Author Topic: Archery and fun  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Archery and fun
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 11:48:44 am »
- Reduce shot release time window duration
- Reduce projectile speed (a lot)
- Reduce melee range damage, slightly increase long range damage
- Replace the arrow pierce bonus against armor by a malus
- Remove all pierce damage possibilities for archers
- Firing when an enemy is closer than 1 meter automatically fumbles (= nothing happens)
- Moving while drawing the bow leads to a decrease in maximum accuracy
- Moving with the bow already drawn leads to a fumble
- Remove all staggers from ranged damage
- Increase bow stats, nerf heirlooms (normal bows should be current +1, MW bows should be current +2, ammo heirlooms should only increase the capacity)
- Additionally increase bow damage, accuracy and fire rate

Archery now fun for both parties involved, instead of just one.

I mean using a bow is interesting and all but the truth is, 99.99999% of archer just want to shoot at people that can't shoot back.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 12:08:22 pm »
+5
My suggestion is to do nothing.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 05:23:00 pm »
+3
99.99999% of Kafein's are biased and over-exaggerate.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 08:50:30 pm »
I do exaggerate. But I don't like the term "overexaggerating". What does it mean anyway ?

Even if those suggestions are not acceptable, you can't ignore the selling point of ranged classes is precisely this asymmetry.

Offline Belatu

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 111
  • what
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Belatucadros
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 09:14:33 pm »
Game over. Eated alive by ancient trolls and indolent devs.

Please move this thread to spam :(
My fridge is my shield

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 09:20:29 pm »
I do exaggerate. But I don't like the term "overexaggerating". What does it mean anyway ?

Even if those suggestions are not acceptable, you can't ignore the selling point of ranged classes is precisely this asymmetry.

Exaggeration is accepted and expected in the normal course of debate, over-exaggeration is exaggerating to the point that it becomes ridiculous. You can't ignore that your assertion is wrong to the point of having your neck in the sand in order to be able to make it. Most archers I know have an order of priority for their targets that goes: Immediate threats, HX, HA, all other Cavalry, Xbow, Archers, throwers, groups of enemy chasing a friendly, shielders turned sideways or with their backs turned, everyone else.  Notice that the first targets are all able to shoot back except for other Cavalry and who cares about the back stabbers riding horses with ninja hooves anyhow?  99.99999%  :rolleyes:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 09:10:11 pm »
 Its been said before that the class needs fixing.

Certain people see the departure of regular known archers from the servers as a victory, but its in fact a failure to the game and the players. Mostly of you see today are temporary archers who dont last long enought to even make a name for themselfs.
Making an archer move slow is an all over nerf to his efficiency, because a weak melee build with slow motion is even more useless in combat, it wasn't a fair move. And arrow speed had nothing to do with kitting, decreasing that one was also a fail for those who set out to 'ballance the game' and simply removing kitting, because there was no trade, only removal of capabilities.
I would enjoy a class that doesn't require level 34 and an extreme investment in athlectics to be eficiente.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 11:00:38 pm »
+2
Its been said before that the class needs fixing.

Certain people see the departure of regular known archers from the servers as a victory, but its in fact a failure to the game and the players. Mostly of you see today are temporary archers who dont last long enought to even make a name for themselfs.
Making an archer move slow is an all over nerf to his efficiency, because a weak melee build with slow motion is even more useless in combat, it wasn't a fair move. And arrow speed had nothing to do with kitting, decreasing that one was also a fail for those who set out to 'ballance the game' and simply removing kitting, because there was no trade, only removal of capabilities.
I would enjoy a class that doesn't require level 34 and an extreme investment in athlectics to be eficiente.

Or, try to be efficient without being a dick, in other words, without kiting.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 11:11:38 pm »
Archery now fun for both parties involved, instead of just one.

- Archer hits 2her
- 2her goes 'WEEEE I LOVE BEING SHOT BY ARCHERS!!!!'

lol yeah like that's going to happen
 :rolleyes:
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 11:15:12 pm »
- Archer hits 2her
- 2her goes 'WEEEE I LOVE BEING SHOT BY ARCHERS!!!!'

lol yeah like that's going to happen
 :rolleyes:

If there was an opportunity to dodge arrows after they are fired, why not ?

But mainly no, you can only mitigate.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2013, 12:14:36 am »
+1
Rumblood you really shouldn't talk about other people making insanely biased suggestions...
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2013, 12:32:10 am »
Or, try to be efficient without being a dick, in other words, without kiting.

I was a melee archer, Medium armor + mace. What do you think the nerf did to my build? Do you think it's fun swinging at thin air, when your oponent has 3 times your armor weight?
You shoul learn what the problem is before being allowed to post in threads like this, but knowing you I might as well ignore your posts.

If there was an opportunity to dodge arrows after they are fired, why not ?

But mainly no, you can only mitigate.

There always was, if you bothered to learn the timing.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 12:35:29 am by Adamar »

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2013, 09:39:30 am »
I was a melee archer, Medium armor + mace. What do you think the nerf did to my build? Do you think it's fun swinging at thin air, when your oponent has 3 times your armor weight?

Yes. More fun than being shot at anyway. How many quivers you got ?

You shoul learn what the problem is before being allowed to post in threads like this, but knowing you I might as well ignore your posts.

I agree the ammo weight nerf is not ideal, but apparently it's the best solution the devs came up with to reduce kiting.

There always was, if you bothered to learn the timing.

Sure, a little bit. Most often not though, as the time window in which archers have good accuracy is long enough to wait for the dodge move and shoot afterwards (this is the only interesting case as people dodging continously are even easier to hit).

Offline Tindel

• Earl
  • Renown: 333
  • Infamy: 238
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tindel
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2013, 11:47:19 am »
I played one gen as an archer with masterwork bodkin and longbow. It was around a year ago, before the recent nerfs. I spent alot of time shooting people, over and over.

In my opinion it wasnt fun then, i doubt its funny now and i can see no way it will ever be funny.

If you want fun, i suggest any type of infantry build, wear medium armor, have at least 7ath and use a funny weapon, something that appeals to you.

Grats, now you will have fun.

Offline Belatu

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 111
  • what
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Belatucadros
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2013, 05:40:37 pm »
First, please Kafein and others stop Lobying against this thread and the objetive that it has. Just leave it be and give to the people with real lifes one oportunity so our comments and opinions doesnt get deeply shadowed under a forum-post-war.

Second, with a litle bit of imagination it could be posible to get osme ideas so devs can think about it and inspire them, we can get some keys about it.
And yes, I have a melee alter to have some quick fun with my small weekly time for playing. But I really want to see archer heroes back, even if I never will be one of the, due to my ping and my underskillness, I think that ranged hazzard should be there. It makes the ambient more dangerous and hostile, and in my head that is how I imagine medieval times; where you dont really have a moment of peace if you choose to war. Nor moment to rest, nor place place to hide neither a safe a option to choose.

8-)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 06:58:40 pm by Belatu »
My fridge is my shield