplay. Be nice.

On the blocking: if you have an example where you clearly just hold block and it goes through, that might help. But to me, it does look like you release block to counterattack. The animation shows your axe at the very first stages of an overhead. If you look at it frame by frame you see that when the blood appears, the axe is almost vertical.

That seems to indicate that Raz just spammed two overheads quickly after eachother. I see a second up-block, but i also see an overhead swing getting started just before you die. So i'm assuming you released block too early on the second block.

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2011, 11:41:28 am »
Guess It would have been wise for me to run the clips through slow motion before posting them..... Meh

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2011, 11:47:28 am »
I can't count how many times i've shouted at my screen: "I blocked that!!! (*&^*&^*!!!"

But often it's because i released too soon or the enemy got around my block with footwork or something like that. One thing you can check for is connection issues. I suspect that packet loss or lag spikes can sometimes cause blocks not to register. Not 100% sure though.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2011, 11:48:55 am »
I can't count how many times i've shouted at my screen: "I blocked that!!! (*&^*&^*!!!"

But often it's because i released too soon or the enemy got around my block with footwork or something like that. One thing you can check for is connection issues. I suspect that packet loss or lag spikes can sometimes cause blocks not to register. Not 100% sure though.

It doesn't look like connection issues to me. The block was not complete when he got hit. Simple as that.

Btw I'm not being snobish. I'm actually quite terrible at dueling myself.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 11:50:17 am by Vibe »

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2011, 12:14:06 pm »
The first video is too confusing to tell, the second video isn't a definite phantom block either, although it could be. Pre-patch, I've seen much more obvious stuff than this, as I said, the one where Tenne's strike clearly went straight through an enemy, the really easy to block one at the start of a fight in Village, another instance where my own blow went straight through an enemy and teamkilled someone standing on the other side of him. I'm not sure how much of a problem phantoms are now...
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2011, 12:17:09 pm »
Also it's weird when my Axehead just meets an enemies head/shield, and the hit won't register!

:?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2011, 01:47:07 pm »

Ooooh Man, You fell for that feint so hard.

For anyone who just wants to watch what is in question repeatedly, tap the 6 button on your keyboard while viewing the video.
If you want to see the block itself being released too early to block the follow-up hit (since it was a feint first), Click on the video at 7 seconds in repeatedly and you'll just watch him releasing the block, his arms coming down [his right hand all the way down to his collar bone; the prep for an overhead attack], only then being hit on the head and dying.

Funny thing: You let go SO early, you almost chambered the overhead with your upcoming attack.

Guess It would have been wise for me to run the clips through slow motion before posting them..... Meh
You can still do it. You'll see exactly what I posted above.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 01:53:38 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Dedicated siege tower pusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2011, 02:03:26 pm »
Difficult to tell on the video. Could you take a screenshot from the original take when the sword goes through the block?

Broken block do exist. I suffer from them sometimes and I am not blaming the mechanisms to cover my mistakes. Lag or packet loss are probably responsible.

I saw it once as a spectator: a player ("Sqawtish", I remember his name) did a upper block but the attack went right through it, no trick feint or whatever, it was a simple and obvious attack. Sqawtish: if you read this, please tell them I am right!

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2011, 02:31:03 pm »
Ok... so I've gone through another clip that I've captured, at first I was 100% sure the hit went through the block.... Slowing the clip down to 1/4 speed shows my error. I release then re-initiate block at the point of his swords impact, at normal speed this would have been hard to see I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIaD7b3VfAY

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2011, 04:40:37 pm »
I can't clearly say what is the case from that video, it is really fast paste,
but some tips i heard here made sence.
1. hearing the sound of the block
2. holding the block a little longer
3. trying a lower sensitivity or perhaps even a higher to react even faster

As far as i know you from fights and training your are very good at blocking, either feints, holded attacks or spam, i believe you that those things happened but can you be 100% of the reason why they happened?

Yeah, i know this from my buckler, too.

I donĀ“t release the block and suddenly a frontal hit goes through and i am dead.
Post patch i noticed several deaths of me where i first thought it was phatom block, but after checking the stats of huscarl i see that the hitbox of huscarl got smaller so i have to lean more into the strikes directions. Because of the small hitboxes and all the ranged stuff flying around  i decided early on against buckler, but i see you doing very well with it same counts for LeoKing.
I am not quite sure but it seems that phantomblocks happens more often when i am fighting close to building, even if i block into the rigth direction many weapons strike past walls into my back somehow, perhaps it were phantom blocks or a mistake i made or lag, but figthing close to nonmovable objects seem to be more dangerous/tricky then it should be.

Well this is also an example of wolves fail. Kinngrimm obviously hasnt trained you in the art of not failing.  :lol:
Constructive advice never helped anyone..... probably.
Well this is also an example of mercs fail. Nocti obviously hasnt trained you in the art of not trolling.  :lol:
Constructive advice never helped anyone..... probably. ;) (trollolol)
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Barracuda

• Knight
  • Renown: 63
  • Infamy: 5
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mersenaamat
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2011, 05:14:41 pm »
I think hits through blocks happen because of networks packet loss or something.

I made a poll about them couple months back because they happened to me quite often. Soon after I got my internet connection upgraded from 20/10 to 100/100. Ping didn't change but I haven't experienced unregistered blocks ever since.